Installation

Joseph

Subject: Installation Problem
From: "Joseph" <[email protected]>
Sent: 3/26/2004 10:47:28 PM

During the installation process i am getting fatal error
about product catalog.. and the installation stops. I
tried to rename the catroot2 in the c:\windows\system32
directory but when I restart the installtion still the
same fatal error is coming. Any solution for this
..

Joseph

I have used a original windowsXp Pro installtion CD to
instal in a new hard drive. I tried to boot with the CD
but it never booted. So I used windows 98 boot disk with
support of CD drive and tried to install Xp. It gave the
message that setup cannot run in dos mode. So i run WINNT
from the I386 directory. The installtion started with
copying windlows took up with out any hitch. Then the
computer restarted and when it is "Installing Windows" it
stops with a message "Fatal Error" that the setup cannot
continue since the product catalog failed to install. Then
the set up restart and the same problem continues. I
checked with the microsoft KB articles and as per them
renamed the windows\system32\catroot2 directory to catold
and tried the setup, still the same problem. Again the in
the folder Catroot2 directory crops up. Please let me know
the solution for this.
With regards
Joseph