IE program does not open

All of a sudden, whenever I click on any shortcut or go to the program
itself, IE will not open. The hourglass icon appears then disappears. I have
scanned my system with latgest McAfee, PestPatrol and SpyHunter and they
report no viruses nor Trojans nor Adware nor Hijackers. I have SBC Yahoo DSL
and that browser window opens, but I prefer IE - it's less clutterred. I run
Windows XP Pro, but I have not rec'd the latest patch. Any suggestions?

Don Varnau

Hi,
This might be caused by malware that those programs didn't find. Try
CWShredder followed by Ad-Aware. See
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

A repair/reinstall of IE may help. See
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm >>> Tip #12

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Varnau

Steve,
Try...
From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party
browser extensions." If that allows IE to open, another program is causing
the problem.

You just have to find the offender ;-) It may be a legitimate program such
as AV, ad-blocker, security, etc.

See if BHO Demon from http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm finds
anything suspicious.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

Steve W said:
Don:
I have tried a re-install, but that did not help. I went to CWShredder - I
had an older version - and when I went to update it to a current version, I
was unable to navigate to it. I went to it directly by typing in the URL adn
downloaded the latest version. When I ran it, my system was clean - no
evidence of problems. However, when I clicked on the link for prevention
choices, (there were 3), none would load. The hourglass appeared briefly then
stopped and nothing happened.

I also went into the Internet Options from the Ctrl Pannel and made your
suggested changes - only one was necessary(Navigate across...) and rebooted.

But th eproblem remains. I will onctinue to try your other suggestions and
report back to the Newsgroup as to my success or lack thereof.
suggestions?

It's fixed, but I am not sure why or how. I wish I could point to a
particular solution.
I downloaded MS Baseline Security Analyzer and ran it. I had critical
updates to download: MS03-008, MS03-030, MS03-051, MS04-016, MSXML 3.0 and
MSXML 4.0. Some of these took and some did not, because after installing them
I ran the MS Baasic Security Analyzer again (after rebooting) and the
problems remained.

I went to http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm and tried their repairs. I
found several Ad-Ware pgms. I deleted them but teh problem remained. I
rebooted and still had the problem. Then I left the computer and ran some
errands. When I returned a few hours later - the computer was running all
that time, the problem was fixed.

I must have done something in the last few fixes from http://www.aunha.org
that didn the trick.

Thank you for your help.