installed windows xp on acer 3680..had vista home basic device man

pumpkinman

i installed a bought copy of windows xp.onto my acer 3680 laptop..everything
went fine..no problems installing it..everything seems to work well..exsept
internet..under {device manager}-{other devices}..the following have yellow
question marks next to them.....Ethernet Controller--Mass Storage
Controller--Netwok Controller--PCI Device-- Video Controller--Video
Controller VGA Mode..now obivously thats why i cant get internet to
work..what are the yellow question marks for..what are these devices..and why
are they not woking on the acer..how do i get them to work..do i need drivers
for them..from acer or windows it has me confused ive been tring to get some
help for weeks.. when i push the wireless button on the acer nothing happens
...so i need to figure this out so i can connect to the internet any help is
well appreciated.

peter

Yes you need to go to Acer website and look for XP drivers for your
particular model.
Be warned that if this model originally came with Vista you just might be
SOL in regards to finding XP drivers.
peter

Shenan Stanley

pumpkinman said:
i installed a bought copy of windows xp.onto my acer 3680
laptop..everything went fine..no problems installing it..everything
seems to work well..exsept internet..under {device manager}-{other
devices}..the following have yellow question marks next to
them.....Ethernet Controller--Mass Storage Controller--Netwok
Controller--PCI Device-- Video Controller--Video Controller VGA
Mode..now obivously thats why i cant get internet to work..what are
the yellow question marks for..what are these devices..and why are
they not woking on the acer..how do i get them to work..do i need
drivers for them..from acer or windows it has me confused ive been
tring to get some help for weeks.. when i push the wireless button
on the acer nothing happens ..so i need to figure this out so i can
connect to the internet any help is well appreciated.

All operating systems (Windows, *nix, etc) require te proper drivers to
interface the software with the hardware. You need to get those from the
equipment manufacturer for each individual component. If your computer came
with Windows Vista - it is entirely plausible the hardware manufacturer of
said system made a conscience decision not to support anything prior.

You may be able to get around this by going to the individual parts/chipsets
manufacturers. You may not. This is research better done before spending
money on a system you plan to run another OS on than what comes with it.

DL

And if Acer, for your specific model Laptop, has no winxp drivers, you now
have a Laptop that functions as a paper weight.

Xandros

http://www.driverstock.com/Acer-Aspire-3680-driver-download/4-21-12861/index.htmlAll the XP drivers for the laptop are at that link.The site is setup to make it hard for other webpages to link to theirdrivers. It uses a common practice where you have to enter a combination ofLetters or code into a box before you can download. You will then go to apage to download from. You have to wait 60 secs for the code to begenerated. Once generated the code and download button will appear underwhere it says Update Your Drivers.The site has advertising for Driver Detective and a variety of links thatclaim to help you find your drivers. While Driver Detective is a "free"download it is useless unless you pay for it so don't bother with it. Justgo for the drivers after the code is generated.If for some reason the network driver above doesn't work then here is asuggestion from Bill Castner. Hopefully this helps. He is suggesting thatthere might be a hidden device driver that will prevent the successfulinstall of the XP driver so try it. I wouldn't bother with this unless youcan't get the above driver to install though.WHQL Driver released 6/4/2007:http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NE...-AR5xxx-Series-Driver-53035-whql.shtmlInstall the driver to a new Folder.1. Right-click My Computer.2. Click Properties.3. Click the Advanced tab.4. Click the Environment Variables tab.5. Set a new variables in the System Variables box (the lower panel):Variable: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devicesValue: 1click Ok buttons to get out of there6. Start, Run, devmgmt.msc7. Click the View tab, Show Hidden Devices8. Remove any "phantom" or grey-ed out device entries that exist for yourAtheros adapter.9. Remove any "phantom" or grey-ed out driver entries that exist for thedevice under the Plug and Play drivers section.10. Uninstall the Atheros adapter by right clicking its entry under NetworkAdapters.Reboot.When the New Hardware Wizard runs at reboot, point to the installed driverset you downloaded above.Good luck.--Xandros"pumpkinman" <[email protected]> wrote in messageinstalled a bought copy of windows xp.onto my acer 3680laptop..everything> went fine..no problems installing it..everything seems to workwell..exsept> internet..under {device manager}-{other devices}..the following haveyellow> question marks next to them.....Ethernet Controller--Mass Storage> Controller--Netwok Controller--PCI Device-- Video Controller--Video> Controller VGA Mode..now obivously thats why i cant get internet to> work..what are the yellow question marks for..what are these devices..andwhy> are they not woking on the acer..how do i get them to work..do i needdrivers> for them..from acer or windows it has me confused ive been tring to getsome> help for weeks.. when i push the wireless button on the acer nothinghappens> ..so i need to figure this out so i can connect to the internet any helpis> well appreciated.

Xandros

My previous post seems to have gone through badly. I had helped a friend
with the same problem you are having and simply pasted my e-mail to him. For
some reason it appears have have wrapped poorly. This should be better.

take this link
http://www.driverstock.com/Acer-Aspire-3680-driver-download/4-21-12861/index.html
All the XP drivers for the laptop are at that link. You might find it is
helpful to download them all and install them. Windows XP will use whatever
drivers it had available at the time the disk was created but the newest XP
drivers should be at this site and should work better.

The site is setup to make it hard for other webpages to link to their
drivers. It uses a common practice where you have to enter a combination of
Letters or code into a box before you can download. You will then go to a
page to download from. You have to wait 60 secs for the code to be
generated. Once generated the code and download button will appear under
where it says Update Your Drivers.

The site has advertising for Drive Detective and a variety of links that
claim to help you find your drivers. While Drive Detective is a "free"
download it is useless unless you pay for it so don't bother with it. Just
go for the drivers after the code is generated.

If for some reason the network driver above doesn't work then here is a
suggestion from one of my online friends Bill Castner. Hopefully this helps.
He is suggesting that there might be a hidden device driver that will
prevent the successful install of the XP driver so try it. I wouldn't bother
with this unless you can't get the above driver to install though.

WHQL Driver released 6/4/2007:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NE...Atheros-AR5xxx-Series-Driver-53035-whql.shtml

Install the driver set to a new Folder.

[...]

Don Phillipson

I do have the exact issue to my computer. Please share any information on how to resolve the
issue. I am getting frustrated. Thank you!!

GL is the source of his own frustration, so far as he requests
information about "the exact issue" without specifying what it is.

Big_Al

Glenn Llanes said this on 1/17/2009 10:58 AM:
I do have the exact issue to my computer. Please share any information on how to resolve the issue. I am getting frustrated. Thank you!!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng

What problem.
You are on a newsgroup, not a web page, and unless you attach the
original posting to your reply, and/or reply to the posting then nobody
knows what you are talking about.

Malke

Glenn said:
I do have the exact issue to my computer. Please share any information on
how to resolve the issue. I am getting frustrated. Thank you!!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng

Another orphaned post from EggHeadCafe. No one can help you and this is why:

You are not posting on a real forum as you think you are and you didn't
quote any of the thread to which you are replying. You are using a web
interface that leeches Usenet posts and most of the rest of us are using
real newsreaders. We don't see what you do. If you want to participate in
Usenet, the better way is to set up a newsreader. This is very easy to do
and I'll give you information about that below. If you prefer to use a
forum, then here are two excellent ones:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php
http://http://computerhaven.info/

Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it.
Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessing_newsgrousp_with-windows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting