Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down

On certain wesbites that I know are safe, I get a message that says "click to
run active X control on this webpage", and as soon as I do, I get an error
message that says that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs
to close", and it closes IE. And in the past, when I used to get those
same error messages for other problems, and I clicked on "send report" to
Microsoft it would direct me to the microsoft solution center. It no longer
does. Am wondering what both these problems might be.
I'm running WXP and am current on all the updates.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000
Thanks for anyone's help!
Blessings,

Jessica

I also get the dreaded I get an error message that says that "Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" messages and it closes
IE. Always on safe sites and I too have all the latest updates from
Microsoft. Is there something else I need to do? It usually happens whenever
I finally find what I am looking for then...bang...I have to start all over.

Any advice would be helpful.
Michael ([email protected]).

I am having the same problems! IE6 keeps crashing! That awful "Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem...yada, yada, yada!" I'm so sick of seeing
that message! I also have all the latest and greatest (supposedly) from
Microsoft, and it inevitably used to happen when I would get to the exact
spot I'd want to be and..ZAP!...back to square one! Now it happens about 5
seconds after I sign on to the internet IF I USE WINDOWS LIVE. but you can't
blame Windows Live, because I've been using that new feature for quite some
time now and NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. The USUAL IE6 crashing has been going on
for AGES - before Windows Live came on board! However, if anyone is
considering upgrading to IE7Beta2 to escape the IE6 problems, don't do it!
You'll just be exchanging one set of problems for another. Does anyone out
there know how to fix this problem with Internet Explorer WITHOUT having to
do a complete System Restore? Because someone already recommended that to me
a few weeks ago. I did that. Here it is about 3 weeks later and Internet
Explorer is back to its old tricks. Can anyone help!!????? Please??!!

Don Varnau

Hi,
Have you done a thorough check for malware (adware, spyware, parasites,
trojans, etc.) lately?
See these sites for help:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Security/prevention...
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.php#protect

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Gr@mKr@cKeR said:
[...]

Charlene
Jessica said:
On certain wesbites that I know are safe, I get a message that says "click to
run active X control on this webpage", and as soon as I do, I get an error
message that says that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs
to close", and it closes IE. [snip]

Don Varnau

Hi,
If there isn't a solution which fits your Error Report, you won't receive a
reply.

Your ActiveX problem could be with Java, Javascript, Flash, or other types
of active content. Can you post a couple of the URLs which cause the
problem? On a hunch, in Control Panel> Java Plug-In> About, which version of
Java Runtime Environment is installed?

Have you checked for malware recently?
See these sites for help:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Hi,
See my answer to Charlene in this thread regarding malware. It should help
with your problem.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Michael241 said:
I also get the dreaded I get an error message that says that "Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" messages and it closes
IE. Always on safe sites and I too have all the latest updates from
Microsoft. Is there something else I need to do? It usually happens whenever
I finally find what I am looking for then...bang...I have to start all over.

Any advice would be helpful.
Michael (michaell[at]nemontel.net).

I have experience this "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and
needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" since I downloaded
IE7beta. Does this have to do with ID article 834273 described for IE6? As
stated with the previous emails and replies...this error is found in IE6 too.
The article describes that this error results when viewing web pages that
uses cascading style sheet. Apparently there is a hotfix but you have to
request it. I found this info in the help and support section. Type in the
article ID number and do a search. It has a description of the error. I
have sent in this info to microsoft support group in the hopes that they will
provide a hotfix. Check it out.

I will let you know if I get a positive response.

Jessica said:
On certain wesbites that I know are safe, I get a message that says "click to
run active X control on this webpage", and as soon as I do, I get an error
message that says that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs
to close", and it closes IE. And in the past, when I used to get those
same error messages for other problems, and I clicked on "send report" to
Microsoft it would direct me to the microsoft solution center. It no longer
does. Am wondering what both these problems might be.
I'm running WXP and am current on all the updates.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000
Thanks for anyone's help!
Blessings,

Jessica

This reflects simmilar problems we are having right now. Ever since our
windows update downloaded an automatic update for Java on 15th June. 2 things
now happen.
1. our isp is AOL. and each time we boot up "AOLascd.exe" has to close. this
is our connectivity service.
2. each time we try to open our printer toolbox it fails. this is HP
package. ref HPW8TBX.EXE.
the Java update was called "J2SE runtime environment 1.5.0_06.605" and this
was an automatic update.
To confirm we have reinstalled aol and HP printer software. we have also
done a full system HQ scan for viruses today. re installed and disabled
Mcafee security centre to no avail. we have all packages of spyware, spam
controls and antivirus all working and checked. At this point we are only
unsure about the Java update. Is there something else we might be
overlooking? is there a known compatibility issue?

Jessica said:
On certain wesbites that I know are safe, I get a message that says "click to
run active X control on this webpage", and as soon as I do, I get an error
message that says that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs
to close", and it closes IE. And in the past, when I used to get those
same error messages for other problems, and I clicked on "send report" to
Microsoft it would direct me to the microsoft solution center. It no longer
does. Am wondering what both these problems might be.
I'm running WXP and am current on all the updates.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000
Thanks for anyone's help!
Blessings,

Jessica

Don Varnau

Hi,
First, I would contact AOL support about the AOLascd.exe problem.

Next...
The current version of Sun Java JRE is 5.0 Update 7 (
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp ) You might try a manual update of
Java from Control Panel> Java> Update> Update now. After updating, check Add
or remove programs and uninstall any other versions of Java which are
listed.

Plan B (Java)
You could try rolling back to JRE 5.0_5 Look for JDK/JRE-5.0 at
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

Have you searched http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html for
support documents which might help?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

thanks, we did a repair on AOL connectivity service, they then sent an AOL
update which finally fixed it. we have checked our update on java and its
tested ok.
Just the HP printer tools unresolved. thanks for the pointers.