IBM harddisk problem

Ivan Cheung

Dear all,

I have an IBM harddisk model IC35L060AVER07-0, 60GB, 7200RPM. It was bought
2 years ago in Wan Chai Comp Center. However, my main board can't detect it.
So i set the jumper of harddisk to 30GB and my main board can detect it. I
now use it to download movies from BT. But it becomes very hot and has
prompted address error and restart computer. But then it can't detect the
harddisk again. After all, I try many times and BIOS said "Booting from IDE
harddisk: OK" and "can't read from harddisk". Does anybody know why and how
to recover it? i have saved much important data in it. I have also tested
it in other computer and other computer can't detect it even the jumper is
set back to 60GB. Does it mean that it is burnt???

Thanks in advance.

Ivan

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The following steps are required if you have a faulty drive and need to return it.
http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/si...i_baseMenuID=22f0deefa8f3967dafa0466460e4f0a0

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Ivan Cheung" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Dear all,
|
| I have an IBM harddisk model IC35L060AVER07-0, 60GB, 7200RPM. It was bought
| 2 years ago in Wan Chai Comp Center. However, my main board can't detect it.
| So i set the jumper of harddisk to 30GB and my main board can detect it. I
| now use it to download movies from BT. But it becomes very hot and has
| prompted address error and restart computer. But then it can't detect the
| harddisk again. After all, I try many times and BIOS said "Booting from IDE
| harddisk: OK" and "can't read from harddisk". Does anybody know why and how
| to recover it? i have saved much important data in it. I have also tested
| it in other computer and other computer can't detect it even the jumper is
| set back to 60GB. Does it mean that it is burnt???
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Ivan

Plato

Ivan said:
I have an IBM harddisk model IC35L060AVER07-0, 60GB, 7200RPM. It was bought
2 years ago in Wan Chai Comp Center. However, my main board can't detect it.

Perhaps you need a bios upgrade/flash.

Al Dykes

Perhaps you need a bios upgrade/flash.

Go to the www.ibm.com and look for support for that model. It should
give you a way to see if ot's still on warranty, and how
to get it replaced.

You'll probably get automatically redirected to Hitachi, who
probably has to support old IBM models since they bought the
dirsk storage division.

xe77

I happen to have two IBM Deskstar drives from that
generation. It is true they run hot, they are hig-
perforamnce hard drives. You need to allow for cooling
space around the drive in the computer case, especially
when it's running a full load. BitTorret causes a lot of
hard drive activity so it will cause elevated
temperatures. You should keep drive termparatures below
50 degress Celsius. You can use a SMART moitoring program
to keep an eye on the temperatures in the drive.
You may also install the drive in a hard drive cooling bay
as a second option.
For now, allow the drive to cool completely and try again.

Jim Macklin

There are heat sinks made to cool hard disks, Google for
"hard drive coolers"

| I happen to have two IBM Deskstar drives from that
| generation. It is true they run hot, they are hig-
| perforamnce hard drives. You need to allow for cooling
| space around the drive in the computer case, especially
| when it's running a full load. BitTorret causes a lot of
| hard drive activity so it will cause elevated
| temperatures. You should keep drive termparatures below
| 50 degress Celsius. You can use a SMART moitoring program
| to keep an eye on the temperatures in the drive.
| You may also install the drive in a hard drive cooling bay
| as a second option.
| For now, allow the drive to cool completely and try again.

Plato

xe77 said:
I happen to have two IBM Deskstar drives from that
generation. It is true they run hot, they are hig-
perforamnce hard drives. You need to allow for cooling
space around the drive in the computer case, especially
when it's running a full load. BitTorret causes a lot of

Ditto they run hot. You cant really sandwitch them in a standard 3 1/2
bay with another hard drive as it can also make the non ibm run hot as
well. Personally if I had one here at home I'd put it in a 5 1/4 bay and
make sure I'd have a second case fan going.

Plato

Jim said:
There are heat sinks made to cool hard disks, Google for
"hard drive coolers"

You'd still need good air circulation in the case of course for the
heatsink to work as designed. Some folks get these fans that fit in a 5
1/4 bay that blow air out to your face I really hate those :)

Jim Macklin

Agreed, any fans should blow in the front and out the back
at the top.

If heat is a problem, water cooling is quiet, cool and can
remove more heat than air.