IE/OE fix may not

Bob Brannon

I am using Windows XP Home SP2. I tried what was suggested in the MS
article http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787
but ran into a problem that the "pstores.exe" file did not exist anywhere on
my computer. As a result I do not know a method to get the correct
registry entries that article references. Can anyone tell me what I should
do from here? I had gotten the suggestion from Vincenzo Di Russo,
Microsoft® MVP - Windows - Internet Explorer/OE.

Don Varnau

Hi Bob,
You won't find a pstores.exe file. Just follow, carefully, the procedure in
this section "Export and Delete the ProtectedStorage Value" of
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787

This discussion has some good information:
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5412

You may have to create a new user account to resolve this problem.

Regarding the one site which won't give you the "save password" prompt.
Clearing all saved passwords has reset this prompt every time I've done it.
Some secure sites (banks, etc) are coded to prevent password caching. you
can't work around this.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Bob Brannon

OK, I did follow the procedure to "Export and Delete the ProtectedStorage
Value" but because I have no pstores.exe file, I could not replace the
correct registry key. So does that mean I do not even need that key (the
one listed below), or that it replaces itself on restart?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ProtectedStorage

On the other point, the site is a PayPal site that did save my password
before but won't now. I even called PayPal and they said it should by
clearing passwords, but it doesn't. Any other ideas?

Bob Brannon

Hi Bob,
You won't find a pstores.exe file. Just follow, carefully, the procedure in
this section "Export and Delete the ProtectedStorage Value" of
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787

This discussion has some good information:
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5412

You may have to create a new user account to resolve this problem.

Regarding the one site which won't give you the "save password" prompt.
Clearing all saved passwords has reset this prompt every time I've done it.
Some secure sites (banks, etc) are coded to prevent password caching. you
can't work around this.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau

Hi,
That registry key should be recreated on restart. But, by exporting it
first, you have a backup to restore if the situation were to get worse.

Regarding Paypal... are Paypal cookies being saved? In Internet Options>
Privacy, is the slider set to accept all (or low or medium?)

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Bob Brannon said:
OK, I did follow the procedure to "Export and Delete the ProtectedStorage
Value" but because I have no pstores.exe file, I could not replace the
correct registry key. So does that mean I do not even need that key (the
one listed below), or that it replaces itself on restart?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ProtectedStorage

On the other point, the site is a PayPal site that did save my password
before but won't now. I even called PayPal and they said it should by
clearing passwords, but it doesn't. Any other ideas?

Regards,

Bob Brannon said:
I am using Windows XP Home SP2. I tried what was suggested in the MS
article http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787
but ran into a problem that the "pstores.exe" file did not exist
anywhere
on
my computer. As a result I do not know a method to get the correct
registry entries that article references. Can anyone tell me what I should
do from here? I had gotten the suggestion from Vincenzo Di Russo,
Microsoft® MVP - Windows - Internet Explorer/OE.

Bob Brannon

Actually the cookies were set to High but I had added PayPal to the list of
sites allowed. However, I installed Spybot and that deletes all allowed or
blocked sites from the sites list.

So, I did some testing. With IE/OE closed, I deleted PayPal cookies and
temp files and set cookies to accept all. I unchecked all boxes in
AutoComplete, cleared forms and cleared passwords, then rechecked. I opened
IE, went to PayPal, entered my username and password. IE asked if I wanted
to save the password. I clicked yes. I was logged in, I then logged out
and closed IE. I opened IE and went to PayPal to login. My username was in
the form but when I entered the password field it remained blank.

So what do I do from here to get it to enter my password by default?

Bob Brannon

Bob Brannon said:
I am using Windows XP Home SP2. I tried what was suggested in the MS
article http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787
but ran into a problem that the "pstores.exe" file did not exist
anywhere
on
my computer. As a result I do not know a method to get the correct
registry entries that article references. Can anyone tell me what I should
do from here? I had gotten the suggestion from Vincenzo Di Russo,
Microsoft® MVP - Windows - Internet Explorer/OE.

PA Bear

See this related thread here: (subject) "Cookie Handling Problem"
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Value" of http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787

Bob Brannon said:
I am using Windows XP Home SP2. I tried what was suggested in the MS
article http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787
but ran into a problem that the "pstores.exe" file did not exist
anywhere on my computer. As a result I do not know a method to get
the correct registry entries that article references. Can anyone
tell me what I should do from here? I had gotten the suggestion from
Vincenzo Di Russo, Microsoft® MVP - Windows - Internet Explorer/OE.

Bob Brannon

Yeah, I tried all that but it still doesn't help with that one site.

Bob Brannon said:
I am using Windows XP Home SP2. I tried what was suggested in the MS
article http://support.microsoft.com/?id=251787
but ran into a problem that the "pstores.exe" file did not exist
anywhere on my computer. As a result I do not know a method to get
the correct registry entries that article references. Can anyone
tell me what I should do from here? I had gotten the suggestion from
Vincenzo Di Russo, Microsoft® MVP - Windows - Internet Explorer/OE.

Robert Aldwinckle

Bob Brannon said:
IE asked if I wanted to save the password. I clicked yes.
I was logged in, I then logged out and closed IE.
I opened IE and went to PayPal to login. My username was in
the form but when I entered the password field it remained blank.

So what do I do from here to get it to enter my password by default?

Somewhere in all your various threads Don quoted me about this
very thing. ;) You have to take a leap of faith. *Assume* that you
are seeing those asterisks (the ones that give that comfortable feeling
that your password has been remembered.) Click Login anyway.
Does it work?

BTW when I did this it was with an http: connection so the userid and
password went out in clear text and thus it was very easy to prove that
password really was being sent even though those asterisks weren't
there. Unfortunately, that is as far as my testing went with that case,
so I don't know if the asterisks ever come back without more invasive
repair procedures.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Bob Brannon

Nope, just tried and it didn't let me login. Anything else I can do?

Bob Brannon said:
Nope, just tried and it didn't let me login. Anything else I can do?

Well, you said that it saved something; so what did it save?

You could use the PSVP utility ("Protected Storage PassView")
to see that.

You could use RegMon filtering on your password to see
if it is being reaccessed. In particular it would be interesting
now to see what happens if you delete the userid. You could
see if A) you get the prompt about deleting a userid/password
pair and B) if RegMon shows it being deleted. More importantly
it would give you a chance to start over again. Perhaps this time
it would work better?

Good luck

Robert
---

Bob Brannon

How do I get the PSVP utility and RegMon?

Bob Brannon said:
Nope, just tried and it didn't let me login. Anything else I can do?

Well, you said that it saved something; so what did it save?

You could use the PSVP utility ("Protected Storage PassView")
to see that.

You could use RegMon filtering on your password to see
if it is being reaccessed. In particular it would be interesting
now to see what happens if you delete the userid. You could
see if A) you get the prompt about deleting a userid/password
pair and B) if RegMon shows it being deleted. More importantly
it would give you a chance to start over again. Perhaps this time
it would work better?

Good luck

Robert
---

Don Varnau

Bob,
Sorry. I lost track of this thread. If you only have this problem with
Paypal, here's something I've noticed.

When I go to Paypal, my name appears in the name field, but the cursor moves
down to the password field. To get IE to put in that password, I moved the
cursor back up to the name field and hit the Tab key. IE then filled in the
password. Paypal is the only site that I can recall that works that way.

Try it. See if that's what's occuring in your situation.

Protected Storage PassView v1.62- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html
Regmon http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Bob Brannon said:
How do I get the PSVP utility and RegMon?

Bob Brannon

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried your tab suggestion, but the
password still did not fill in. I still don't know what to do. Any other

Bob Brannon said:
How do I get the PSVP utility and RegMon?

Don Varnau

Hi,
No more ideas except that you could use Protected Storage PassView to see if
IE has a password stored for Paypal. I don't know what you do after that.

I had experimented with the Paypal login page and noticed the different
behavior. I just wanted to see if you had noticed that.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Bob Brannon said:
Thanks for getting back to me. I tried your tab suggestion, but the
password still did not fill in. I still don't know what to do. Any other
ideas?
Bob,
Sorry. I lost track of this thread. If you only have this problem with
Paypal, here's something I've noticed.

When I go to Paypal, my name appears in the name field, but the cursor moves
down to the password field. To get IE to put in that password, I moved the
cursor back up to the name field and hit the Tab key. IE then filled in the
password. Paypal is the only site that I can recall that works that way.

Try it. See if that's what's occuring in your situation.

Protected Storage PassView v1.62- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html
Regmon http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

Bob Brannon

I have asked in this thread where to get that utility, but have not gotten a
response. Do you know how I can get it?

Bob Brannon said:
Thanks for getting back to me. I tried your tab suggestion, but the
password still did not fill in. I still don't know what to do. Any other
ideas?
Bob,
Sorry. I lost track of this thread. If you only have this problem with
Paypal, here's something I've noticed.

When I go to Paypal, my name appears in the name field, but the cursor moves
down to the password field. To get IE to put in that password, I moved the
cursor back up to the name field and hit the Tab key. IE then filled in the
password. Paypal is the only site that I can recall that works that way.

Try it. See if that's what's occuring in your situation.

Protected Storage PassView v1.62- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html
Regmon http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

Bob Brannon

My mistake, I see the links below.

Bob Brannon said:
Thanks for getting back to me. I tried your tab suggestion, but the
password still did not fill in. I still don't know what to do. Any other
ideas?
Bob,
Sorry. I lost track of this thread. If you only have this problem with
Paypal, here's something I've noticed.

When I go to Paypal, my name appears in the name field, but the cursor moves
down to the password field. To get IE to put in that password, I moved the
cursor back up to the name field and hit the Tab key. IE then filled in the
password. Paypal is the only site that I can recall that works that way.

Try it. See if that's what's occuring in your situation.

Protected Storage PassView v1.62- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html
Regmon http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

Bob Brannon

Protected Storage PassView did show that there is the correct password
stored.