A quick look @ Internet Explorer 9

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I wanted to give this "new" version a real tryout before passing judgment like, it's crap!

I seem to have fallen at my first hurdle however ... Adobe Flash with IE9 Win7 64bit, they (adobe) still can't seem to build software. :(

To be fair that's not IE9s fault, but once again relying on a third party for support software. :rolleyes:

I gave up, can't be bothered jumping through hoops to "install" something other browsers have as default.

IE9 = 2 out of 10 for no 64bit support for the likes of YouTube :sleep:

we won't mention no speelcheckter support either. :lol:

:wave:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah I read that javascript in IE9 x64 was substantially slower than the 32bit version...

I quite like it, but FF with twenty ten theme is my default browser, keep meaning to give FF RC1 a go but never get round to it....

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score

but FF with twenty ten theme is my default browser, keep meaning to give FF RC1 a go but never get round to it....

Firefox 4 with a few tweaks in about:config is the best I would say :cheers:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Since downloading IE9 a few days ago some things seem slow to appear after clicking on them. The odd one is unbelievably slow.

Could this be IE9?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Could you give us any less to go on? :D

What 'things?'

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
ANYTHING that I click on. Any website, any post in PCR, the inbox in Gmail, in fact, ANY click to bring up a new Window. The response was always almost instant on IE8 but there are sometimes delays on IE9. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Odd, mine fine, though i still dont use it. :)

Have you played with any settings? Are other browsers ok?

BTW, i noticed with IE9 came another useless process running in task manager. msfeedsync.exe, for RSS feeds. Disabled via Internet Options > Content Tab > Feeds and Web Slices Settings at the bottom. Untick the boxes, hit ok.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've gone back to IE8.

I felt that IE9 seemed to slow things down. :mad:

Anyone else had problems?

muckshifter

Reaction score
I've gone back to IE8.

I felt that IE9 seemed to slow things down. :mad:

Anyone else had problems?
I did notice it was a wee bit slower than my preferred Browser, but I really didn't give it much more than an hour or so.

I shouldn't need to have to go searching for an "ad-on" to view videos on the likes of YouTube even if I am using 64bit system, come on, all the non-MS browsers have now built-in support.

What I would say however, is, IE8 is not being properly supported and as such has some vulnerabilities unpatched that don't effect other browsers, even IE9

Secunia reports that IE6 has 24 known unpatched vulnerabilities, IE7 has 11, and IE8 has 4. All are rated Extremely critical. The oldest known unpatched vulnerabilities for IE6, IE7, and IE8 date from November 7, 2003, June 6, 2006, and February 26, 2007 respectively.

You do use Secunia? :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sometimes I think I'm odd.

I've always liked IE, don't know why, I just do and it has never crashed on me.

Currently using IE8 on all Windows machines, Opera within Linux Mint. I like the Opera Browser.

I have tried Firefox many times, I have tried to like it but the fact is I just couldn't get on with it, never have been able to. I don't like it, simple.

I loaded Firefox within Win XP a few weeks back principally just to use an add-on that let me grab any online video, not just Youtube, everything, and it works a treat. I also liked the fact FF appeared to have different skins although when I chose one I couldn't see what difference it made.

I also couldn't figure out how to close a Window in FF, unless it's made so that at least one window must be open all the time.

I haven't tried Chrome, although I might.

I haven't tried Safari and I'm not going to.

I'll give IE9 a month for those overpaid fellows at Redmond to sort out the bugs and then give it a try.

And that, my furry friends, is wot I fink of browsers :blush:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
You do use Secunia? :)

Certainly do. And I always keep it up to date.

However, there are two End-of Life programs that repeatedly come up and no amount of Installing Solution seems to get rid of them. Both have been repeatedly "updated" and do not appear in Control Panel but still come up on the Secunia scan. :confused:

muckshifter

Reaction score
End-of Life programs are just that, so no end of "updating" will help as there won't be any. What are they?

"Secunia primary goal is to inform you, via it's FREE security tool, that is designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks."

Me, I still use Chrome ... have tried FF, several time, just can't be bothered with it's waffle ... I also do like IE9, if you installed it, you also "installed" the intrigrated desktop extras for explorer, however, I will wait for them (MS) to "fix" it for the purpose. :)

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
End-of Life programs are just that, so no end of "updating" will help as there won't be any. What are they?

They are MS Powerpoint Viewer 2003 and Adobe Shockwave Player 10x.

Both have more up to date versions on my system - I have Powerpoint 2007 and Shockwave 11x both working without problems. Just unable to find the older versions to delete them.

It just makes the Secunia scans look untidy with these two popping up every time. :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
First check "add & remove programs" to see if they are still being listed, if not there, then you can use Secunia to go to the relevant folders & delete the offending file/program.

Adobe were/are renound for installing updates but not removing the old program, they ain't alone in this arcane practice. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, Mucks. :thumb:

Successfully deleted them using the Secunia program and now the scan results look neat and tidy with 100% result. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey Ian, Just noticed something in IE9.

The quick reply smilies. In FF they are all there in IE9 its only a few show up.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• pcr.png
    pcr.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 207

Ask a Question