ie6 freeze when click link. !!!HELP!!!

PA Bear

1. Try re-registering all of the DLLs.

2. Check in at Windows Update and install all Critical Updates offered.

wsl12345

Thank you for your help!

a) I re-register all dlls listed in the article, except Shell32.dll .
( i was not allowed to register Sell32.dll on 98SE).

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded"
message, click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each
of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the
file names below):
· Shdocvw.dll
· Msjava.dll
· Actxprxy.dll
· Oleaut32.dll
· Mshtml.dll
· Browseui.dll
· Shell32.dll ( *** I couldn't re-register this one for 98SE***)

********************************

b) I check Windows Update for critical updates. Most of them are for
security reasons.
c) I did Control Panel-> Add/Remove (ie6 SP1)-> "Repair ie6".

The problem is still the same!!.
The ie6 runs well except "when i clcik link for pop window,"

Robert Aldwinckle

WSL said:
After upgrade my browser to ie6 SP1 (window 98 SE) through "Window Upgrdes"
from MS site. The ie6 will freeze when i click link for pop-up window.

I re-register some dll list in this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q281679#XSLTH3135121123120121120120

That list is a *very* small subset of all the re-registrations
an IE Repair would do for you (ref. KB194177)

Your OS provides an IE Repair. Please use it instead.

Note to lurkers with other OS: any OS but XP or W2003Server
should be able to do an IE Repair, if not via Add/Remove Programs
then via Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

Note: the entry point name is case sensitive.

A successful IE Repair involves a reboot so close all your applications
first.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Jan Il

Hi wsl12345 :)

Do you have any 3rd party popup blockers? Google or Yahoo toolbar, Yahoo
Companion? If so, disable them.

Also, try holding down the Ctrl key when you click a link.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

[...]

WSL

Hi Jan,
The problem is nothing to do with popup blocker. It is the system can
not start a new IE6 window, when i click a link in either OE or IE.

It's frustrating! Thanks for your response!

Lee

WSL

hi robert ,

i thought "ie repair" should be able to fix the problem. i did "control
panel->add/remove->repaie ie" twice and reboot the system.
it still does not work. i cannot open new ie window from the link in OE
either.

thanks for your response.

Lee

Margaret

Hi there,

See if any of this helps.

Open Windows Explorer and click on Tools | Folder Options | File Types, then
scroll down to URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol. Click Advanced or Edit,
whatever the choice is there. You want to Edit the Open action for this file
type. The values should read as follows:

application:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(edit the path to your installation of IE as necessary)

DDE:
#1: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
#2: IExplore
#3: <blank>
#4: WWW_OpenURL

Also see the following MS Knowledge Base articles:

Internet Shortcuts in Outlook Express Do Not Start Web Browser
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/0/54.asp

Nothing Happens When You Click a Link in Outlook Express [Q176581]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q176/5/81.asp

Q260238 - OLEXP: Hyperlinks in Outlook Express May Not Be Active:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q260/2/38.ASP

OLEXP: "Send To" and E-mail Links Do Not Work w. Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306098

Jan Il

Hi Lee :)
Hi Jan,
The problem is nothing to do with popup blocker. It is the system can
not start a new IE6 window, when i click a link in either OE or IE.

It's frustrating! Thanks for your response!

Ahh...well..that's a different situation. Try the following:

Description of the Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts Setting in Internet
Explorer 5.01:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241911

Additional possibilities:

This is usually caused by third-party browser add-ons. Disable all Pop-up
blockers if installed any. Here is a detailed note from Don Varnau, MS-MVP
Internet Explorer.

<quote>
You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, MyIE2 (or another shell for IE) etc.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program.

Courtesy of Ramesh -

also..

Also, often using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will allow a new window.

Cannot open other windows:
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

and..

Go to Start>Run> and register the following dll's by using
regsvr32 command. Try the first 2, then see if it resolves the problem. If
not then register the rest of the .dll's:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 scrrun.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll

If that doesn't work, then check out the following article and do the
additional steps outlined there:

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You
Click a Link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281679

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

WSL

hi margaret,

Thanks for your response.

I check the value for URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol in window
explore. it looks fine.

Lee

WSL

1. piglet Jul 16, 12:46 am show options

I saw this from other thread. Is it true the security update from MS
caused the ie6 freeze? Should i remove the KB** 's that i dowload from
MS window upgrdade??
Any advice is appreciated.

Subject: need help removing update

i need to remove Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6
Service
Pack 1 (KB867282) i know it's should be in add/remove programs, but i
recently installed sp2 and No Updates Installed before then Show!

reason i need to uninstall: it makes a error in IE, i installed it, and
had
problems using IE, so uninstalled it and no more problems! disliked not

having all my updates, so i waited acouple months thinking ms would
fix,
reinstalled update, Bam, IE no work.

problem: IE will no longer open 2nd windows, so if i am at a site, and
click
a link that requires that it opens in another window.... (such as this
site
for this post?!) it will LAG and Freeze, and if i wait, it will Not
open the
window, but the first window comes back with messages in lower left
with
yellow triangle with a exclamation point! error messages: error on
page:
problems with this web page may keep it from displaying properly, when
click details: Line 2 Char: 6433 Error: Server execution failed Code: 0

sometimes it says javascript instead of error on page
the reason i was able to submit this question is i have aol, and there
is no
problem with accessing the pages from there clicking links that open in
new
windows cause no problems

Robert Aldwinckle

WSL said:
1. piglet Jul 16, 12:46 am show options

I saw this from other thread.

In another newsgroup...

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:46:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Is it true the security update from MS
caused the ie6 freeze? Should i remove the KB** 's that i dowload from
MS window upgrdade??
Any advice is appreciated.

The other poster has a different OS and is confused anyway. <eg>

But are you citing that post because you have AOL too?

If so, I'd suspect an incompatibility with your AOL browser support more.
Can you try uninstalling it? If that works you might be lucky and be
able to reinstall it again without seeing the symptom again anyway.
Unfortunately I don't know how IE Repair and AOL browser react.

Hmm... which version of their browser do you have?
Apparently at one time there was an incompatibility with it for IE:

<title>KB179823 - GW 2.0 Err Msg: COMCAT.dll Was Unable to Register</title>

FYI comcat.dll would be one of the .dlls which an IE Repair would
attempt to re-register.

That's one unfortunate thing about the IE Repair: there's not much
feedback if some of the re-registrations aren't getting done cleanly.

Also, if the link is via AOL you could try to test whether that is a factor
by trying to launch pages which you know are in your cache and completely
available offline. You should probably try that anyway just to check on
the scope of your symptom.

Good luck

Robert
---

Robert Aldwinckle

#1: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
#2: IExplore
#3: <blank>
#4: WWW_OpenURL

Margaret,

Do you use RegMon (from SysInternals)?

If so, compare the the traces you get from

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

and

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

using the following filter (press Ctrl-L):
Include: SetValue
Highlight: DDE

Notice the highlighted lines which appear *only* with the second command?
Compare the values being set then with the suggestion you are making?

That's why I wish responders would point more often to the possibility
of using IE Repair or, where that is not available, the set of regsvr32
commands mentioned in KB831429. Both are superior to the list
in KB281679 and most manual registry hacks such as the above.

The main problem with the newer article is that it has not been generalized
for other OS or environments as the older article was. E.g. shell32 only
applies to NT5x and msjava may not be available on most systems.
(Frankly I don't know why msjava.dll is there in the first place.)

FYI

Robert
---

Jan Il

Hi Lee :)

It is possible, but, the only way to tell is by uninstalling it. If IE
works after the uninstall, then try a reboot, and then reinstalling it
again, making sure all anti-virus and all programs and open windows are
closed. There are a variety of things that can cause IE to freeze, so
uninstalling it can be one way of troubleshooting.

Also, check the following to be sure that there's no hidden malware on the
system causing this problem, which can often be the case.

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

WSL said:
1. piglet Jul 16, 12:46 am show options

I saw this from other thread. Is it true the security update from MS
caused the ie6 freeze? Should i remove the KB** 's that i dowload from
MS window upgrdade??
Any advice is appreciated.

I have all updates and none caused a problem here.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Jan Il

Hi Robert :)

Margaret,

Do you use RegMon (from SysInternals)?

If so, compare the the traces you get from

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

and

regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

using the following filter (press Ctrl-L):
Include: SetValue
Highlight: DDE

Notice the highlighted lines which appear *only* with the second command?
Compare the values being set then with the suggestion you are making?

That's why I wish responders would point more often to the possibility
of using IE Repair or, where that is not available, the set of
regsvr32
commands mentioned in KB831429. Both are superior to the list
in KB281679 and most manual registry hacks such as the above.

Just to touch on this part here a bit. I have been reminded on many
occasions, both on and off newsgroups, that an IE repair should not be
suggested unless it is the very last resort, and only if certain conditions
or problems are at hand. That is why I have refrained from offering it as a
possible solution until all other avenues have been exhausted. Often, the
OP has spent many hours toiling on their end to no avail, and the Repair is
ultimately the only recourse left to them.

If I understand your statement here, you are saying that responders should
recommend it more often, for less critical problems? This is an area that I
would very much like to clarify, for my own personal information, but, I
think it would also be good for other readers to know this as well.

Thank you very much for your time and help. <g>

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Robert Aldwinckle

Jan Il said:
Hi Robert :) ....

Just to touch on this part here a bit. I have been reminded on many
occasions, both on and off newsgroups, that an IE repair should not be
suggested unless it is the very last resort, and only if certain conditions
or problems are at hand. That is why I have refrained from offering it as a
possible solution until all other avenues have been exhausted. Often, the
OP has spent many hours toiling on their end to no avail, and the Repair is
ultimately the only recourse left to them.

If I understand your statement here, you are saying that responders should
recommend it more often, for less critical problems? This is an area that I
would very much like to clarify, for my own personal information, but, I
think it would also be good for other readers to know this as well.

If you are going to give someone some regsvr32 commands
or a reg hack (especially multiple re-registrations or a reg hack which is
a subset of a re-registration) I think that they might as well be the most
complete ones and users should be told about their options up front
and not kept waiting so we can tactically? keep some stronger repairs
in reserve.

The main objection that I can think of against an IE Repair is the
disruption of the boot that it forces. Otherwise the effect of it is
to do a mass of regsvr32 commands under controlled conditions
at boot time. Except for the boot I suspect that most users would
find this an easier procedure to follow than a bunch of regsvr32
commands. We have seen countless examples where there is
confusion about the syntax (e.g. spaces being ignored, and other typos.)
and other cases where modules mentioned don't exist in the user's OS, etc.
Those problems would be avoided as well with a more conventional GUI
oriented procedure which was specifically tailored to the user's OS.

The main objection that I have about the particular sets of regsvr32
commands which are commonly suggested is that they aren't as complete
as they could be, specifically the /i switch where appropriate, usually
is not given. That issue is moot also with a full repair.

Individual regsvr32 commands and reg hacks seem useful to me
mostly as diagnostics or for their documentation value
but often they are misinterpreted as "solutions".

So another objection to the concept of the IE Repair might be that by doing
all re-registrations at once you may lose the diagnostic value of being able
to do them one at a time. But the only time that I think I would bother with
that approach is if an incident is identified as a recurring problem.
E.g. then you might like to know specifically which module seems to be
associated with the problem cause.

In fact, IIRC that is exactly what happened with KB281679.
When it was first written it mentioned regsvr32 urlmon.dll *only*.
That was intended to be a workaround only for the IEAK problem
which you can still see mentioned there. And I believe it was originally
only written for XP users, which made an IE Repair inapplicable.
Note that it could have mentioned regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll if it was trying
to suggest a broader repair while still providing a simple workaround.
Over time KB281679 was transformed into a more general purpose
repair procedure still without acknowledging the possibility of stronger
alternatives.

XPsp2 with its /rereg switch should have been an even simpler
general purpose "solution". Unfortunately something seems to have
been botched in its implementation. Notice that you can't even find
an official reference to it any more except on non-English versions
of KB870700. Instead they keep falling back with references
to sfc /scannow which I am still to be convinced has anything
to do with module re-registration (i.e., the main purpose of an
IE Repair.)

Thank you very much for your time and help. <g>

FWIW

Robert
---

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

PA Bear

Please include all of previous message(s) in your replies here.
a) I re-register all dlls listed in the article, except Shell32.dll .
( i was not allowed to register [Shell]32.dll on 98SE).

Please explain.
b) I check Windows Update for critical updates. Most of them are for
security reasons.

Did you install all critical updates offered? What version of URLMON.DLL
are you running now?

IE Help > About > Update Versions > Is q883939 listed here?

[...]

Yes...the reregister of the .dlls does seem to confuse at times, even
without the ?'s <g>. And there are often the cases of non-existant files on
the users end, as you say, which then tends to negate all the effort in that
direction on both ends.
[...]

It seems to me that responders often tend to forget that many posters are
not that knowledgeable of the workings of their systems in such manners,
thus, they really may not understand the purpose of the steps they are
doing. When it does not work, their level of frustration goes up, and their
patience wans even more. Some like the learning process of an extended
process, others don't have the patience, or perhaps time for it. However,
there are also times when the repair can cause more problems than already
exist, so some preliminary troubleshooting and fact finding is necessary to
determine if the repair would be the right course of action. Sometimes that
is made more difficult when the necessary information is not forthcoming
from the poster. It's often a process of elimination and getting the poster
to provide the right information. As you know, sometimes that is often the
hardest part of the job for responders.

Thank you very much for your time to provide this information. You have
provided some very good food for thought and enlightenment on this issue,
and I truly do appreciate it.

Always of value :)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Robert Aldwinckle

Jan Il said:
Hi Robert :)

Yes...the reregister of the .dlls does seem to confuse at times, even
without the ?'s <g>.

And there are often the cases of non-existant files on
the users end, as you say, which then tends to negate all the effort in that
direction on both ends. ....

Hi Robert :)

It seems to me that responders often tend to forget that many posters are
not that knowledgeable of the workings of their systems in such manners,
thus, they really may not understand the purpose of the steps they are
doing.

All the more reason to completely list the options and explain them.
Just issuing prescriptions seems a bit presumptuous and doesn't
help the poster understand a resolution attempt. It also makes the
possibility of collaboration less likely, since the poster may be
cowed and too timid to report their own observations. That's when
you'll get the reaction: this was supposed to fix it? why didn't it fix it?

When it does not work, their level of frustration goes up, and their
patience wans even more. Some like the learning process of an extended
process, others don't have the patience, or perhaps time for it. However,
there are also times when the repair can cause more problems than already
exist,

I don't think I have ever noticed a case of an IE Repair causing havoc
but I will agree (from recent personal experience that an XP Repair
needs to be approached and handled with caution). But that is an entirely
different beast. It involves mass *module* replacement (regressions!) as well
as registry update, not just the execution of some DllRegisterServer
or DllInstall entry points in some select _pre-verified_ modules.

so some preliminary troubleshooting and fact finding is necessary to
determine if the repair would be the right course of action.

Agreed but what I'm saying is once a decision has been made to use
regsvr32 commands as part of a problem resolution it seems overly
timid to always offer only the weakest ones and unfair to the poster
not even to disclose the possibility of stronger options.

Sometimes that
is made more difficult when the necessary information is not forthcoming
from the poster. It's often a process of elimination and getting the poster
to provide the right information. As you know, sometimes that is often the
hardest part of the job for responders.

I really wonder sometimes what some poster's concepts are
especially when after being asked explicitly for the OS and version
no clues are forthcoming. ;o

Thank you very much for your time to provide this information. You have
provided some very good food for thought and enlightenment on this issue,
and I truly do appreciate it.

Always of value :)

Thank you! :)

Robert