Subject: IE 6.0 Download
From: "Jennifer"
<[email protected]> Sent: 4/23/2004
7:35:54 AM

When I began to update my browser, the instructions were
to go to "Add/Remove Programs" and delete the IE, but the
name of the program was different than the actual one
showed in my list. The one listed displayed was IE with a
series of numbers (about 5 or 6), which I did delete.

Then during installation, I received the
message: "...most recent version is already
installed...recommend exit without reinstalling." I made
several attempts, by choosing "Yes," then "No." Then I
always received the message, "Setup cannot continue,
because files are missing from the installation
directory. Please run setup again and choose "Resume
Setup. This will install the missing files and continue
setup." Instead I got the message "Setup was unable to
install all of the components. Please close all
applications and try running Setup again."
Choosing "okay" automatically rebooted my computer.

These messages continued to appear, regardless of which
option I chose. All I was able to accomplish was going in
circles and causing my pc to reboot. Upon starting my pc,
these messages continued to appear.

What I find strange is that even after deleting the one IE
program that appeared on my "Add/Delete" list, the IE
icons still function.

Help, please!

Don Varnau

Jennifer,
As Barney wrote, you probably only uninstalled an update. You often have to
remove one or more updates before getting the option to remove IE.

But... which OS (version of Windows) are you using? It's usually not
necessary (or advisable) to remove IE before repairing or reinstalling it.

And... which problems were you having that prompted the reinstall attempt?

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Jennifer" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Jennifer