Internet Explorer Wallpaper folder missing?

Reaction score
Hello all. Just wondering whether anyone can help with a problem I'm currently experiencing?

My husband and I have seperate log ons on our laptop. Whenever one of us changes our wallpaper, it also changes the other persons to the same image. This has happened before and we've managed to resolve it, but this time I can't figure it out.

I've tried accessing the file path "C:\Documents and Settings\User
profile\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" to access the Internet Explorer Wallpaper folder but it just isn't there on my log on. I've checked that I can view hidden files and folders and I can, but the directory just seems to be missing.

Is there anything I can do? Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
err, the "desktop" wallpaper is not the same as Internet Explorer's

if you both have "administrator" rights, ie; log on with an admin account then what one does to the OS (operating system) will effect all "users" and that is the key word, users. :)

Did you set a wallpaper with Internet Explorer? If so, then it will be saved on your disk as a file named "Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp" in the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

What OS?

Welcome to PCReview.

:user:

Reaction score
Hi muckshifter. Thanks for the welcome, and for replying so quickly - I appreciate your help!

We're on Windows 7, and yes we both have administrator priviledges but we've both been able to set different desktop backgrounds for ages, it's only this last time we've tried to change our individual displays that they appear to be linked.

On this occasion I right clicked over an image online (accessed via Explorer) and selected to Set as Background. However, it doesn't appear as a bmp. file in the location you've suggested. When opening the AppData directory, I have 3 options 'Local', 'LocalLow' & 'Roaming' - checked the Internet Explorer folders in each, but the image doesn't appear anywhere.

It's not a major problem, just a bit annoying that it seems to have happened out of the blue. Would you suggest removing Administrator status from one of our user accounts to try to remedy the situation? Thanks again - I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to stuff like this!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nobody is a dunce, we just don't know as much as we would like. :)

One reason I asked what OS, Win7 is a we bit different. :D

ah, Internet Explorer ... well, I use Google's Chrome so I don't 'see/have' a Set as Background and I would not suggest using it, but instead I would "save as" and then, when asked, save the pic in my personal folder for pictures.

I did fire up IE8 to see what your were doing, I didn't know the IE8 could do that, so you taught me something new. :D

ok, try ...

Right-click the Windows 7 desktop and click "Personalize" on the pull-down menu. If you are currently using an Internet Explorer image as your wallpaper, the "Desktop Background" section at the bottom of the window reads "Internet Explorer Wallpaper."

Click the "Desktop Background" picture.

Click the "Picture Location" pull-down menu and choose the folder on your computer where the picture that you want to use is located. If the folder is not shown, click the "Browse" button and direct Windows to the location of the picture.

Click the picture that you want to use as the new Windows 7 background image, then click "Save Changes."

you really want this to be in your personal picture folder

hope that helps, a bit. :)

Win 7, however, uses Libraries, and it's worth getting to know how that works, if, like me you take thousands of pictures, or, just a few you wanna keep track of.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Working-with-libraries

if you need more help, please feel free to ask. :wave:

Reaction score
Hmm. Curiouser and curiouser. Followed your instructions (thanks so much!) and kept switching between mine and my husband's user accounts to see what was happening.

When I changed the desktop image on my log on and checked my husband's Personalize window, the image in the bottom left (labelled "Internet Explorer Wallpaper") shows his original image, but his actual desktop image is the new one I've just put on. Did it the other way too (ie changed the image from his user account) and it did the same thing. Bizarre, eh?! :confused:

I'll check out Libraries and see if I can get to grips with it - thanks for the tip!

Ask a Question