Installing 180GB HDD

Jack

I cannot install a new WD 180GB HDD and have WinXP Pro SP1 recognize its
full capacity.

As noted above I have SP1 installed, I also installed version 5.1.2600.1135
of ATAPI.SYS.

I have updated my motherboard BIOS (Soyo K7V+) and the HDD is recognized as
180GB in the BIOS settings.

I also edited the registry as recommended in another post as shown below:

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
Value Name: EnableBigLba
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

After all of the above when I try to format the drive in WinXP the format
window only has a 127GB capacity option.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

"Ted" <"""""""""""> wrote in message

Jack said:
I cannot install a new WD 180GB HDD and have WinXP Pro SP1 recognize its
full capacity.

As noted above I have SP1 installed, I also installed version 5.1.2600.1135
of ATAPI.SYS.

I have updated my motherboard BIOS (Soyo K7V+) and the HDD is recognized as
180GB in the BIOS settings.

I also edited the registry as recommended in another post as shown below:

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
Value Name: EnableBigLba
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

After all of the above when I try to format the drive in WinXP the format
window only has a 127GB capacity option.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Read here;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:
80/support/kb/articles/q303/0/13.asp&NoWebContent=1

(URL may wrap)

Thanks for the reply.

That's exactly the stuff I did, and still only had the option to format at
127GB in WinXP.

I was able to solve my problem by formatting using PartitionMagic and now
have the full 170 some GB of useable space.

Ted

Jack said:
I cannot install a new WD 180GB HDD and have WinXP Pro SP1 recognize its
full capacity.

As noted above I have SP1 installed, I also installed version 5.1.2600.1135
of ATAPI.SYS.

I have updated my motherboard BIOS (Soyo K7V+) and the HDD is recognized as
180GB in the BIOS settings.

I also edited the registry as recommended in another post as shown below:

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
Value Name: EnableBigLba
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

After all of the above when I try to format the drive in WinXP the format
window only has a 127GB capacity option.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Read here;
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q303/0/13.asp&NoWebContent=1

(URL may wrap)

Jack

Do you have any suggestions as to why 48 bit LBA support was not installed
when I updated to SP1.

LVTravel

Have you removed the old partition created when you first attempted to
format the drive?

Recommend that you delete the current partition and repartition using full
size and reformat and see if that solves your problem.

Sounds like you did everything else OK as the MB recognizes the full drive
size, LBA is on etc.

Ted

Jack said:
"Ted" <"""""""""""> wrote in message

Jack said:
[...]

Then did you again reset and *save* changes made the BIOS to properly see the amounted drive space after the registry change?
I was able to solve my problem by formatting using PartitionMagic and now
have the full 170 some GB of useable space.

You shouldn't have had to do any such thing as the XP CD should have done that properly with the amendments you should have made regarding LBA disk support and SP1.

Ted

Jack said:
Do you have any suggestions as to why 48 bit LBA support was not installed
when I updated to SP1.

It is supported, or you wouldn't have the ability now to use such a large drive, would you? MS either dropped the ball when they wrote SP1, so that it should make the registry change. But then again, a BIOS is not the problem of MS, if settings there are needed for change.

Ken Blake

I cannot install a new WD 180GB HDD and have WinXP Pro SP1 recognize its
full capacity.

You probably have a BIOS that limits the size drive it supports.
Check your vendor or motherboard's web site to see if there's a
BIOS upgrade available.

Ted

Ken Blake said:
You probably have a BIOS that limits the size drive it supports.
Check your vendor or motherboard's web site to see if there's a
BIOS upgrade available.

You ****wit! Did you not read that he had updated his BIOS for the specific drive? Oh, I forgot, you plonk so much, that you'll restart the questioning all over again, for answers that were already given!

PaulC

Ted, tisk tisk. You know that it's rude to imitate people. (Amethyst)
" Ted" <"""""'""""""> wrote in message

Ken Blake said:
You probably have a BIOS that limits the size drive it supports.
Check your vendor or motherboard's web site to see if there's a
BIOS upgrade available.

You ****wit! Did you not read that he had updated his BIOS for the specific
drive? Oh, I forgot, you plonk so much, that you'll restart the questioning
all over again, for answers that were already given!

Pete Baker

Well the theory part is OK... but the math is way out.

Following your calculation the OP will get an answer of 1.073741824.

That's about right when Windows reports the HDD size based totally in
binary (which it has to do). The >manufacturer sold you a drive with 180
billion bytes of data storage, but they are arranged in a binary
configuration so that data can be placed properly on the drive. Keep in
mind a gigabyte can be >1,000,000,000 actual bytes (as a manufacturer will
state in decimal) or a gigabyte in binary terms which is >1,073,741,824
bytes. If you divide the latter number by 180,000,000,000, you'll come up
roughly with 167.5

Ted

Jack said:
I cannot install a new WD 180GB HDD and have WinXP Pro SP1 recognize its
full capacity.

As noted above I have SP1 installed, I also installed version 5.1.2600.1135
of ATAPI.SYS.

I have updated my motherboard BIOS (Soyo K7V+) and the HDD is recognized as
180GB in the BIOS settings.

I also edited the registry as recommended in another post as shown below:

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
Value Name: EnableBigLba
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

After all of the above when I try to format the drive in WinXP the format
window only has a 127GB capacity option.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I fired up PartitionMagic and that allowed me to format to its full capacity
(167GB). Now when I look at the format utility in WinXP it offers the
capacity as 167GB instead of 127GB as it was before formatting in
PartitionMagic.

Beats me....

That's about right when Windows reports the HDD size based totally in binary (which it has to do). The manufacturer sold you a drive with 180 billion bytes of data storage, but they are arranged in a binary configuration so that data can be placed properly on the drive. Keep in mind a gigabyte can be 1,000,000,000 actual bytes (as a manufacturer will state in decimal) or a gigabyte in binary terms which is 1,073,741,824 bytes. If you divide the latter number by 180,000,000,000, you'll come up roughly with 167.5

Jack

I wan't questioning the 167GB number. I was questioning the 127GB number.
I understand the difference between the manufacturer's 180GB spec and the PC
reporting 167GB.

Thanks for "jumping in ".

Ted

Pete Baker said:
Well the theory part is OK... but the math is way out.

Following your calculation the OP will get an answer of 1.073741824.

True, I should have reversed the equation.