IDE driver problem

Reaction score
I just put together a new system using an ECS848P-A motherboard (BIOS ver.1.0) with a Pentium IV 2.4GB processor, a westerndigital HDD, and a Creative PC-DVD Dxr2 CD-ROM, OS is Win98.
On startup I receive this error: "While initializing device NDIS windows protection error occured. Your multi-function device (standard dual PCI IDE controller) has some child devices using 32-bit drivers and others using compatibility-mode drivers."

On restart in "safe mode" I see that the HDD and CD-ROM are in compatibility-mode. I cannot use the CD-ROM in windows "safe mode" to run the motherboard install disc and it will not run in dos mode. I attempted run the install disc from the HDD by copying the disc onto the HDD (including hidden files) but it would not initialize. It seems that I need to run the install disc to get the correct drivers, and need the correct drivers to run the install disc. Is there another way to get the proper IDE drivers installed? Or is win98 now too old to handle todays hardware?
Jay

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Or is win98 now too old to handle todays hardware?
Yep, you got it ...
Incorrect PCI Bus Master IDE controllers cause this problem. CD-ROM's use these drivers to interface with your system. The problem is not with the CD-ROM drive, since in Windows you do not need any special drivers to make it work.

Contact your motherboard manufacturer for updated drivers. You need to also remove the DOS drivers from the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys for the CD-ROM drive.

:)

Ask a Question