interesting problem- would you know how to fix this?

robinb

I created a user limited account on my windows xp pro computer. Windows
Installer came out and installed office 2003 so it would work for the
limited user. Windows Defender popped up telling me that a new program was
being installed and if i wanted to allow it. When I clicked on WD icon it
showed it as succeed but still asked what I wanted to do. I could not click
on allow- because it was shaded out. I could not do a thing because
everything was shaded out and the WD icon stayed blue in the taskbar waiting
for me to do something.
On my side where I have administrative priviliges I checked to make sure in
both boxes all users have access to do things and it did.
Why would it not allow me to do anything on the limited side since
everything was checked on the admin side?
robin

Bill Sanderson MVP

I have to confess that I've done little with limited users--but I wonder if
this is an XP restriction, rather than Defender?

If you turn off Defender, can the limited user do the install?

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - Networking]

I don't know how Windows Installer fits in, but in general it is common to
require an administrator to install.

Common installation tasks that have this requirement due to default
permissions/rights are:

Writing to \Program Files.
Writing to HLKM\Software, which a limited user cannot.
Writing a shared DLL file in the system32 folder.
Installing a service.

Paul

robinb

no windows installer installed MS Word on the limited account.
WD was the problem because it would not let you "allow" disallow" anything-
everything is grayed out.
The icon just sat in the right side of the taskbar with a blue ? through it
but would not allow you to do a thing when you opened the program but it did
say it permited it and succeeded.
Limited accounts can do some things.
I set up this particular one so that my son had no access to my files and
certain programs and so he could not 'fool around with any of my settings"
I just gave him the abilitity to use Microsoft Office 2003 and firefox.

But in the WD program (with full administrative access) if you check in
tools/options, administrative options, and check the two boxes it gives
limited access users the ability to apply actions, etc.
I am wondering if this is a bug in WD

robin
"Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - Networking]" <[email protected]>

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - Networking]

I sorry, I don't know anything about the Windows Defender part of this. It
does sound like a bug, though.

Limited accounts can do just about anything if you give them the right
permissions and rights, but under all reasonable circumstances, they can't
install a program. I have read what you said again and it seems you are
saying that an administrator is doing the installing with the intent that a
limited user can use it. Sure, that should work.

Paul