IE 6 can't open *some* websites

M CoFarb

Greetings, all.

I know that this has been discussed ad nauseum, however, I'm hoping someone
has some further insight(s) and recommendations.

Running XP over a DLL connection, using hardware PPPOE on a router - this is
the same setup I've been using for months, without any problems.

After the installation of the MS automatic update patches last week, I've
been unable to open a couple of websites that I routinely go to. One is
'www.smarthphone thoughts.com'. Another is the 'current wallet users' link
in 'wallet.yahoo.com'. In addition, whilst I can open 'www.celluloco.com',
I'm no longer able to click on any of the phones and the ' details or
specifications' links. The pages hang until I get a "could not be found"
message.

Now, from searching like a madman looking for a solution, I'm finding that
this is a common enough problem that seems to have popped up out of nowhere.
Different people have different problems with some pages, so it would appear
*not* to be the specific site as opposed to some file or another in XP on a
local machine.

I've tried all of the solutions, common and otherwise, that have been
suggested. I've spent hours on the phone with MS tech support.

In summary, I've given all of the following a try:

*delete temporary internet files, cookies and history
*checked all privacy and security settings, as well as advanced IE settings
to defaults
*confirmed 128 bit encryption
*tried a 'restore' to last week before this all started
*reregistered the following files:
Softpub.dll
Wintrust.dll
Initpki.dll
Dssenh.dll
Rsaenh.dll
Gpkcsp.dll
Sccbase.dll
Slbcsp.dll
Cryptdlg.dll

*removed my Norton antivirus program
*tried creating a new user profile to see if that would help (no)
*used sfc to scan and replace any corrupted system files
*renamed host files and allowed for re-creation of same
*run adaware and spybot to remove any suspect programs
*checked for viruses
*removed the installed patches and updates
*changed settings to MTU as referred in
*run lpsfix, also as suggested in this group
* installed Opera and Mozilla - each of which had the SAME problem with
those few sites.
*I've also run sytem information, Internet Explorer, and file versions -
expanding and replacing *each* file, one by one, hoping I would find the
solution.

So my question, in short, is this:

What files are shared by Opera, Mozilla and IE ? Does anyone have any
additional suggestions, short of a repair installation?

Thanks.

Mark

M CoFarb

thanks, Don.

I tried both suggestions, though without any luck. It certainly seems to be
an odd bug. Probably one time error in about a zillion lines of code
somewhere.

Mark

M CoFarb

Thanks, Don.

I've tried the suggestions on both sites, to no avail. I'm a bit puzzled by
the problem. I'm gathering other people are having similar problems as well,
though it seems as if it isn't the particular sites that are problematic...
I can easily open the sites other people are having trouble accessing. I
can't get to some things that I only find out about on a first visit, or
others that I've been browsing right along

www.smartphonethoughts.com (yes, spelling is OK <g> )
www.pocketpcthoughts.com
www.phonescoop.com
wallet.yahoo.com ('existing wallet users....link')

yet others work just fine for me.

I can ping the sites and the domain is resolved, so it isn't a DNS problem.
For some reason, I'm just not getting a reply from the sites. Yet, if I use
a third party vehicle (like anonymizer.com) I can get to the websites. And
that would make sense, too, for people who have described not being able to
use IE to browse certain sites but can use the AOL browser.

I don't know enough about programming to understand the process by which a
web site is contacted and the page returned to my browser. Maybe there is
something in common with the sites I can't get to. If you don't mind, could
you view the source code for a few of them to see if there is anything that
the sites have in common ? Too many people are reporting this as a problem
after installing the latest security update that I have to believe it is a
problem with a file that is replaced or a registry entry that is changed.

Surely some programmer at MS has *some* idea about this.

Though this is probably the wrong ng to inquire, is it possible to do a
repair installation of XP solely from the windows/I386 directory ? Cause I
am reaching that point.

thanks.

Mark

Don Varnau said:
See if you run across anything new at
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#secure_sites
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#dns

Probably not... but, you haven't been misspelling/mistyping
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/ have you?

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

M CoFarb said:
thanks, Don.

I tried both suggestions, though without any luck. It certainly seems to be
an odd bug. Probably one time error in about a zillion lines of code
somewhere.

Mark

Don Varnau said:
Mark,
Check MS VM/Java versions:
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_9.htm

And, from Frank Saunders:
In a Cmd window, enter
ipconfig /flushdns
then clear your TIF also, and re-boot.

Don
--

"M CoFarb" <mark[at]cofarb.com> wrote in message
Greetings, all.

I know that this has been discussed ad nauseum, however, I'm hoping
someone
has some further insight(s) and recommendations.

Running XP over a DLL connection, using hardware PPPOE on a router - this
is
the same setup I've been using for months, without any problems.

After the installation of the MS automatic update patches last week, I've
been unable to open a couple of websites that I routinely go to.
One
is users'
link finding
that XP
on

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

M CoFarb said:
[...]

This probably isn't it, but it's worth checking.
Check for a file named HOSTS with no extension (not Hosts.sam). It may be a
hidden file. Open it with Notepad and remove any line referencing the site.
Or, rename HOSTS to OLDHOSTS

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

M CoFarb

This is a little embarassing, and I don't understand *at all* how this got
resolved, but I'll pass this on. Like other suggestions that have followed
this and similar threads, this may or may not work for some people.

I've tried every suggestion above, to no avail. Still the same problem -
some sites work and some don't - until a few minutes ago. In the course of
untangling the web of wires under my desk, I had to disconnect my cable
modem and my router. When I plugged everything back in after a few minutes,
I returned to my heretofore feeble attempts to search out a clue.

Damned if the browser didn't work perfectly. I can access all my websites
again.

So.... if you are behind a router using a high speed connection (in my case,
DSL with PPPOE on the router), give it a try. Can't hurt.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

Mark

Shelly

M CoFarb said:
[...]

the 'current wallet
users' and the ' details
or solution, I'm
finding some pages, so it
would file or another in
XP otherwise, that have
been
had the SAME problem
with Explorer, and file
versions - hoping I would find
the
IE ? Does anyone have
any

.
Have any of you come up with a solution to this problem.
I am running Windows XP, IE 6.0 on a DELL and there are
certain sites I can't get to MOST of the time. It is very
frusterating.