Incorrect Function. Drive is not accessible.

V

Van Doudna

NOTE: This is similar to an error generated when running
Roxio's Easy CD Creator software. I don't have this
program. I am running the latest version of Ahead Nero
for CD writing.

I have gotten the following error message on 2 occasions
now:

"Incorrect function. Drive is not accessible." when
accessing the CD-ROM Drive, DVD-ROM Drive, CD-RW Drive, or
other "removable" media (i.e. USB Zip Drive, USB
Compactflash reader, USB thumb drive, and Firewire
external hard drive).

I first got this error after installing Symantec's
Internet Security package. The error disappeared when I
uninstalled the Symantec software. I never put the
program back on my PC.

The error is back again after installing 3 Windows XP
critical updates. Anyone have an idea as to the cause of
this problem or how to permanently fix it?

Thanks,

Van Doudna
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

G

Hello

I've sent this message in an email to the email address of the original poste

I had the exact same error. I tried installing Norton( Symantec) internet security. The whole thing completely stuffed up my computer (JavaScript, Windows search companion, Taskmanager, and about 30 other problems all arose). The program wouldn't even let me uninstall it. Eventually I managed to get most of it off my system however that did not fix the other errors. So what I did was put my windows CD in because I was planning to format my computer and start over. Instead I saw that they had a repair funtion on there so that it could search for problems and re-install affected parts of Windows

Basically this worked. It solved my problems. I then did windows update as the installation told me to do. Following this I left the computer alone.

The next week my sister came over with her digital camera. Normally I just plug it in, up pops F:\ and off I go. But instead it said it was not accessible. Following this I put in the CD for the camera driver thinking it was a problem with the camera, but that came up with the same message, so I tried the DVD drive, and it had the same message and so did my floppy disk drive

So from what I can tell we have the same problem. As you said in your post it is not a problem with EasyCD(Roxio) because I have never used that software I use Ahead Nero.

I am now tempted to simply format my computer and start again. The only things stopping me is the fact that I now have no way of backing up my computer because all of my storage devices are stuffed, and I'm scared that after formatting it won't be able to read my windows CD and then I'll be left with a formatted computer that is not capable of having windows reintalled

Anyway, sorry for the long winded explanation. Please let me know if you manage to find a solution or even if you don't we may be able to work together to find a solution

Thanks

Michae

----- Prasad wrote: ----

Van

Please vie

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=31535

Best of luck

Prasa

Ask a Question