IE6 Ceased Working

Ken Levitt

HELP!

One minute everything was working fine, 10 minutes later it stopped working.

I installed SP2 a month ago with no problems.
I have all of the latest Microsoft critical patches and most non-critical
ones.
I have 12/29/2004 virus definitions form Norton Anti-Virus & Internet
Security.
Norton Anti-Virus is set to detect all variations of ad-ware and spy-ware
A full system scan by Norton Anti-Virus shows no problems.
Outlook Express is working fine, so I know I'm connected.
2 other computers on my home network that use the same cable
Internet connection/firewall have no problems using IE.
I have not added or subtracted any software lately.
I am extremely careful about doing anything that might allow a virus
on my system.
The system and all communications hardware have been power cycled several
times.

Symptoms:
When I try to access ANY web site, I get "The Page Can Not Be
Displayed" message.
If I enter a known good IP address, I get the same thing.

Now here's the unique item:
If I enter a site address into the address field, for example
www.ibm.com
While it is trying to locate the site, the message line at the bottom
of IE shows www.www.ibm.com.net

Notice that an extra "www" was added to the front and an extra ".net"
was added on the end.

It is obvious that IE could not find the altered address.

I know this looke like a virus/adware/spyware, but if it was, shouldn't
Norton Anti-virus have found it?

Configuration:
XP Pro SP2
IE 6 with latest patches as of about 3 days ago.
D-Link DI-604 gateway/router/firewall
Norton Internet Security/Norton Ainti-Virus with all updates as of
12/29/04.
AMD XP 3000+ processor, 2.2ghz
512 mb memory
IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 128 bit encription.

PLEASE! Tell me where to go from here.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

"Ken Levitt" <[email protected] (To reply, replace 'NoSpam' with
'VetsPet')> wrote in message
[...]

Most anti-virus software is not very good at catching spyware/adware.

CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Ken Levitt

I have been trying everything to diagnose this.

Finally I turned off Norton Internet Security. Now IE is working again.

If I turn it back on, and disable all of the individual parts, IE still
doesn't work.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Ken

Semper

try this and see if it helps:
open NIS and hit options
Internet security
hit web content tab
add www.ibm.com to sites listed
hit user settings tab
customize that site to accept cookies ect

Ken Levitt

Found the problem.

I don't know how this happened, but NIS was set to block all traffic.

Setting it to normal solved the problem.

Ken
---