Windows XP I'm Stuck re Reg Mechanic Result

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have just run Registry Mechanic and am a bit uncertain about three of the results that it has turned-up, so wondered whether anyone could advise me please? They are as follows:

Medium Priority: Value is invalid Set to Delete
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\vsdatant.sys = 1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
High Priority: Value is invalid Set to Delete
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\MPlayer2\Video\DVR-MS

RequiredFile = C:\WINDOWS\system32\enable.dvd
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High Priority: Value is invalid Set to Delete
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

ServicePackCachePath = c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As it mentions such things as "Required File" "drivers" and "Service Pack Files" I thought I'd better check rather than just hitting the "repair" button.:confused:

Thank you for reading this
:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Can I ask a question ... what does Registry Mechanic do?

If you don't know, maybe you shouldn't use it.

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I can see your point, and respect it Mr Mucks. :thumb: "Registry Mechanic" is the registry cleaning tool that I've been regularly using for the past couple of years. I always use it with care and check through the complete list of "errors" that it throws up - usually temp files, remnants of stuff that I've uninstalled, and so on.

Tonight, I didn't understand what the three entries above referred to exactly, so I left them alone, but as they will probably pop up again in future scans, I hoped to learn whether they are really needed or not.:confused:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Can I ask a question ... what does Registry Mechanic do?
If you don't know, maybe you shouldn't use it. :)
It's a bit like a car mechanic, it works on your car it charges you fast sums on something that cost you a lot of money to buy in the first palce. And always comes up with suggestions to get more money out of you!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ok, well ...

vsdatant.sys ... is associated with ZoneAlarm
It's something that a few people have had problems with. I don't use ZA so I do not have that 'problem' ... my advice if it aint' doing no harm, leave it.

enable.DVD ... well that's an easy one, it's an MS mediaplayer setting, not sure which version. Again, if it is not causing any problems I have no idea why it needs deleting.

ServicePackCachePath ... that depends on how you installed the OS in the first place, I will not go into that here, but again, I would just leave it alone.

Providing RM makes a registry back-up then you can do as you please.

:thumb:

For anybody else reading this thread, I would suggest you save your money and go download CCleaner, if you like CC pop 'em a donation, every little helps. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
bodhi said:
So just to sum up Mucks advice................

"if it ain't broke......" ;)

What about Advanced Registry Optimizer from www.systweak.com
Correct ... it ain't broke and probably never was.

I don't need a registry cleaner ... I can DIY, however, I'll use CCleaner 'cos it does a good job, doesn't ask me silly questions and will clean out other unneeded crap to save me the bother in remembering.

Be happy in what you use, but, also be aware that there is no better 'cleaner' out there than your own knowledge

My main registry 'program' is NTREGOPT and has been around for a considerable amount of time ... ;)

Of course, most of my time is spent in Linux and we just do not "need" any such programs.
happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you all for your interest and good advice, I am very grateful for your help and views.
nod.gif

I have left the three items alone as you have suggested, but I still welcomed Mucks' explanation regarding what they are. :thumb: (Re the Service Pack entry, one reason I was a bit surprised to find it, is that I installed SP2 shortly after it first became available. I installed it from CD. As for the original XP-Pro OS, it was pre-installed by Rock when we bought this PC 3 years ago - just for info.) Re backing up, RM creates a system restore point before deleting anything.

Recently I downloaded CCleaner (after reading about it in other postings here) but it is installed on our other PC which is new, so I've not used it yet.

It is my ambition to be able to eventually "DIY" it .... but in the meantime, I shall settle for continuing to learn as much as possible :D Thanks again. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
No problem TC ... you keep asking, I keep forgetting where people are in their 'ladder'. :thumb:

I do try to base answers, as best as my memory & knowledge permit, to the wider audience ... hopefully other readers can learn something. I ain't always right. ;)

One thing I learnt early on ... back-up the registry first before playing, but also learn how to restore it, especially if you totally screw it up. :D Been there too.
nod.gif

The important thing is to enjoy your computer, it don't have to just be a tool.
user.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
My part of the ladder is probably a rung or two from the bottom and clinging on tenaciously!! :D

The great thing about having joined this Forum, is being able to get advice and discuss things with real people who have oodles of experience - and are kind enough to share it.
nod.gif
My "knowledge sources" over the past 5 years have been computer mags, books and internet friends ... not forgetting good old Google, of course!
bowdown.gif

I meant it literally when I said that I'd like to "DIY" it, I also have a burning ambition to build a desktop PC myself, but I'm worried about getting out of my depth - my ambition is probably trying to overcome my common sense (which is saying that I need to haul myself up another few rungs yet!!
laughingsmiley.gif
) We have an old ME notebook lying around which I've occasionally thought of trying to refurbish....... but being a notebook, I guess it would be even more unrealistic... wouldn't it...? :blush:

Thanks again for the interest
happywave.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
You're welcome ... started there myself 20 years ago. :D

Building your own PC is really not that difficult, you can't go too far wrong these days as they colour-code everything ... even the manuals are written in English. ;)

Just a lack of confidence in biting the bullet & probably some spare cash ... we have a few members here that are fully fledged new builders ... most, if not all MBs, have Auto this-n-that that you can just fit the bits & turn it on ... hardware is now more compatable than it used to be also.

Common sense is an attribute ... old notebook/laptops make good door-stops ... :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That sounds very encouraging.:) When a PC mag did a step-by-step build-your-own feature, it did seem to look fairly straightforward, but I thought that I must be missing something.

Awww ... don't waste an old laptop by using it as a doorstop, not when you could toast sandwiches in it!! :D
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Yeah, taffy i wouldnt bother with the old notebook. They really are just too hard to work on. Computers are very very easy to build now as mucks says, everything is more plug and play now than it used to be.

Remember the old days of IO cards and a billion jumpers on everything!! Ah, those were the days. Especially when you dropped the jumpers down the back of the mother board. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Actually, I was checking out some "Haynes" manuals earlier - there is one which gives self-build instructions (for desktop PCs that is.) Does anyone have any opinions on these please? Or maybe have any recommendations to make? Their car maintenance manuals used to be really good...... :D

Reaction score
feckit said:
But if you want a good book, try:

Scott Mueller - Upgrading & Repairing PC's, Current edition comes with a DVD that explains how to do things in easy tutorials.

Never used a book to do this type of thing, i learned by blowing things up. But Ive seen Feckit recommend this a couple of times.

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Never used a book to do this type of thing, i learned by blowing things up. But Ive seen Feckit recommend this a couple of times.
Used the book when i was first learning, the cd-rom that comes with the book has some good "how to" tutorials. And if all goes pear shape it's a good book to have if you cant access your pc (it's probably in pieces in front of you!)

But yes, muckshifter is correct google is a great place to find free info:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice and book recommendation. :thumb: Yes I agree about Google being a mine of info, but thought I'd also get a book (or two) so that I can have a bit of a "swot" when I'm away from the PC..... (got to be generous and let hubby use it sometimes,;))

Reaction score
I have CC, Reg Mechanic pro, reg doc and a couple of others and still have to "edit" manually as all the progs don't get it all. Have to agree tho' when i'm lazy I tend to just use CC. Does a fair job of it! Aside from that as to Reg Mech, stick to "if it ain't broke....."

Ask a Question