Image resolution for DVD slideshow

Reaction score
I have just bought a Blu-Ray playerand would like to know the resolution at which I should scan images for inclusion in a DVD slideshow (Nero). Over the last few weeks I have scanned images at 1080 pixels height, however when I played a test DVD using a limited number of images scanned at this resolution I was disappointed in the results.

Is anyone able to advise me on this?

Reaction score
First off a bit more info is required as to the spec of your equipment? PC Etc:
I am afraid it is a matter of trial and error with these sort of things?
However try a hirer resolution and then view in a slide show that way it will give you some indication as to which way to go, others on this forum know a lot more than I when it comes to graphics, so hang on as it is a bit early for some.

Ho Hiya:wave:

Reaction score
I have a Lenovo 3000 desktop using Vista Business. I scan my images at 600dpi (irrelevant, I know) on a Canoscan 8800F using Nero then change the resolution using Photoshop Elements 5.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What resolution TV are you playing the photos on? If it's a 1080p TV, then you'll want a size of 1920×1080 :)

Reaction score
Yes, it's a 1920 x 1080. I'll keep experimenting. I make the resolution 1080 high and Photoshop determines the appropriate width, which is usually less than 1920 (I don't want the ends or tops and bottoms chopped off).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
kafka said:
I have a Lenovo 3000 desktop using Vista Business. I scan my images at 600dpi (irrelevant, I know) on a Canoscan 8800F using Nero then change the resolution using Photoshop Elements 5.
err, in this case I don't think dpi is that irrelevant.

I know how people can get confused, Adobe especially can be confusing, when they mention DPI but actually mean PPI. ;)

Try changing the "size" of your pic with the "resample image" box un-ticked, if you are resizing down ... check the box if resizing up. Ignore the resolution pixel/inch for now.

PPI (Pixels per Inch) and DPI (Dots per Inch) are frequently used interchangeably in the industry, by pros and amateurs alike. While wrong, this isn't a huge problem since we usually know what we're talking about. To be absolutely correct it's worth noting that scanners, digital cameras and screens are all measured in PPI while printers are measured in DPI. Just so you know the difference. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks muckshifter,

I scan at 500 or 600ppi, which results in very large images. I then use Photoshop Elements to reduce the height of the images to 1080. I was under the impression that if the images were more than 1080 high the tops of the images would be chopped off on the TV (or more than 1920 wide the sides would be chopped off). Do you think that, no matter the height/width of the images they will be sized by the Blu_Ray or the TV to be the right size for the HDTV?

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm not gonna be of much help, I haven't scanned a pic in years.

as said, it is a little experimental, I would suggest scanning back to 300 and even down to 200 ... not forgetting, as I'm into my digital photos, you may be surprised to know my 10mp DSLR's takes std pics @ 72 DPI, it's not a restriction.

:thumb:

Reaction score
I would like to answer my own question.

I decided to carry out a scientific experiment.

1. I took several photos with my camera set to 16:9 aspect ratio and high resolution.
2. I downloaded a trial version of DVD PixPlay.
3. I created a test slideshow with DVD Pix Play using a number of images I had previously changed to a pixel height of 1080 (which I thought would be appropriate for my high definition LCD TV) as well as the new images which I left at their original (higher) pixel height.
4. I burned the test slideshow to a DVD.

Result:

1. I found that there was no difference in quality between the two samples.
2. The quality (resolution) of the images in the DVD Pix Play slideshow was much higher than the test slideshow I had burned to DVD using Photoshop Elements 5.

Conclusions:

1. I had wasted my time changing the pixel height of more than a hundred images to 1080.
2. DVD Pix Play produces a much more acceptable DVD slideshow than Photoshop Elements 5.

Finally, I am really engaged in two projects at the same time. The first is to create slideshows and the second to archive the same images to a high quality DVD. This means that I want the resolution to be 300 to 500dpi for the archive. Strangely I find that, whilst I scan the images at 500dpi, when I open them in Photoshop Elements 5 and select resize they are shown as being 72dpi. I have posed this anomaly on the official Nero Forum website, though I don't think very many people visit the site.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Nice to see you reported back with your finding. :thumb:

I must admit to spending only an afternoon with AE 5, it was a bit of an Accident & Emergency experience, before relegating the CD back to it's box. Fortunately, I didn't pay for the software.

I actually still use Picasa, it's free, does all I need and you can rearrange your photos as you please.

Must have a go at producing a CD/DVD one day but I don't have a TV and me relatives all visit my Picasa albums online anyway. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
I have solved my problem. no matter what I did in Nero the resolution of my slideshows was poor. I downloaded a trial version of DVD Pix Play and created a test slideshow which I burned to a DVD. To my surprise the result was as good as it could be without using a Blu-Ray disk! The resolution was quite high, especially noticeable when I compared a slideshow image created in DVD Pix Play to the same image created in Nero. As an added bonus, DVD Pix Play enabled me to specify a 16:9 aspect which solved the problem I had with Nero of having parts of the images missing from the TV screen. I now realise that I don't have to waste time resizing images to 1080 height as it is done automatically before it appears on the TV.

Ask a Question