Windows XP I'd sure like to install the driver to my printer, but...HELP! Keep getting INF error

Reaction score
I don't get it.

I had to do some traveling with my laptop, and also took my handy-dandy HP 1350v All-in-one Printer, which has worked beautifully for 4 years.

But...I didn't bring the installation CD, nor could anyone find it at home. So......I downloaded the correct driver from the HP website.

I then save the files into the HP_WebRelease file, then the file extraction, then Checking System, Preparing to Install...then I connect the USB cable, Install from a specific location....and every single time I try this, I get the following error box:

CANNOT INSTALL HARDWARE. The required section was not found in the INF.

Sheesh. So.....I talk to the HP techies, and we proceed to do all sort of fixes--clearing out my temp files, checking the USB, testing this or that, even uninstalling and reinstalling...NOTHING. I get the same message every time and can't install.
wallbash.gif

I'm left with wondering if this is a FIREFOX issue, or a NORTON ANTI-VIRUS issue....or am I faced with the daunting task of gettiing another XP Professional CD, and reinstalling???? The latter scares the heck out of me. Isn't there another solution?? I did see another post on her awhile back about this, and they instruct the person to look at something at the end of the offending file...but I have no idea HOW to do that or how to use that to solve this problem.

Nancy

Reaction score
Apparently there is an issue check This site look at all issues regarding your HP.
Hmmmm... Norton is a no no Useless:nod: :wave:

Reaction score
The link you have below is simply the part of the HP site where you download the driver. That's not the issue. It's when you attempt to install the driver. And that same HP site does mention the error message, but following their instructions has done NOTHING. I am stuck!!!

Norton is a no no? I have no idea why. It's been a great anti-virus machine.

But I'd SURE like ideas on how to get past this error. grrrrrrr

itsme said:
Apparently there is an issue check This site look at all issues regarding your HP.
Hmmmm... Norton is a no no Useless:nod: :wave:

Reaction score
IF you go to the site scroll to the bottom of the page and download this>

HP Printing Diagnostic Utility

And run it?
Failing that do a restore to an earlier date IE when it worked the printer.

Norton thats up to you?

Reaction score
I downloaded the below printing diagnostic, and when I tried to run it, it won't let me choose the computer I use, and says the installation was not successful, and needs to be redone. Yet, when I now try to redownload it, it just gives me a page with this one it:
Index of ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software9/COL21389/mp-56143-2/IJS_PDU0101_NN_W32_U_WW.exe/

itsme said:
IF you go to the site scroll to the bottom of the page and download this>

HP Printing Diagnostic Utility

And run it?
Failing that do a restore to an earlier date IE when it worked the printer.

Norton thats up to you?

Reaction score
Yikes, is there not anyone who has had this problem, and resolved it?? Wow this is frustrating. The HP techs are clueless. The latest email from one of them wants me to fool with the REGISTRY!!!

Nancy

nancyadams said:
I don't get it.

I had to do some traveling with my laptop, and also took my handy-dandy HP 1350v All-in-one Printer, which has worked beautifully for 4 years.

But...I didn't bring the installation CD, nor could anyone find it at home. So......I downloaded the correct driver from the HP website.

I then save the files into the HP_WebRelease file, then the file extraction, then Checking System, Preparing to Install...then I connect the USB cable, Install from a specific location....and every single time I try this, I get the following error box:

CANNOT INSTALL HARDWARE. The required section was not found in the INF.

Sheesh. So.....I talk to the HP techies, and we proceed to do all sort of fixes--clearing out my temp files, checking the USB, testing this or that, even uninstalling and reinstalling...NOTHING. I get the same message every time and can't install.
wallbash.gif

I'm left with wondering if this is a FIREFOX issue, or a NORTON ANTI-VIRUS issue....or am I faced with the daunting task of gettiing another XP Professional CD, and reinstalling???? The latter scares the heck out of me. Isn't there another solution?? I did see another post on her awhile back about this, and they instruct the person to look at something at the end of the offending file...but I have no idea HOW to do that or how to use that to solve this problem.

Nancy

Ask a Question