IE 6.0 on Windows 2000 Closes Unexpectedly when opened

Jeff

Hi everyone,

This is one of the oddest things I've seen. I have a
computer that starts up fine. Ran AdAware, and Spyware.
Everything looks great.

When I try to get on the internet, the web page opens for
about 3 seconds, then closes. No warning message, no error
message, nothing... I even tried opening my computer, and
typing a URL in the box. It too will start to open the web
page then it just closes unexpectedly.

Get this, I started in safe mode, and it works just fine...

I've tried to uninstall IE, and reinstall, SFC.exe the
hard drive, and nothing works. I can't get this browser to
work...

It seems like some external program is trying to run when
IE is launched. Is there anyway to find out what is
connected to IE?

Thanks for any help. =)

Jeff

Don Varnau

Jeff,
You're right that another program is probably causing this. Try disabling
(for diagnostic purposes)
legitimate programs running in the background which might be interacting
with IE- security, antivirus, ad-blockers, toolbars & other add-ons, etc.
You may have to uninstall then reinstall, or not reinstall, a program.

Then, you might have malware that Ad-aware and Spybot(?) don't find. Go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through steps 1-3, then post a
HijackThis log for analysis (step 4.) Be patient. They're busy.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

Or, the "clean boot" troubleshooting method may help you find the
troublesome program.
276393 - Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in
Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276393

Hope this helps,
Don

Jeff

Yeah, it was TVMedia (tvm.exe). That web site you gave me
told me I might have it. Then I had to start in safe mode,
delete the folder, and then remove it from the Registry.

All gone and working for now!

Thanks for all the help!

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

.