IE6 Won't let me See Graphics

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi JCO,

I know Zone Alarm but never used before.

I suspect there still some ZA related registry key left after you remove it
the second time. You can search "Zone Alarm" in registry key to see if
there are any.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

--------------------<srx#[email protected]> <4yIcg.5563$qn2.4539@trnddc04>
<[email protected]> <g33dg.6006$oa3.2006@trnddc08>
<[email protected]> <%FHdg.31$xO5.9@trnddc03>
<O#[email protected]> <Tw%dg.2232$As2.1187@trnddc02>
<[email protected]> <j3Oeg.2208$hv1.543@trnddc01>
<[email protected]> <VnYeg.6112$%C6.5112@trnddc08>
<[email protected]> <bgofg.44971$As2.5166@trnddc02>
<[email protected]> <V_Ffg.14747$xO5.12782@trnddc03>
<b2p#[email protected]> <GOpgg.1704$Id2.1409@trnddc03>
<T#[email protected]> <y21hg.11777$523.10199@trnddc07>

I am the creator of these sites. I know what's supposed to be there also. I
cannot seem to navigate to the exact place you were at on ca.com website.

Quote" I went into the EZ Firewall (by CA) and clicked on the (vertical)
Privacy
Tab, then clicked on
the Sites tab (horizontal top location) and added in my site to the allowed
list."

Please help me. I don't understand this. I haven't had this software on my
computer in over a year. And I can't find a trace of it still on my
hardrive. Thanks for your help in advance.

Okay, first, I do not have any Zone Labs Privacy Insertion in any of my
source codes.
Next, last night I unintalled norton.
I could then see more images, but still not all of them.
I just changed the problem images to absolute and now I can see everything.

What is the harm in always coding images to absolute? If there is none,
then I will continue to do it this way.

Thanks for your help.

Cynthia G. Anderson

Well, since I wrote that "Quote" about CA... I'll try...even though it
sounds like
you have absolute paths now and that is working fine.

As I found with my website, I was seeing my relative path images
on other computers, but not mine. When I looked at my website
I only got the textual links...when I did View Source on the website, to
see what the browser had done to the code...I saw my index.html page
but without the IMG path code lines...they had been removed...and I saw
a Zone Labs Privacy Insertion line of code with some javascript tagging
stuck in there...in the overall text, not in place of the img code.

So it got me to thinking. I use Computer Associates for my firewall and my
virus checker. HOWEVER, Internet Explorer also has the ability to turn off
popups, set privacy levels and so forth. AND Windows has a built in
Firewall
that you can use.

I was, in my struggles to fix the problem, trying all the IE6 settings...and
I even
turned off the Windows internal Firewall. This was good, since you really
shouldn't
have two firewalls on at the same time..in my case I had Windows and CA EZ
Firewall
both running.

Anyway, trying to fix by just turning off the Windows firewall didn't work.
So I turned off
all protections on IE6, and that didn't work. After some more aggravated
thought, reviewing
this site, searching Google for Zone Labs Privacy Insertion, I realized that
I probably didn't
need to undo several Windows Updates...toolate, I already had...

Anyway, it turns out that my other firewall ...in my case CA EZ
Firewall...was the culprit.
It was blocking all Ads and all Popups. So I turned that off. It also has
trusted sites, just like IE6,
so I added my website into the trusted sites list.

That combo fixed the problem for me. My firewall was blocking the images,
or trying to, sometimes
an image got through, but perhaps because it got through first on another
page and now that it was there it was no longer considered a threat. who
knows...

As to the exact combo...undo updates, turning off popups, ads and adding in
trusted zones--I had added my site to both my IE trusted zones and the CA EZ
firewall trusted sites...well, I turned popup blocking back on in IE (not in
EZ firewall) and reset IE to default security (medium). I'm letting IE do
the Ad and Popup security, rather than my CA EZ firewall. So far, no more
Zone Labs insertions on a View Source check on the live page, and so far,
all seems to be working fine.

I think the real issue is how dual firewalls and/or dual popup blocking,
security, etc from IE vs your external firewall works or interferes with
your settings. Just dealing with IE settings is not enough, if you have
a firewall in use that is other than Windows internal firewall.

Does this help? or hinder?

CG
(e-mail address removed)
**Goals are just DREAMS with DEADLINES!
**Live your life with passion and risk!
kinetically active website: http://home.myuw.net/cganders
irreverent blog: Musings and Meanings on NonSensical Events and Canada
http://ahablogolicious.blogspot.com/

JCO

The issue definitely Zone Alarm.
Now the question is ... what kind of adjustment can I make to the way ZA
runs that will not cause this issue?

More testing required

JCO

The issue definitely Zone Alarm.
Now the question is ... what kind of adjustment can I make to the way ZA
runs that will not cause this issue?

More testing required

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi JCO,

I googled for zone alarm, and find out:

<http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/za/znalmMain.jsp>

Zone Alarm's support site. Have you tried to ask ZA for assistance? Please
feel free to involve me during the process of contacting ZA, I am glad to
provide any information.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

--------------------<srx#[email protected]> <4yIcg.5563$qn2.4539@trnddc04>
<[email protected]> <g33dg.6006$oa3.2006@trnddc08>
<[email protected]> <%FHdg.31$xO5.9@trnddc03>
<O#[email protected]> <Tw%dg.2232$As2.1187@trnddc02>
<[email protected]> <j3Oeg.2208$hv1.543@trnddc01>
<[email protected]> <VnYeg.6112$%C6.5112@trnddc08>
<[email protected]> <bgofg.44971$As2.5166@trnddc02>
<[email protected]> <V_Ffg.14747$xO5.12782@trnddc03>
<b2p#[email protected]> <GOpgg.1704$Id2.1409@trnddc03>
<T#[email protected]> <y21hg.11777$523.10199@trnddc07>
<[email protected]> <KOfhg.6096$im3.1977@trnddc01>

JCO

Thanks.. will let you know.

Vincent Xu said:
[...]

TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS01.phx.gbl!newsfeed00..sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone1.gnilink.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trnddc01.POSTED!38b
TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS01.phx.gbl!newsfeed00..sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!130.59.10.21.MISMATCH!kanaga.switch.ch!switch.ch!tiscali!newsfeed2.ip.tiscali.net!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!130.81.64.211.MISMATCH!cycny01.gnilink.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi JCO,

You are always welcome.

Feel free to post back if you need assistance.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

--------------------<4yIcg.5563$qn2.4539@trnddc04> <[email protected]>
<g33dg.6006$oa3.2006@trnddc08> <[email protected]>
<%FHdg.31$xO5.9@trnddc03> <O#[email protected]>
<Tw%dg.2232$As2.1187@trnddc02> <[email protected]>
<j3Oeg.2208$hv1.543@trnddc01> <[email protected]>
<VnYeg.6112$%C6.5112@trnddc08> <[email protected]>
<bgofg.44971$As2.5166@trnddc02> <[email protected]>
<V_Ffg.14747$xO5.12782@trnddc03> <b2p#[email protected]>
<GOpgg.1704$Id2.1409@trnddc03> <T#[email protected]>
<y21hg.11777$523.10199@trnddc07> <[email protected]>
<KOfhg.6096$im3.1977@trnddc01> <[email protected]>

Robert Aldwinckle

The issue definitely Zone Alarm.

I don't see how your Zone Alarm hypothesis is going to account for the
apparent fact that your setupwbv.dll procedures aren't creating any
diagnostics.

I think you have more problems than just Zone Alarm
--unless ZA is blocking use of rundll32.exe or setupwbv.dll too?

Try using FileMon to see what rundll32 is being prevented from doing.

Robert
---

JCO

ZA has setting called "Ad Blocking"
When this is set to High (strongest setting), then the issues comes back.
This confirms that the issue is ZoneAlarm (ZA) and that it is a simple
setting adjustment. When I turn "Ad Blocking" to Medium, the graphics on
the website displays perfectly again.

Thanks for letting me pick everybody's brain on this. I guess I had all the
means to resolve easily and just never knew it.

JCO

ZA has setting called "Ad Blocking"
When this is set to High (strongest setting), then the issues comes back.
This confirms that the issue is ZoneAlarm (ZA) and that it is a simple
setting adjustment. When I turn "Ad Blocking" to Medium, the graphics on
the website displays perfectly again.

Thanks for letting me pick everybody's brain on this. I guess I had all the
means to resolve easily and just never knew it.

JCO

ZA has setting called "Ad Blocking"
When this is set to High (strongest setting), then the issues comes back.
This confirms that the issue is ZoneAlarm (ZA) and that it is a simple
setting adjustment. When I turn "Ad Blocking" to Medium, the graphics on
the website displays perfectly again.

This is what resolved my issue.
Let me know if this helps you.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

Glad to see the problem was resolved ultimately. Robert provided greate
information. Thanks.:)

Have a good day~ All.

<[email protected]> <d%Efg.45168$As2.2391@trnddc02>
<uUD#[email protected]> <9Z2gg.2576$im3.1723@trnddc01>
Subject: Re: IE6 Won't let me See Graphics
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:47:53 GMT

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi JCO,

I'm so glad to see the problem was resolved ultimately. I'm also glad to
hear you feel satisfied when using Newsgroup.

You are always welcome. Feel free to post in whenenver you encounter
problems.

Have a good day~

<TCrjg.2990$h46.822@trnddc07> <[email protected]>