ie6/7

Dan

I uploaded ie7 but it had too many glitches so I uninstalled it thru
Add/Remove. That got me ie6 back but with some issues.

One issue is that on some websites, pressing on a link result in no change
to the screen or the status bar and I can't move forward.

Is there any way to "repair" ie6 without reinstalling Office? or other
thoughts on this phenomena?

Thanks.

Don Varnau

Hi,
First try IE> Tools> Reset web settings.

[Longshot]
Control panel> Add/remove programs> Set Program Access and Defaults, choose
Microsoft Windows or Custom. Make sure IE is selected as the default
browser.

Then, is the links problem consistent? Can you post a page where links never
work for you?

What other problems?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Dan

Didn't change as a result of your suggestions

The issue mostly shows up on login screens where pressing the login button
does nothing
Other issues are sometimes very slow rendering of the screen, i.e., after
pressing the link, the ie screen goes white for a while and then finally
renders the page.

dan
---------------------------------------

Dan said:
I uploaded ie7 but it had too many glitches so I uninstalled it thru
Add/Remove. That got me ie6 back but with some issues.

One issue is that on some websites, pressing on a link result in no
change
to the screen or the status bar and I can't move forward.

Is there any way to "repair" ie6 without reinstalling Office? or other
thoughts on this phenomena?

Thanks.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try clearing the Temporary Internet Files and setting the size of that
folder to no more that 50-60 MB.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

------------

Dan said:
I uploaded ie7 but it had too many glitches so I uninstalled it thru
Add/Remove. That got me ie6 back but with some issues.

One issue is that on some websites, pressing on a link result in no
change
to the screen or the status bar and I can't move forward.

Is there any way to "repair" ie6 without reinstalling Office? or other
thoughts on this phenomena?

Thanks.

Dan

already done

dan

----------------------------

"Dan" <dan[at]dsully.com> wrote in message
I uploaded ie7 but it had too many glitches so I uninstalled it thru
Add/Remove. That got me ie6 back but with some issues.

One issue is that on some websites, pressing on a link result in no
change
to the screen or the status bar and I can't move forward.

Is there any way to "repair" ie6 without reinstalling Office? or other
thoughts on this phenomena?

Thanks.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Work through this page
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/26.html
then this one
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/16.html

Doesn't sound (exactly) like a malware problem, but are you sure that the
machine is clean?
See:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

A legitimate program might be causing this. From IE> Tools> Manage add-ons.
Disable non-microsoft add-ons to see if one of them is the culprit.

Disable (for diagnostic purposes) programs such as pop-up blockers,
security, toolbars and other add-ons for IE, anti-virus, etc. Take a look at
any program that might be interfering with IE. You may have to reconfigure,
reinstall, or not reinstall, a program. Turn on the Windows Firewall (from
Control Panel or Security Center) before disabling a third-party firewall.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Dan said:
already done

dan

"Dan" wrote in message
I uploaded ie7 but it had too many glitches so I uninstalled it thru
Add/Remove. That got me ie6 back but with some issues.

One issue is that on some websites, pressing on a link result in no
change
to the screen or the status bar and I can't move forward.

Is there any way to "repair" ie6 without reinstalling Office? or other
thoughts on this phenomena?

Dan

I can't open either 26.html or 16.html..."Page not found"

Diagnostics don't show any spyware, etc.

Disabled all add-ins.

No change. I am kind of convinced that IE7 Beta left some registry setting
unrestored when it was uninstalled but I don't know how to find them. I
guess I'll switch to Firefox.

Thanks for all the help. (Any new thoughts?)

dan

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Dan said:
already done

dan

"Dan" wrote in message
I uploaded ie7 but it had too many glitches so I uninstalled it
thru
Add/Remove. That got me ie6 back but with some issues.

One issue is that on some websites, pressing on a link result in no
change
to the screen or the status bar and I can't move forward.

Is there any way to "repair" ie6 without reinstalling Office? or other
thoughts on this phenomena?

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try IEFix from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Dan said:
already done

dan

"Dan" wrote in message
I uploaded ie7 but it had too many glitches so I uninstalled it
thru
Add/Remove. That got me ie6 back but with some issues.

One issue is that on some websites, pressing on a link result in no
change
to the screen or the status bar and I can't move forward.

Is there any way to "repair" ie6 without reinstalling Office? or other
thoughts on this phenomena?

Dan

Looks like the perfect answer. Got it to run but it didn't solve the
problem.
dan
---------------.

"Dan" wrote in message
I uploaded ie7 but it had too many glitches so I uninstalled it
thru
Add/Remove. That got me ie6 back but with some issues.

One issue is that on some websites, pressing on a link result in no
change
to the screen or the status bar and I can't move forward.

Is there any way to "repair" ie6 without reinstalling Office? or
other
thoughts on this phenomena?

Dan

I have installed and uninstalled ie7 beta on three computers now. All three
exhibit the same issues when ie7 is uninstalled. Strange.........

dan