I'm being offered an update I don't want

Moonbarker Osbourne

Allow me to explain.

Two weeks ago, I bought at HP Photosmart C4480 All-In-One printer.

It's "Update" feature keeps offering me a "Context High Definition Audio
Driver (for AMD)"

Every time I try to download the update, I get "ERROR Driver installation
failed. Could not find the media device for this driver."

I contacted HP's support people about the problem and was told the "James, I
would like to inform you that the "Context High Definition Audio Driver (for
AMD)" update do not belongs to HP Update. Please contact System manufacturer
to resolve the issue"

I asked "Who is the system manufacturer I need to contact?" and was told "I
request you to contact Microsoft as the updates do not belongs to HP"

So that's why I'm posting here. Anyone know how I can stop this update from
being offered to me? If it helps, here's all the messages I've exchanged
with HP's help in reverse order (the first message I sent is at the bottom)

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to assist you.

James, I request you to contact Microsoft as the updates do not belongs to
HP. If you have any further issues with the All-in-one please reply to this
email. I will respond immediately and I walk with you till the issue is
totally addressed.

Sincerely,

George
HP Total Care

***Do Not Delete Service Ticket Number***

{ticketno:[8023723901]}

***Do Not Delete Service Ticket Number***
Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on the
information provided to us. HP does not assume any responsibility or
liability for the advice given and shall not be liable for any direct,
indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in connection with the
use of this information. Always back up your data.
For more information, including technical information updates, please visit
our Web site at http://www.hp.com/support.
HP does not require you to sendany financial data in your reply to this
email. As a prudent reminder, do not insert credit card details or other
financial information in any e-mail replies.

Original Text From: (e-mail address removed)

Malke

Moonbarker said:
Allow me to explain.

Two weeks ago, I bought at HP Photosmart C4480 All-In-One printer.

It's "Update" feature keeps offering me a "Context High Definition Audio
Driver (for AMD)"

Every time I try to download the update, I get "ERROR Driver installation
failed. Could not find the media device for this driver."

I contacted HP's support people about the problem and was told the "James,
I would like to inform you that the "Context High Definition Audio Driver
(for AMD)" update do not belongs to HP Update. Please contact System
manufacturer to resolve the issue"

I asked "Who is the system manufacturer I need to contact?" and was told
"I request you to contact Microsoft as the updates do not belongs to HP"

(snippage of long, irrelevant stuff)

HP was absolutely correct. You are getting the driver update from Windows
Update. Go to the Automatic Updates applet in Control Panel. Change the
settings to "download updates for me and let me know when they are
ready" (paraphrased). Then when the yellow Updates shield appears in the
Notification Area (lower right-hand corner of your taskbar), left-click on
it and choose "Custom" instead of "Express". Now you can see what updates
are available. If you see one for the audio driver, uncheck it. When you go
to the next step, you'll be presented with a dialog that allows you to
check a box saying in effect "don't show me this update again".

Malke

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Alternate to Malke's valid suggestion:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect "Context High Definition Audio Driver (for AMD)"
and hide it ("Don't show me this update again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)
--
Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Moonbarker said:
[...]

Go to:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Click CUSTOM after installing the engine

When you see the list of updates, expand the one you don't want, uncheck it,
click the + sign & choose don't show me this again

Otherwise, double-click the yellow shield in the system tray, click custom,
find the update, uncheck it, click ok & when prompted to not show this
update again check the bot & click OK

If you decide later on you want the device driver then you can always
restore hidden updates

Please note that there is a Windows Update newsgroup for these questions:

microsoft.public.windowsupdate

If you know the manufacturer/make & model of the motherboard then go to
their site & download the update there. If Microsoft offer you a KB number
then search for that under the Microsoft website & download the
redistributable

--
SPAMCOP User

Moonbarker Osbourne said:
[...]

Paul

Moonbarker said:
Allow me to explain.

Two weeks ago, I bought at HP Photosmart C4480 All-In-One printer.

It's "Update" feature keeps offering me a "Context High Definition Audio
Driver (for AMD)"

The first word there, could be Conexant, which is a company that makes
integrated circuits. I can see an example of something by that name
here.

Conexant High Definition Audio Driver (for AMD)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3180330&os=228&lang=en

(HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045)

That kind of driver would be used for a motherboard, with HDaudio
sound system, where the main processor was an AMD processor.
Something like an AM2/AM2+ socket motherboard perhaps.

If the sound on your system is already working, then chances
are you don't want any part of that. Espacially, if the
VEN and DEV don't match your motherboard hardware.

Paul