installing mandrake linux

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Hi i am a newb to linux and i am trying to install mandrake 10.1. When i try to boot form the cd it says that there is a boot error? I have made several different disks and the same thing happens every time. Is this because of a corrupt file of the disk? Or am i just doing something wrong?? :confused:

Thanks in advance

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Did you download Mandrake 10.1?

If so, did you download the three iso's to burn 3 x CD's or the 2.02Gb iso to burn the DVD?

And most importantly of all, did you check the integrity of the download(s) using the md5sum checker?

It does sound as if you have a corrupted download.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
you were right

i just checked to see if there was an error and as you said there was. So is theere any way of preventing this sorta thing happeneing again as it is a 700mb file??

thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
i just checked to see if there was an error and as you said there was. So is theere any way of preventing this sorta thing happeneing again as it is a 700mb file??

thanks

Unfortunately, no :(

You'll just have to download it again and hope all is good.

I just d/l 10.1 myself, DVD version, 2.02Gb, took me 10 hours, used md5sumcheck, all is good :)

Will be installing within next coupla days.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ok i just downloaded it again and i extracted it and burnedit to a disk. same error i checked to see if the iso was corrupt, this time it wasnt. I burned it to a disk using nero, is ther any way that might be screwing it up?? Also i downloaded it from linuxiso.org could that maybe be the problem?? Also i think i am doing it rght by just extracting the files from the iso and burnoing them do i need to change folder directories?

EDIT:blush:k i finally found out what i did wrong, after scanning around a few forums i found out rhe solution. I was using nero oem burner which does not support burning iso images which u need to do. Also i was exstracting the iso and then burning it that is an also no-no as it will not work. SO what you need to do is download the .iso file and then check to see if it has any erros then burn it to a disk using a cd burned that supports burning iso images.

Last edited:

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ok i just installed and it is running fine but i have a problem. Drivers i have a wireless internet adapted usb made by Belkin wifi-g anyways i cant find a driver anywhere on the net does anyone know where i might find a driver db that might have it?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just by way of mentioning, Nero OEM does burn ISO files, just select 'Burn Image' browse to the ISO file and away you go ;)

I also use a program named Ultra ISO, which does a lot more, like being to create an ISO image for instance.

Reaction score
Some driver problems with linux is companies sometimes wont release driver code due to a Genral Public Licence. If they dont make money it wont be on a free linux version. What a pain thats why some linux versions cost. Keep looking because it might be hidden on the net.

Ask a Question