Windows 7 Internet Links

Reaction score
In the last few weeks I've noticed that I have a problem opening links within a web site on certain web sites. E.G. When I click on Autotrader I'll get the first page listing the cars but when I click on the more details link I get a completely blank page with no error message or buffer icon or anything to indicate that the page is not going to open. I have tried my default browser (IE11), Google Chrome and Firefox, and they all do the same. Tis doesn't happen with the majority of web sites and it works when I use other PC's (wife's laptop, work PCs). It also does it on a couple of other web sites

As I'm selling a car and looking to buy a replacement car, this is not a good time to happen!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does it only happen on the autotrader website?

Also, which anti-virus/anti-malware software do you run? I'd be interested to know if pausing it temporarily before visiting a problematic page would help. I've found that anti-virus software can occasionally cause problems like this.

Another thing to try would be to press F12 in your browser before visiting a problematic page. Then, once you've hit an error, check the "console" tab in the developer tools menu that opened and see if there are any details there. If there are, please post a screenshot here and I'll take a look :).

Reaction score
Hi Ian

Autotrader is the only site that I've experienced it with, though there may be others that I just haven't found yet.

AV is Kaspersky, Malware is Malwarebytes I have done full scans with both

So far I have also:
Uninstalled IE11 and returned back to IE8, then reinstalled IE11. The problem happens with Chrome and Firefox.
Stopped the AV when loading
Run the page without the Add-ons
I didn't do a Windows restore as I found that my Restore point was switched off, it's back on now
I have attached a file with the full script when I pressed the F12 key as I clicked on the link
I'm pretty sure it is something on my machine as Autotrader works on my IPAD and PC at work and it didn't matter which browser I tried they all did the same.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• DOCTYPE html.pdf
    609.6 KB · Views: 375

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information, Jerry. Unfortunately, the attachment shows the source code of the page which I can't do much with. I've attached a picture of the information that may be able to help me diagnose the problem. If you load AutoTrader in Chrome, wait for the problem to happen, press F12 and then click the console tab and take a screenshot of that image.

Here's an example I did on this page (although thankfully it shows no error):

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ian

As requested. Screen print in Chrome is attached

Jerry

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 165

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Jerry, that still appears to be showing the "elements" tab, rather than the "console" tab.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just noticed that the page you are viewing is a 1x1 pixel, so it's displaying as expected - that is very puzzling. If you can replicate this easily again, could you let me know the URL of the previous page (a working one) and the link you click on to get to this place. I will try and replicate this and see what happens.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry. What happens if you directly click the link below, does that work or does it show a blank page?:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...&make=ford&year-to=2013&year-from=2007&page=1

I wonder if you've been infected with some sort of malware that is re-writing links. Could you try running the free version of MBAM and see if that detects anything please:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

The only other thing I can think of is that if you have an ad-blocker installed, it may be picking up the "advert" part of the URL and blocking the link.

Reaction score
It showed the advert. I ran Malwarebytes a couple of weeks ago but nothing changed. I don't know about ad-blocker, where would I find that as I've never knowingly installed one.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm out of ideas unfortunately Jerry. I'll keep having a think on this and see if I can find another possible solution. Perhaps someone else will have some suggestions too.

Reaction score
Thanks for trying Ian. Strange thing is that now when I click on the car detail link in your previous response I get a message to say they've encountered a problem and to go to the main site and try again.

I give up, I'll just use the PC at work to buy and sell a car

Ask a Question