Installing Mandrake

Reaction score
I've just downloaded Mandrake 10.1 (Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD1.i586.iso) to install on a Windows computer. Although set to boot from CD the message I get is 'Boot from CDrom ....Failure' and then Windows kicks in. Does anyone know what is wrong, Windows can't open the iso either.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Use the following instructions for newer versions of Nero

Start Nero
  1. Choose the menu command "File"->"Burn Image"
  2. An "Open" file dialog box appears with the following image types supported (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue)
  3. Select your download LinuxISO file and click Open
  4. The "Write CD" dialog box appears with several tabs (Info, Foreign image, Misc, Burn).
  5. Click the 'Burn' Tab
  6. Confirm that 'Write' and 'Finalize' are selected
  7. Click on "Write". Watch it burn.
Another user wrote: If 'Finalize CD' (No further writing possible!) check box is not checked, a Nero - Burning Rom message box appears stating, "There is not enough space available to burn this compilation unless the CD is finalized after burning." "Do you want Nero to finalize it after burning?" Click the Yes button.

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/neroburning.html

http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Reaction score
The CD is burnt already - it's the other PC that refuses to boot from it. I've run md5sum and it checks out OK, so I think I have forgotten something somewhere.

muckshifter

Reaction score
So what do you 'see' on the Linux boot CD ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Then you have NOT burnt the CD correctly ... ;)

Reaction score
Do you know what is missing - as it took about 2 hours to download and I don't fancy doing it all again if I don't need to?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Nothing is 'missing' but an ISO file must be burnt a certain way so that the burning software "extracts" the files for you, and writes them to a CD.

Simpely put, an ISO file is nothing more than an exact copy of an entire CD into one single file.

I suggest you read the instructions I gave you ... follow the links if you do not use Nero 6 ... and read again.

If you do not have Nero, try this one ...

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm

Reaction score
Thanks Muckshifter - the 'burn image' is under the recorder tab on my version of Nero, and everything went well after the first coaster was discarded. Thanks again.

Ask a Question