Incorrect Product Key/ID

Linx

Upon installation of XP Professional I mis-entered the
PID, now I can't get updates. I know the correct ID but
can't figure out how to modify. Can you edit oe reenter
a correct key?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

HOW TO: Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Change the Volume Licensing Product Key on a Windows XP SP1-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874

If you are getting the following error message when attempting to update:

Error Message: The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326904&Product=winxp

You'll have to purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional
and perform a "Repair Install" using the new Windows XP Pro CD and Product Key
that comes with it. (You cannot simply change the Product Key)

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Linx" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Upon installation of XP Professional I mis-entered the
| PID, now I can't get updates. I know the correct ID but
| can't figure out how to modify. Can you edit oe reenter
| a correct key?

Donald McDaniel

Linx said:
Upon installation of XP Professional I mis-entered the
PID, now I can't get updates. I know the correct ID but
can't figure out how to modify. Can you edit oe reenter
a correct key?

If you had "misentered" the Product Key, you never would have been able to
finish the installation, so would not be able to boot into XP. If you
finished the installation, you did NOT "misenter" the Product Key.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

If you had mistyped the Product Key during installation, you never
would have been able to finish it.

Are you trying to install Service Pack 1a and getting the
following:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
using the new CD and Product Key.

Remember, you should also report whomever sold you the pirated
software to the pertinent law enforcement agencies; you've been
defrauded.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you: