iPhone 5 (or 'New iPhone') - Now Released + Reviews Thread

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Hmmm I'm quite surprised at that, especially given the price!

P.S. So I take it you're one of the 2 million then?! :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
P.S. So I take it you're one of the 2 million then?! :nod:
Yes i did, couldn't resist it! :cool:

I got my Nano Sim from Vodafone yesterday. :)

Couple of reviews....

http://allthingsd.com/20120918/the-iphone-takes-to-the-big-screen/
Bottom Line
Apple has taken an already great product and made it better, overall. Consumers who prefer huge screens or certain marginal features have plenty of other choices, but the iPhone 5 is an excellent choice.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/apple-iphone-5-review/
The iPhone 5 is a significant improvement over the iPhone 4S in nearly every regard, and in those areas that didn't see an upgrade over its predecessor -- camera, storage capacity -- one could make a strong case that the iPhone 4S was already ahead of the curve. Every area, that is, except for the OS. If anything, it's the operating system here that's beginning to feel a bit dated and beginning to show its age.

Still, the iPhone 5 absolutely shines. Pick your benchmark and you'll find Apple's thin new weapon sitting at or near the top. Will it convince you to give up your Android or Windows Phone ways and join the iOS side? Maybe, maybe not. Will it wow you? Hold it in your hand -- you might be surprised. For the iOS faithful this is a no-brainer upgrade. This is without a doubt the best iPhone yet. This is a hallmark of design. This is the one you've been waiting for.

Battery life:
On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes. That's just 10 minutes shy of the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx.
For those of you who don't know what the RAZR Maxx is, it has a massive battery and generally has the best battery life of any smartphone.

Speed:
Two times faster? Twice the graphics performance? Better battery life? Actually, yes. The iPhone 5 over-delivers on all those promises. Running the Geekbench test suite on the iPhone 4S gave us an average score of 634. The iPhone 5 netted an average of 1,628. That's more than twice as fast and, while you won't necessarily see such huge increases in day-to-day usage, apps do load noticeably quicker, HDR images are processed in half the time and tasks like video rendering in iMovie are equally expedient.

SunSpider scores average at 924ms, which is more than twice as fast as the 2,200ms the iPhone 4S manages and still quite a bit quicker than the 1,400ms scored by the Galaxy S III and the 1,700ms managed by the HTC One X. More important than numbers, web pages load very quickly, snapping into view as fast as your data plan can shovel the bits into Safari and, once there, smoothly reacting to your gestures.
I was most interested in the battery life and so far, I like what I hear.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Pocket Lint's review: http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5989/apple-iphone-5-phone-review

SlashGear review: http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-review-18247708/

Also: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6309/iphone-5a6-sunspider-performance

Confirming the A6 likely has a very impressive memory interface/cache:

rkFldl.png

Either way, it's no slouch.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey, just to get a little perspective... ;)

8200d1348065729-iphone-5-new-iphone-now-released-reviews-thread-samsung-ad.jpeg

Attachments

• samsung ad.jpeg
    samsung ad.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 370

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol, whoever did that needs to do their homework. To start the S3 had 1GB RAM not two. ;)

...and lol at those battery stats..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I took that picture from Here. Make of it what you will.

I long held the view the only true thing ever published in a newspaper was the date and that's the attitude I still have when viewing internet articles and so called 'truths'. So yes, the Samsung 'ad' could very well be a mistruth but it must be a good thing if it rubs fanboys' noses in it ;)

I held a Samsung Galaxy 3 today and it's rather large. Nice looking bit of kit though, as is the iPhone 5, gotta say.

The clinchers when making a choice for some may be: the Samsung has a standard mini USB connection and a removable battery. That's how I see it anyway.

Still, it's all a bit nit picky really, enjoy your new toy when it arrives, my daughter's definitely excited about getting her one on Friday.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
so, you swapping to EE service then V_R ?

:lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Nay not me.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/jealousy
Understanding Jealousy

As emotions go, jealousy is neither subtle nor kind, but it is definitely complex, encompassing feelings from fear of abandonment to rage to humiliation. It strikes both men and women when they perceive a third-party threat to a valued relationship, and that distinguishes it from envy, which involves wanting something someone else has. Conventional wisdom holds that jealousy is a necessary emotion because it preserves social bonds, but it more often destroys them. And it can give rise to relationship violence.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/am-i-right/201208/envy
To be envious is to measure yourself against another’s talents, reputation or possessions. Jealousy is closely related to envy. Here not only do you want these for yourself, but you also want to take them away from the other person. Envy and jealousy, therefore, are forms of power, ineffectual and harmful as they are, because you want to deprive others of what they have.
Envy arises from feelings of inadequacy, a sense of hollowness and unworthiness. Closing the gap between what others have and what you want by having others lose what they have is to bolster yourself at another’s expense, always a risky enterprise.

The truth is that we can never be deprived, no matter what others have. The world is wide and all the riches are before us. Life is a treasure trove, and we will have what we need, if we look in the right places.

I stopped being envious of others toys when I was in junior school. It was the day me dad gave me a penknife and told me that it would provide me with more entertainment for longer than any flashy toy. :cool:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
can I has a Samsung III ... please, pretty please, with sugar. :drool:

Enjoy you new phone V_R. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Have you seen how much these are going for on eBay...?

I could make some good money out of this....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me jelly? A tad, a smidgen, but all I really want is a phone I feel comfortable with, is all, have never been a one for having the latest gizmo, that's usually the reserve of fashion victims, style fanboys and folks with more money than sense.

In fact the whole buzz surrounding the release of anything Apple from a herd of sheeple is enough to make me run in quite the opposite direction.

You see, I couldn't give a rat's nether quarters about being in style, never really have done, from the age of 16 til now those digits are reversed (apart, maybe, from always wanting jeans by Levis and nobody else). Anyhow, at my age it would be pretty pathetic trying to be stylish, lol

I will allow myself the dubious pleasure of not being uncool, but that's my limit.

It's a funny thing but the more Apple release products and the more people want to snap them up, the less serviceable those products become. Buy it today and in two years throw it away - unofficial Apple sales blurb ;)

I could go on til the cows come home knocking Apple, they're an easy target and easily just as bad as Microsoft with their despicable business practices but when it comes down to it I do like the iPhone and I really wouldn't mind one of their desktop jobbies - if it was a gift....

If I'd secured an iPhone 5 and could make a big profit, I'd flog it. Mr Flops he say better to have cash in pocket and iPhone one month later than have the 'pleasure' of flashing latest tech toy on crowded train or pub (and then getting mugged for it later same day, lol)

Enough! V_R, as I said, sincerely, enjoy your new toy :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Indeed i do. :)

Infact i was just coming to post his very thing. Good news! Though i doubt we will see any form be it tethered or not for a while yet. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I stayed in all day today awaiting delivery of daughter's iPhone5 - it never showed. No courier cards left either so no attempted delivery, they just didn't deliver it. Network that made promise was 02.

This is why I won't be caught up in this crapola, imagine the disappointment.

It's a phone for ****'s sake. How much fun can one person have with a phone? Not a lot in my book. Pah!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Mine was delivered via UPS, direct from Apple. Was on my desk at work by 11.30am.

I've read that a lot of orders from any other the mobile networks didn't show or have been notified that they may not get them until next week... I'd be a very unhappy chappie...!

Anyway, i'm just off to bed as i have a very busy day tomorrow. But just a quick note on how i'm finding it....

- Screen is awesome, not just the size, but the colours and clarity are much better.
- Vodafone activated my Nano sim in minutes of calling them, which is good.
- Restore from my backup on my JB'ed 4S went without a hitch.
- Phone is very fast and smooth!
- Map app isn't great, but i have just set up a desktop shortcut to the googlemaps web page until Google release their maps app...
- Other than the maps, iOS6 is great, much prefer the look of the music player and the status bar etc.
- will be trying the camera etc tomorrow so i'll see how that goes.

Looks like the 4S can be gone quicker than i thought! :D

Ask a Question