i5 2500K vs 3570K

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
After a long wait, I'm just a few weeks away from upgrading my PC. It looks like SSD prices have plummeted since Christmas, so I can't wait to get one of those :D

However, I'm torn between CPU choices... The Intel i5 2500K or 3570K?

I'm not going to be overclocking to crazy speeds, and I may even just stick with the stock cooler (unless there's a good reason not to?). So for that reason, I thought I may as well go Ivy Bridge and make the most of the Z77 chipset - as the prices are more of less identical.

Any thoughts on if that is a sensible idea? :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'd go 3570K if it were me personally.

the only real downside is the temps as i read it.but if your not overclocking the nuts off it that wont be an issue. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks V_R, yeah that's what I was thinking - so glad to have it confirmed :D

How far do you think I could go just using stock cooling? TBH, even at stock speeds it will be fast enough for me - but I may as well squeeze a little out of it ;).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm honestly not too sure, i'm a little out of touch with hardware these days, though i'd want an after market cooler if it were me. :)

Reaction score
I'm in the same position Ian!

Hopefully within the next month I can say goodbye to the Athlon 3700+ and join the modern age :lol:

I've been catching up with all the hardware, especially Intel's insistence on releasing several very similar processors for very similar prices over a relatively short period of time.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which one are you going to go for PotGuy? :) I'm pretty much settled on the 3570K now - going to order it by mid-July, so not long to wait :D.

Reaction score
Which one are you going to go for PotGuy? :) I'm pretty much settled on the 3570K now - going to order it by mid-July, so not long to wait :D.

Definitely the 3570K, its only a couple of quid more. In the benchmarks it sneaks out a couple more fps and its just generally a bit faster. The only cost to factor in is the HSF, but I was going to get an after market one anyway.

I'm not ordering til mid July either, I have a new job starting then and I'm celebrating by finally building a new compooper. Going to play some Battlefield 3 and enjoy Football Manager running at a million miles and hour :lol:

Can't wait to use a quad core with a 670. Going to be mental, especially upgrading from a 3700+ with a 275GTX.

One thing I didn't realise was how much SSD hard drives had fallen in price! When I last checked they were £500+!

I also have two 36gb raptors I want to use somehow. Decisions decisions.

Last edited:

Ask a Question