IE is corrupted & I'm not sure what to do

I'm using XP SP2. IE is corrupted and I've checked the Knowledge Base and it
says to re-install SP2. But when I go to microsoft's website where SP2 is
located, it won't let me re-install it. It says SP2 is already installed.
So then I think I should uninstall IE and then re-install it. But I'm afraid
I'll mess up something else in XP. Is there a way to just uninstall IE and
then only re-install IE with all the service packs without affecting the rest
of XP?

Don,
Sometimes IE gets frozen and then shuts down. Sometimes when I close IE,
the program won't terminate and I get the window to end or cancel. Sometimes
IE just won't open. Sometimes IE opens to the wrong page. It's not
consistant but comes across to me that it is corrupted. I read the article
you suggested. I'm wondering if my browser has been hijacked. How do I know
for sure? Which programs should I run to best detect if that's the case?

Now I have a lot of options. I don't know what to do first?

Learning

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
What are the symptoms? Many Internet Explorer problems do not require and
are not resolved by a reinstall/repair.

But... How to Reinstall or Repair IE / OE in Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Learning said:
I'm using XP SP2. IE is corrupted and I've checked the Knowledge Base and it
says to re-install SP2. But when I go to microsoft's website where SP2 is
located, it won't let me re-install it. It says SP2 is already installed.
So then I think I should uninstall IE and then re-install it. But I'm afraid
I'll mess up something else in XP. Is there a way to just uninstall IE and
then only re-install IE with all the service packs without affecting the rest
of XP?

Don Varnau

Hi,
These symptoms could be caused by a legitimate program, toolbar, BHO, etc.
You could try disabling add-ons from IE> Tools> Manage add-ons.

But, it's more likely that you have malware installed.
See these sites for help:

The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
(Great place to start)

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
827315- Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don,

I will try these tonight. I had a strange thing happen this evening. I was
logged into CompUSA's website checking on an order I did online few days
ago. The red saterick was next to a couple of required fields. One was my
phone number. I put the first number in and then a phone number I didn't
know filled in, as if someone had been using my account. I ried again and
another phone number came up. so I copied both of these numbers down and
then called both of them. Onenumber belonged to a friend who has no Internet
connection or computer. The other number belongs to a friend who I recently
called. Neither of these people have access to my computer. How would the
"saved phone numbers" get phone numbers of 2 friends of mine who I know have
no access to my computer? I'm really beginning to think someone gets into my
apartment when I'm not here. What do you make of all of this?
Learning

"Learning" <Learning[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I'm using XP SP2. IE is corrupted and I've checked the Knowledge Base and
it
says to re-install SP2. But when I go to microsoft's website where SP2 is
located, it won't let me re-install it. It says SP2 is already installed.
So then I think I should uninstall IE and then re-install it. But I'm
afraid
I'll mess up something else in XP. Is there a way to just uninstall IE
and
then only re-install IE with all the service packs without affecting the
rest of XP?

PA Bear

...I'm really beginning to think
someone gets into my apartment when I'm not here.

And you already have your first 2 suspects.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

:
Hi,
What are the symptoms? Many Internet Explorer problems do not require
and
are not resolved by a reinstall/repair.

But... How to Reinstall or Repair IE / OE in Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm
"Learning" <Learning[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I'm using XP SP2. IE is corrupted and I've checked the Knowledge Base
and it says to re-install SP2. But when I go to microsoft's website
where SP2 is located, it won't let me re-install it. It says SP2 is
already installed. So then I think I should uninstall IE and then
re-install it. But I'm afraid I'll mess up something else in XP. Is
there a way to just uninstall IE and then only re-install IE with all
the service packs without affecting the rest of XP?

PA Bear

cf. Learning's thread in WinXP New Users:

http://groups.google.com/group/micr..._frm/thread/6fe48a5601321397/bed20ea6255ed6bf
--
~PA Bear