IMAP in Outlook

Rens Kempen

Hi all!

I have just changed from Windows Mail (OE) to Outlook 2003. It works fine
for me, because I want to use the calender and contacts so that I can
synchronize them with my mobile phone.

The only problem is... E-mail. I am using an IMAP-server, which worked fine
in Windows Mail and OE. I could set a 'base folder' (INBOX) so that my sent
items folder really was the sent items folder, the bin really the bin etc.
In Outlook I see no such option. Also, SPAM control doesn't work for IMAP
folders in Outlook, while it _did_ in Windows Mail (do I need an Office
upgrade? Hope not, the last version is hiddeous!)

Also, why the ... is there no usenet reader in Outlook? I like to have news
and e-mail in one place. Maybe there is somekind of plugin for this?

Thanks!

Rens

Follow-up to: microsoft.public.outlook

Gordon

The only problem is... E-mail. I am using an IMAP-server, which worked
fine in Windows Mail and OE. I could set a 'base folder' (INBOX) so that
my sent items folder really was the sent items folder, the bin really the
bin etc. In Outlook I see no such option.

I don't quite follow you. The idea of IMAP is that it MIRRORS the folders on
your mail server, so that the Inbox in your IMAP acount on Outlook is the
Inbox on your IMAP mail server, and the same with all the folders.
Also, SPAM control doesn't work for IMAP folders in Outlook, while it _did_
in Windows Mail (do I need an Office upgrade? Hope not, the last version is
hiddeous!)

What sort of Spam control?
Also, why the ... is there no usenet reader in Outlook?

Because it's main market is the Corporate sector, (the VAST majority of
Outlook installations are in organisations), in which there is no call for
Newsgroup access.
I like to have news and e-mail in one place. Maybe there is somekind of
plugin for this?

there are, but in my experience they are very much inferior to a dedicated
news reader...

Brian Tillman

Rens Kempen said:
The only problem is... E-mail. I am using an IMAP-server, which
worked fine in Windows Mail and OE. I could set a 'base folder'
(INBOX) so that my sent items folder really was the sent items
folder, the bin really the bin etc. In Outlook I see no such option.

If the IMAP server is a standards-compliant server, that shouldn't be
needed. However, click Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next, select the IMAP account,
click Change, then More Settings, then the Advanced tab. The "Root folder
path" is what you want to modify.

Note that the "Sent Items" folder (if you have one) on the IMAP server will
NOT receive copies of outgoing messages unless you create a rule to move
them there.
Also, SPAM control doesn't work for IMAP folders in Outlook, while it
_did_ in Windows Mail (do I need an Office upgrade? Hope not, the
last version is hiddeous!)

The Junk E-mail filter works fine for IMAP accounts, as long as you
configure the send/receive group to download the complete message instead of
only the header. While viewing the Inbox, press Alt-Ctrl-S, select your
Send/Receive group (probably "All Accounts"), click Edit, select the IMAP
account, select the Inbox, and click the radio button labeled "Download
complete item including attachments"
Also, why the ... is there no usenet reader in Outlook? I like to
have news and e-mail in one place. Maybe there is somekind of plugin
for this?

Outlook has never need an NNTP client. It has always used Outlook Express
for that, by default. When you click Go>News, that starts Outlook Express
with the /outnews command switch. YOu can, of course, buy NNTP transports
that will integrate with Outlook.

Gordon

Note that the "Sent Items" folder (if you have one) on the IMAP server
will NOT receive copies of outgoing messages unless you create a rule to
move them there.

You do it in the Folders tab of the More Account Settings (Outlook 2007)-
not sure whether that creates a "rule" or not - one certainly doesn't show
under the ordinary Rules and Alerts dialog...

Gordon

Gordon said:
You do it in the Folders tab of the More Account Settings (Outlook
2007)- not sure whether that creates a "rule" or not - one certainly
doesn't show under the ordinary Rules and Alerts dialog...

Right, but you specifically said "Outlook 2003".

Brian Tillman

Gordon said:
You do it in the Folders tab of the More Account Settings (Outlook
2007)- not sure whether that creates a "rule" or not - one certainly
doesn't show under the ordinary Rules and Alerts dialog...

Oops. I meant the OP said "Outlook 2003".

Rens Kempen

If the IMAP server is a standards-compliant server, that shouldn't be
needed. However, click Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next, select the IMAP
account, click Change, then More Settings, then the Advanced tab. The
"Root folder path" is what you want to modify.
Thanks!!

Note that the "Sent Items" folder (if you have one) on the IMAP server
will NOT receive copies of outgoing messages unless you create a rule to
move them there.

Darn. :(
The Junk E-mail filter works fine for IMAP accounts, as long as you
configure the send/receive group to download the complete message instead
of only the header. While viewing the Inbox, press Alt-Ctrl-S, select
your Send/Receive group (probably "All Accounts"), click Edit, select the
IMAP account, select the Inbox, and click the radio button labeled
"Download complete item including attachments"

Ill try that, thank you.
Outlook has never need an NNTP client. It has always used Outlook Express
for that, by default. When you click Go>News, that starts Outlook Express
with the /outnews command switch. YOu can, of course, buy NNTP transports
that will integrate with Outlook.

Will try different newsreader.

Thanks.

Snapper

Gordon wrote...
I don't quite follow you. The idea of IMAP is that it MIRRORS the folders on
your mail server, so that the Inbox in your IMAP acount on Outlook is the
Inbox on your IMAP mail server, and the same with all the folders.

I tried this with Gmail's IMAP setup. For whatever reason I couldn't get
it to duplicate the folders or mailboxes or whatever you call them in
Gmail or in Outlook.

Also, any email sent via Gmail IMAP was seen as coming from my @gmail.com
address instead of my real one.

Then it was downloading all of the BULK emails from the BULK email folder,
something that it doesn't do when used in plain POP3 mode. In that mode on
mails from the Inbox are downloaded.

I was hoping to get this to work. That way we could all access our emails
from any of the PCs in the network here at home. Right now, one or two
computers are set up normally. The others we log into the webmail to check
them, or in my case I have Outlook set up on a laptop and it's set to
leave messages on server.

Finally, using Gmail IMAP on my Windows mobile smartphone, I can only
download message headers, not the bodies.

Brian Tillman

Snapper said:
I tried this with Gmail's IMAP setup. For whatever reason I couldn't
get it to duplicate the folders or mailboxes or whatever you call
them in Gmail or in Outlook.

Look at the other messages in this thread.