I'm not sure if my monitor will support DVI... how old is it?

Reaction score
Hey, i'm going to a friends for a long time and i'm going to take my pc because i have a souped up gaming pc...

My Geforce 9800 GTX+ will only support DVI, and i know that his monitor is quite old (but still LCD).

How old is DVI? how can i be sure if his monitor will support DVI or not? He is with me currently so we can't find out if it DOES support DVI untill we are there..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Simple - if the monitor has a DVI socket it will support DVI. No socket = no support.

Reaction score
Thank you for the unintended patronization there :p

I'll rephrase my question a bit:

When was DVI set as standard for monitors, he knows how OLD the monitor is, but not if it can support DVI or not.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm not being patronising at all. I dunno when DVI was set as a standard, around 8 to 10 years ago at a guess I suppose but I will repeat - just take a look at the back - oblong socket with flat hole and probably coloured beige? That be DVI.

Reaction score
It just came across as patronizing, years of teaching elders how to use computers via patronization honed my knowledge of it :)

But as i stated "He is with me currently so we can't find out if it DOES support DVI untill we are there.."

The whole point in me asking this question is that i wanted to know if i would have to re-install my older graphics card that has a VGA point on the back...

which is why i asked "How old is DVI? how can i be sure if his monitor will support DVI or not?"

Whether you misconstrued the question or if i didn't phrase it properly, i'm not sure :)

But thanks for your help in any case =]

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well I'm afraid the age is almost irrelevant anyway as although it's rare now, for many years monitors were manufactured with only VGA support even though DVI was common.

If his monitor is over ten years old though it's a fair bet it won't support DVI.

That the best shot I can give it ;)

Reaction score
Bah, thanks for the help... I think it's a bit daft in that case then that my Graphics card (which appears to be the same as yours based on your Signature) can only use DVI. :(

Thanks ^^

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I just bought a brand new monitor for a friend and it only has VGA sockets so the age of the monitor is irelevant in your query.

You could get a DVI to VGA adapter for a few quid or take your old card with you.

The above suggestions may seem a bit patronising but they would solve your problem.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If the monitor only has a VGA socket, as Abarbarian has said, you can use a DVI to VGA adaptor. You can get 'em in Maplins and similar outlets.

Ask a Question