Icons Disappeared

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined in the faint hope that somebody can help me. I am currently using Windows XP with a 56k modem, I have Mc Afee on an unfortunately got a virus which made all my icons and start menu and task bar disappear from the desktop. The only thing I can see on my screen after logging on is my desktop pic. I was advised that Windows Live One Care would rid me of this virus so I bought it and it did find and get rid of the virus and I have since scanned my pc and there is no infections found but unfortunately I am left with still no icons etc on screen. The only way I can get onto the internet and e-mail is through windows task manager (ctrl, alt and delete) which is a total pain as I cannot get into any other functions that are usually accessible through the start menu. This is totally driving me insane now and Mc Afee want 70 quid for a 12 min telephone conversation to help me. I would be most grateful for any help. I have also tried to create new icons etc and it won't let me.

Regards

A very desperate windows user :mad:

Reaction score
Shirl70 said:
Hi all,

Just joined in the faint hope that somebody can help me. I am currently using Windows XP with a 56k modem, I have Mc Afee on an unfortunately got a virus which made all my icons and start menu and task bar disappear from the desktop. The only thing I can see on my screen after logging on is my desktop pic. I was advised that Windows Live One Care would rid me of this virus so I bought it and it did find and get rid of the virus and I have since scanned my pc and there is no infections found but unfortunately I am left with still no icons etc on screen. The only way I can get onto the internet and e-mail is through windows task manager (ctrl, alt and delete) which is a total pain as I cannot get into any other functions that are usually accessible through the start menu. This is totally driving me insane now and Mc Afee want 70 quid for a 12 min telephone conversation to help me. I would be most grateful for any help. I have also tried to create new icons etc and it won't let me.

Regards

A very desperate windows user :mad:

Hi and welcome to the forum

Try starting your machine in safe mode and doig a system restore and see what happens..

Reaction score
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, I have tried starting up in safe mode but the same thing happens and I cannot get into my system restore because I have no start menu (aaarrrrgggggh)

Reaction score
Shirl70 said:
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, I have tried starting up in safe mode but the same thing happens and I cannot get into my system restore because I have no start menu (aaarrrrgggggh)

Thats not good...I'd say back up whatever data you have on the machine then do a clean install...Might sound a bit drastic, but in my opinion about the best thing to do..Others might come on tonight and have ideas on what to do...

Reaction score
Yeah thats what I was thinking as a last resort, would you know if it's just a case of putting what I want to keep onto a disc and installing my original windows CD do you know ?????

Reaction score
First thing I must say and the majority of the users on this forum will agree, Mcafee is a virus in its own right [Useless].

unless you are able to enter safe mode to do repairs it is quite pointless in proceeding with a telephone call costing £70.00 that is disgusting.
So I suggest the same as MadXG But DO NOT install Mcafee use a free version of anti-virus such as AVAST>AVG> Etc.
What Virus has been detected?

Reaction score
Shirl70 said:
Yeah thats what I was thinking as a last resort, would you know if it's just a case of putting what I want to keep onto a disc and installing my original windows CD do you know ?????

Yeah save what you want to keep to disk..Reformatt and do a clean install of xp...
Although before you do that....If you can download Spybot Search and destroy, then Super anti spyware...Install them and disconnect from the internet..Run both of them and see what you come up with..They are both very good at picking up things most ant viruus don't...Then after that do a reapir instal...Basically insert your Xp disk into Cd drive and restart your computer..Choose to do a reapir install, this will repair/replace all OS files that are corrupt/missing or damaged but will not affect any of your other programes or files...Try that before doing a complete clean install...

Reaction score
I agree with Madx the best way to solve this problem is either by doing a repair install or reinstalling windows.

Regards

Ask a Question