iPod owners !!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you are thinking of going to Canada go now or if you go later don't take your iPod with you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7493365.stm

In the UK Virgin Media is sending out letters to subscribers on behalf of the BPI, accusing people of downloading unlicensed music, while proposed laws in Canada would make it a criminal offense to load your iPod with music from CDs you have bought.

I would have pointed out some of the relevant information about steps to curb freedom to protect profit but I know folks think I'm a bit cranky on the subject so I will keep quiet.

:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Can you imagine it?

I-Pod police roaming the urban backwaters each evening and checking teenager's i-Pod contents.

'What's that you have on here sonny? That's illegal, get in the van and down the nick with you...' :lol:

Ridiculous. If that's the case just call me law-breaker :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Can you imagine it?

I-Pod police roaming the urban backwaters each evening and checking teenager's i-Pod contents.

'What's that you have on here sonny? That's illegal, get in the van and down the nick with you...' :lol:

Ridiculous. If that's the case just call me law-breaker :)

I agree you Master Criminal you ,very laughable.
laughingsmiley.gif

Except for the fact that if this is implemented worldwide and you do happen to be caught and prosecuted. You would then have a criminal record and that would have very serious consequences to your life.

This is only a very thin start to a giant wedge.

Can I have permission to go to the toilet now sir.
Yes I have signed the contract .
Yes I have paid the fee.
Yes my toilet has been approved for use by the authorities .
Yes I understand that I must only use the toilet once every day.
Yes I understand that I may only use approved toilet paper.
Yes I understand that I may only use two sheets of approved toilet paper.

Oooooooooooops I have just peed my pants.

Yes I fully realise that to protect humanity and your profits I must now be hung drawn and quartered in a public place because I did not use the approved equipment and the proper procedures.

God bless you sir and thank you for allowing me the freedom to die to help keep mankind safe.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, that's one analogy I suppose.... :eek:

You know what I think? If those laws became real, I reckon musicians and film makers would actually earn less money.

Think about it.

And as for having a criminal record, at my age I really couldn't care less ;)

I had a criminal record once, but it seems to have gone now. CRO check late eighties showed me clean as a whistle, conveniently overlooking crimes of a most heinous and dastardly nature committed in my late teens.

However, that's just the police, gawd knows what MI5/MI6 would turn up :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Well, that's one analogy I suppose.... :eek:

You know what I think? If those laws became real, I reckon musicians and film makers would actually earn less money.

Think about it.

And as for having a criminal record, at my age I really couldn't care less ;)

I had a criminal record once, but it seems to have gone now. CRO check late eighties showed me clean as a whistle, conveniently overlooking crimes of a most heinous and dastardly nature committed in my late teens.

However, that's just the police, gawd knows what MI5/MI6 would turn up :eek:

Well I'm shocked to hear that you have a murky past :rolleyes:

As I have passed the stictest background checks due to being involved with clients at high risk. I can say that I am a squeaky clean member of society now, an that is all I will say.;)

Mind you I keep catching a flash of light up on the hills every now and again an I keep seeing the same chap in a long rain coat when I glance behind me an I'm sure that car with the blacked out windows does seem to be in the same places as me.
laughingsmiley.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good link Urmas :thumb:

From one extreme to the other though eh? ;)

The Dutch also used to allow posession of Cannabis but I believe they have now changed that law and if you like an occasional toke you are liable to get nicked, I believe.

So how long before the Captains of Industry in Holland put pressure on the law-makers to make them even richer?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I believe that Sweden and Spain also did not have copyright laws until the RIAA and the big bad wolves pressured them into changing the law. I'd have to check me facts on that though.

Well done the Dutch for allowing you to make copies for home use. If all the rest of the worlds governments had adopted the same stance we would not have this ridiculous state of affairs.

Over here it is more important to spend time working out how to get the loot to clean out your moat and then cover up the dirty deed than look out for the interests of the population.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas said:
Nope. There have been some "municipality lever" restrictions introduced, though. HOWEVER:

Marijuana Is In, Tobacco Is Out Under Netherlands’ Smoking Ban

:p

Thanks for the clarification, though I note that news article is almost a year old.

I'm sure I read somewhere that cannabis was outlawed and that in Amsterdam the dope cafes have ceased to exist in that form.

Maybe I'm getting confused with their prositution laws, I'll have to check (online that is, not a weekend away ;) ).

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Thanks for the clarification, though I note that news article is almost a year old.

I'm sure I read somewhere that cannabis was outlawed and that in Amsterdam the dope cafes have ceased to exist in that form.

Maybe I'm getting confused with their prositution laws, I'll have to check (online that is, not a weekend away ;) ).

It is always best to get information first hand old chap. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
In the Netherlands, the selling of cannabis is "illegal, but not punishable", so the law is not enforced in establishments following these nationwide rules:

• no advertising
  • no hard drug sales on the premises
  • no sales to minors (people under the age of 18)
  • no sales transactions exceeding a quantity threshold (5 grams)
  • no public disturbances
For some offences, a business may be forced to close for three months, for others, completely; all this is detailed in official policies.

Coffeeshops are no longer allowed to sell alcohol. Most coffee shops advertise, and the constraint is more moderating than outright prohibitive. In a gesture of discretion still technically required, many coffee shops keep the cannabis menu below the counter, even when the cannabis itself is in more-or-less plain view. Dutch coffee shops often fly red-yellow-green Ethiopian flags, other symbols of the Rastafari movement, or depiction of palm leaves to indicate that they sell cannabis, as a consequence of the official ban on direct advertising. This aesthetic attracted many public artists who get commissions to create murals in the coffee shops and use the Rastafari and reggae related imagery.

Any shops selling soft drugs to minors, hard drugs or coffee shops selling alcohol without a license, are immediately closed. These shops provide non-contaminated (and hence relatively safe) cannabis products. Cannabis and any food products containing cannabis are generally clearly identified to prevent accidental consumption.

As of 2009 the sale of THC cookies and brownies known as space cakes in coffee shops is prohibited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_coffee_shop

happywave.gif

Seems pretty sensible to me.
nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
In the Netherlands, the selling of cannabis is "illegal, but not punishable", so the law is not enforced in establishments following these nationwide rules:

• no advertising
  • no hard drug sales on the premises
  • no sales to minors (people under the age of 18)
  • no sales transactions exceeding a quantity threshold (5 grams)
  • no public disturbances
For some offences, a business may be forced to close for three months, for others, completely; all this is detailed in official policies.

Coffeeshops are no longer allowed to sell alcohol. Most coffee shops advertise, and the constraint is more moderating than outright prohibitive. In a gesture of discretion still technically required, many coffee shops keep the cannabis menu below the counter, even when the cannabis itself is in more-or-less plain view. Dutch coffee shops often fly red-yellow-green Ethiopian flags, other symbols of the Rastafari movement, or depiction of palm leaves to indicate that they sell cannabis, as a consequence of the official ban on direct advertising. This aesthetic attracted many public artists who get commissions to create murals in the coffee shops and use the Rastafari and reggae related imagery.

Any shops selling soft drugs to minors, hard drugs or coffee shops selling alcohol without a license, are immediately closed. These shops provide non-contaminated (and hence relatively safe) cannabis products. Cannabis and any food products containing cannabis are generally clearly identified to prevent accidental consumption.

As of 2009 the sale of THC cookies and brownies known as space cakes in coffee shops is prohibited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_coffee_shop

happywave.gif

Seems pretty sensible to me.
nod.gif

I was in Amsterdam last year November, and these "Coffee Shops" barely exsist now...

Reaction score
I'm sure they can all still sell the stuff without people smoking the tobacco joints and make a living....2 billion aint small change in any country....the lira is gone right LOL and 18 euro a gram is way over the top for a bit of hash....it will change everything about the Dam imo.
When is the UK gonna go for the euro ???
Zzzzz

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I was in Amsterdam last year November, and these "Coffee Shops" barely exsist now...

This is what I've heard...

Thing is, after the novelty wore off and the tobacco ban kicked in, I expect most tokers went back to the old way of buying from the street, which is a bit hit and miss when it comes to quality control.

There is also the element of users getting their jollies from knowingly breaking the law and getting a cheap thrill, which is kinda pathetic in my view.

In fact I swear some former dope users I knew only smoked the damn stuff to appear hip and be seen as flying against authority, the pillocks. They probably really hated the stuff :lol:

Zorro said:
When is the UK gonna go for the euro ???

You tell me. Probably when swine take to the wing :D

In the beginning I was broadly for the common market and a common currency, seemed like a good idea to me, financially beneficial. I couldn't care less about traditional currency, only how strong the currency in my pocket is.

Those who shout about 'tradition' would probably welcome back farthings and groats and are somewhat blinkered, imo.

But then Greece joined the common market.

And then most of Eastern Europe :eek:

Which to me kinda kiboshed the whole idea and made me suddenly very traditional and wanting to keep the British pound for currency.

To my mind the richer Euro nations are now subsidising the poorer ones and sad to say I'd like out.

Sad but true.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I were against the Euro from the start as initially Germany and France wanted to be in control :eek:

Me old time mate takes a three week holiday in Moroco every year always stays at the same place and has done so since 1973. Takes him 11 months to straighten out which gives him a week to do stuff before hes banjacksed again.
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I were against the Euro from the start as initially Germany and France wanted to be in control :eek:

How so? I want proof.

But if that were true I also couldn't care less, mostly. Well, not with Germany, anyway, they have a strong economy compared to us.

But France? :eek:

Come on man, they may have a lovely language, tasty women and fine wine but they have never lived down the shame of the UK and America (and quite a few other nations in that effort truth to tell) bailing them out of WW2 when the Germans walked all over them.

I know it's a long time ago but the French would like to make out it never happened.

If you look at history, we've always been rucking with France yet on the whole got on quite well with them krauts.

Funny how things go around and around and around.... ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro

The euro is managed and administered by the Frankfurt-based European Central BankEurosystem (composed of the central banks of the Eurozone countries). As an independent central bank, the ECB has sole authority to set monetary policy. (ECB) and the The Eurosystem participates in the printing, minting and distribution of notes and coins in all member states, and the operation of the Eurozone payment systems.

The 1992 Maastricht Treaty obliges most EU member states to adopt the euro upon meeting certain monetary and budgetary requirements, however, not all states have done so. The United Kingdom and Denmark negotiated exemptions,[8] while Sweden turned down the euro in a 2003 referendum, and has circumvented the obligation to adopt the euro by not meeting the monetary and budgetary requirements. All nations that have joined the EU since 1993 have pledged to adopt the euro in due course.

The euro was established by the provisions in the 1992 Maastricht Treaty. In order to participate in the currency, member states are meant to meet strict criteria such as a budget deficit of less than three per cent of their GDP, a debt ratio of less than sixty per cent of GDP, low inflation, and interest rates close to the EU average. In the Maastricht Treaty, the United Kingdom and Denmark were granted exemptions per their request from moving to the stage of monetary union which would result in the introduction of the euro.

The rates were determined by the Council of the European Union,[29] based on a recommendation from the European Commission based on the market rates on 31 December 1998. They were set so that one European Currency Unit (ECU) would equal one euro. The European Currency Unit was an accounting unit used by the EU, based on the currencies of the member states; it was not a currency in its own right. They could not be set earlier, because the ECU depended on the closing exchange rate of the non-euro currencies (principally the pound sterling) that day.

Outside the Eurozone, a total of 23 countries and territories which do not belong to the EU have currencies that are directly pegged to the euro including 14 countries in mainland Africa (they use the CFP franc, the CFA franc and the Moroccan dirham), 2 African island countries (Comorian franc and Cape Verdean escudo), 3 French Pacific territories and another Balkan country, Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina convertible mark).

With the exception of Bosnia and Herzegovina (which pegged their currency against the German mark) and Cape Verde (formerly pegged to the Portuguese escudo) all of these non-EU countries had a currency peg to the French Franc before pegging their currencies to the euro. Pegging a country's currency to a major currency is regarded as a safety measure, especially for currencies of areas with weak economies, as the euro is seen as a stable currency, prevents runaway inflation and encourages foreign investment due to its stability.

Low levels of inflation are the hallmark of stable and modern economies. Because a high level of inflation acts as a tax (seigniorage) and theoretically discourages investment, it is generally viewed as undesirable. In spite of the downside, many countries have been unable or unwilling to deal with serious inflationary pressures. Some countries have successfully contained them by establishing largely independent central banks. One such bank was the Bundesbank in Germany; as the European Central Bank is modelled on the Bundesbank,[39] it is independent of the pressures of national governments and has a mandate to keep inflationary pressures low.

I belive if memory serves me right that way back when the EEC was set up France and Germany wanted to introduce a common currency that they would be in charge of. This was resisted as the fear at the time was that after loosing two wars Germany was tying for European domination via monetary means rather than military. Britain and others did not like this idea as they wished to retain independance and also a common currency would weaken the pound and result in loss of revenue, status and control.

However due to our stubborness along with otheres their original idea has been severely modified and even though the Euro banking system is based on a German banks model and has its headquarters in Germany ( this gives a financial boost to Germany, jobs etc) they do not have that tottal control they were after.

As you say the world is changing and the once powerful pound is now a shadow of its former self. This has led to a drop in finances for Britain but at least the fight we put up gave our financial sector a chance to remodel and remain a major financial player in the world.

Thats how I see it any ways. I'm not really that much into politics though so it is only a laymans view.

nod.gif

Reaction score
There's quite a few pro's and cons (men) folks but we've had the euro nearly 10years now and all i can say is we were eripped off left right and centre. Firstly retailers thought we couldnt work out how much things were supposed tocost and all of a slap everything was 10-15% dearer....in a matter of days.
Then employers thought they were paying too much cos 300 quid was now 415 if ya catch my drift.
We called the punt, pound and at least it was worth a pound....now a pound is only 78cent or thereabouts.
And i'm gonna stop right there and finish by saying keep your pound for as long as ya can...you WILL be sorry when its gone.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Hi Flops....4 hours on nearly and i have only just spotted the Zorro quote, nice....here was me thinkin i must send some feedback asking how that mistake was made (hehehe)
Funny how things go around and around and around....
wink.gif

Zzzzz

Ask a Question