INclude page not showing up

fred rosenberg

hi,

am using FP 2003, and wanted to have a single 'sub header' page that i could
use to 'include' as a web component in every main page of my site. this
works great, on the client, but when i publish, it doesn't show up on the
web. any clues?

thanks,

fred

--
Fred Rosenberg
Osage Computing Services, Inc.

Steve Easton

Is the "include page" in a location "inside" your local web site on your machine??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

fred rosenberg

thanks for your reply steve,

yes, it's in a folder called 'includes', inside the web. which, by the way,
is a subweb.

fred

--
Fred Rosenberg
Osage Computing Services, Inc.
http://www.osagecomputing.com
Creators of "Osage Inside Access"
-- A MultiFunction Developer's Dashboard Featuring Clickable Dependent
Objects

Steve Easton

If I read this right, subweb is the key word. Includes won't work across subwebs. Move a copy of
the include page into a location in the web.

each web / subweb needs it's own includes.

root
includes\include.htm

subweb
includes\include.htm.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

fred rosenberg

steve,

let's be sure we're on the same 'page' here. the include folder is indeed
in the subweb. the reference(s) to the include page are also all inside the
subweb. i tried creating an include folder in the parent web and published
that, but that didn't seem to do anything.(in fact FP says its include
feature only works on files inside the current web site.)

any more ideas? i'm sure i'm doing something simple...and wrong.

thanks,

fred

--
Fred Rosenberg
Osage Computing Services, Inc.
http://www.osagecomputing.com
Creators of "Osage Inside Access"
-- A MultiFunction Developer's Dashboard Featuring Clickable Dependent
Objects

Steve Easton

Can you post a link so I / We can take a look.??

I'm thinking "maybe" you had a page open when you inserted the include and not a web and then a
page.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Tom Pepper Willett

You've got it in the root web, not the subweb. Like was pointed out, it
won't work unless it's in the subweb.

http://www.osagecomputing.com/includes/CourseHeader.htm
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
"fred rosenberg" <info at osagecomputing dot com> wrote in message
| sure and thanks.
| http://www.osagecomputing.com/EnergyCourse/GradingPolicy.htm
|
| --> if you look at the source, you will notice
| "includes/CourseHeader.htm"
| is there, but the course header does not show up.
|
| fred
|

| | > Can you post a link so I / We can take a look.??
| >
| > I'm thinking "maybe" you had a page open when you inserted the include
and
| not a web and then a
| > page.
| >

| > --
| > Steve Easton
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > 95isalive
| > This site is best viewed............
| > .......................with a computer

| > > let's be sure we're on the same 'page' here. the include folder is
| indeed
| > > in the subweb. the reference(s) to the include page are also all
inside
| the
| > > subweb. i tried creating an include folder in the parent web and
| published
| > > that, but that didn't seem to do anything.(in fact FP says its include
| > > feature only works on files inside the current web site.)
| > >
| > > any more ideas? i'm sure i'm doing something simple...and wrong.
| > >
| > > thanks,
| > >
| > > fred
| > >
| > > --
| > > Fred Rosenberg
| > > Osage Computing Services, Inc.
| > > http://www.osagecomputing.com
| > > Creators of "Osage Inside Access"
| > > -- A MultiFunction Developer's Dashboard Featuring Clickable Dependent
| > > Objects
| across
| > > subwebs. Move a copy of

| the
| > > way,

| Dependent
| on
| > > your

| that
| site.
| > > this
| up
| > > on

| Dependent

Steve Easton

Ok,

The file includes/CourseHeader.htm is on the server, but it has no opening or closing html, head or
body tags. The include web-bot "includes the html that is located between <body> and </body> in the
html page. Since the web-bot can't find the body tags it isn't including the content.

So add this before the opening table tag:
<head>
</head>

and add this after the closing table tag:

Then republish.

Also I would recommend renaming the ecovillage%20greenhouse%20sunset1.jpg image and replacing the
spaces with dashes -or underscores _ because spaces are what show as %20 and spaces will "break
links"

hth

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

fred rosenberg

Thanks -- this did the trick! excellent.

You might have noticed that i have used caps in some of my page names. I
have noticed that web servers seem to be case sensitive. Do you reccomend
all lower case?

fred

--
Fred Rosenberg
Osage Computing Services, Inc.
http://www.osagecomputing.com
Creators of "Osage Inside Access"
-- A MultiFunction Developer's Dashboard Featuring Clickable Dependent
Objects

Steve Easton

Great glad it's fixed.

I always use all lower case, it's just an old habit.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Thomas A. Rowe

Case only matters if hosted on Unix/Linux servers and when using JavaScript.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.