important video files won't open on my computer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and are in serious need of some expert advice or help.
On my computer (still running win xp) i have lots of video files from various sources e.g. hdd video camera, new mobiles and old etc. Most have been backed up at one point or another and I recently went through everything to try to organize everything with the intention of moving to the next step and burning onto dvd or blu-ray. I have gathered a folder of about 28 files that will not open for love nor money. Some are gold dust (daughters first steps etc) and i have tried opening, converting with any time I can put into it. I do know that the files in question worked before because I remember watching them on my pc and am sure that a small handful of those files were taken on an old Motorola razr v3. A file with my daughter as a new born with the hiccups has a .3gp file extension, others have a more recognised .mov. Some now appear to play music like an .mp3 which is really confusing me. All the .mov files aren't named so I am not sure exactly what they are but no doubt will also be very important. There are a few though that i had named and are now telling me what i have lost which is something i'll never replace. As you can tell I would really appreciate any assistance with this at all. any comments are most welcome and i will gladly give anything a shot.

Living in hope

Dirtspad

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Files with the .3gp file extension are mobile phone container format and will play through media player with the right codecs installed on your pc..

.mov files are quicktime files and again can be played through Apple quicktime or windows media player with the correct codecs installed on your machine!

Have you tried right clicking on one of the files and selecting the "open with" dropdown and try opening that way with maybe windows media player or Apple quicktime if you have it installed!

Report back and let us know how you got on..:nod:

Reaction score
Thanks both for your replies........

EvanDavis: i had tried various codec packs including this one at some point before but to start a fresh have just downloaded that codec pack and tried to open some of the files with different file extensions in win media player, vlc media player, quicktime etc.
I have tried various others also but have lost track. No joy though. Files either not playing or I get error messages that file isn't supported. I have also tried at one point g-spot which should tell me where the file belongs but it either didn't work or I know too little to know what I am doing.

Crazylegs: quicktime won't open any of the files and just brings up errors saying that it is not a file that quicktime understands. With regards to the .3gp I thought if i could download the old software from motorola for th razr v3 then it might play some of the files then i could film them off the tv on a new device so at least i have them but i looked last night and couldn't find the software anywhere.

I am willing to do anything step by step anyone asks me to and to go back to the start and begin from fresh just to rule anything out.

Thanks again for your replies. If i don't reply quickly i'll be at work but i'll try to check in off my mobile at work if i get a chance.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I take it before you installed k-lite you have uninstalled all the other codec packs ? If not they can cause problems

Reaction score
I haven't uninstalled anything. Would everything I have be in add remove or would they be also in obsure locations?
Would i have to uninstall any of the players first like quicktime etc?
I have one piece of software on my pc called hd writer which is the software for my hd camera would that cause a problem too?
I will delete anything I'll find. Could you let me know what i should be looking for, doing and i'll get that done, start from scratch and reinstall codecs and test.

Thanks Evan

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Reaction score
ok I Download ccleaner, uninstalled everything I could find then ran cc cleaner and deleted everything it could find. I haven't installed codec pack yet and was about to quickly test the files just in case. the .mov are still associated with quicktime but the .3gp files are now no longer assocaited with any software. Should i attemp to play those files in media player etc before installing the klite pack?

Reaction score
Ok back from work......I have now cleaned everything up and downloaded klite and reinstalled.....no joy i am afraid. both wmp and quicktime still having same issues.
Nothing seems to play the files or accept them.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Have you tried playing the vids on a different system ? As you said they worked before, so I can only assume something is corrupt.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.....working again.....
As daft as it sounds i haven't tried that....i'll give it a go and report back.

Ask a Question