Pirate Party launches UK poll bid !!!!!!!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8199143.stm

"The Pirate Party - which won a surprise seat in the European Parliament in Sweden - has launched in the UK.

The party, which campaigns to legalise non-commercial internet file-sharing and has branches in 25 countries, plans to contest the next general election.

It also campaigns for free speech and against "excessive surveillance".

The party says it wants to reform copyright and patent law and believes peer-to-peer networking should be encouraged rather than "criminalized".

It also wants to introduce an alternative to pharmaceutical patents throughout Europe that it says will save on drug costs to governments."

Now that looks like a decent set of proposals. Much better than our present shower of MP's failures.

Will you be hoisting the Jolly Rodger at the next election ????

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When I was doing my year's day release at SE London College in 1986 to gain City & Guilds Electronic Servicing Pt III (Colour TV Reception and Digital techniques) I met a Vietnamese immigrant who hadn't been here that long and had escaped the violence in his home country by boat.

One day in the canteen, when we pushed him for his story, he told of his boat being invaded and taken over by pirates.

The pirates, over 3 days, transferred all valuables to their own boat, tied up all the men and systematically raped and sexually abused all the women, who included the refugee's wives and children.

During the third evening one of the refugees managed to free himself, steal a machine gun from one of the sleeping drunken pirates, shoot them all, throw them overboard and steal the pirates boat.

They eventually made it to Southern France where they were held in quarantine for nine months before being allowed into the UK. The guy I spoke to wished nothing more than to 'Get an education, gain employment and contribute to this country that had been kind enough to save his life'

A tale that I still think about.

So no, I wouldn't trust anybody calling themselves 'pirate' as far as I can throw them.

Politics.

To quote from Who's Next 'Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...'

In my experience anybody who would aspire to power is probably already 50% corrupted.

We are human and therefore not perfect.

Reaction score
If file sharing became the norm, how exactly would the developers of software/games/DVDs/musicians make any money?

File sharing is actually theft. You are stealing something that you haven't paid for.

The punishments for being 'caught' are obscene and need to be adjusted to suit the nature of the crime - i.e pay back the value of what it is you have stolen, plus a fine of some kind - but fact remains that if everybody file-shared everything, there would be no money to make new software or whatever it is you are sharing.

Up yous Pirate party, you free loaders.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
If file sharing became the norm, how exactly would the developers of software/games/DVDs/musicians make any money?

File sharing is actually theft. You are stealing something that you haven't paid for.

The punishments for being 'caught' are obscene and need to be adjusted to suit the nature of the crime - i.e pay back the value of what it is you have stolen, plus a fine of some kind - but fact remains that if everybody file-shared everything, there would be no money to make new software or whatever it is you are sharing.

Up yous Pirate party, you free loaders.

Did you actually read my first post ???

happywave.gif