Internet Explorer 9 RC?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are there many people using the IE9 RC? I installed it a week or so ago to see if PCR worked ok (thankfully it does), but I've kept it installed.

I tried the beta a few months ago and wasn't too impressed with the stability, so I rolled back to IE8. Things seem to have changed a decent amount and it's now just as stable as IE8 for me and runs well :)

What do other IE9 users think? Are you going to stick with it, or move on to FF/Chrome/other?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Been tempted, but i'm a FF fan. Its it any good? Better?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
no speelcheckter ... pass

will stick with Chrome :nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Been tempted, but i'm a FF fan. Its it any good? Better?

It's an improvement on IE8 IMO, but it's not got the array of plugins that FF does - so if you've got a tweaked version it may not be what you are after. Like Mucks says, the lack of spell-checker is a disappointment (although IESpell works, it's not as good as the inline ones available for other browsers).

From what I can see, the main improvements for most users are:
  • Large page area (smaller menu/nav bars by default).
  • Faster rendering
  • HTML5 support
  • Basic download manager
  • Extra filtering options for ActiveX

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I installed IE9 RC, but seems to crash on me. I use Firefox 4 beta with a few about;config changes annd it flies for me. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chrome are crap :p

Firefox is Crap :p

There, that should get up people's noses as others are being quite obnoxious here then so will I :D

For the past three or four days every time I boot Win 7 I'm getting this pop up telling me I have an urgent update. Turns out the urgent update is IE9 :mad:

And I can't seem to disable the option within my updates.

Sometimes I'd like to give MS a big kick. But I can't so I just close the popup.

I remember I didn't care for IE8 at first but I got used to it so my question is - is IE9 any good? Stable yet? Any probs? Depending on answers received (apart from smartarse replies like 'IE is rubbish!' ;) )I will or not install it.

And is it possible to roll back to IE8 should I like like Mr Ballmer's latest offering?

Talking of MS's CO, here's some video footage of this completely sane person:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
And is it possible to roll back to IE8

Yes it is. I did just that after trying IE9 and finding it slowed everything down. That was a couple of months ago. Maybe it's better now, might try again.

I like Chrome but it doesn't seem compatible with PCR :confused:. So now on IE8 and happy. :dance:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm getting this pop up telling me I have an urgent update. Turns out the urgent update is IE9

That eventually "got" to me too. It was annoying, so I gave-in. To be fair, I am quite pleasantly surprised by IE9, and I genuinely find myself liking it more now... plus it seems to be a lot speedier than former incarnations. :thumb:

My default browser is still FF - but I would have to go along with Sir Flopps in disliking Chrome. Just cannot seem to get on with it at all.

Ask a Question