I would like an OOo Textpad (ultimate textpad)

Morgan Ohlson

The OOo word processor is very powerful. In ordinary use it's also very
stable. Perfect for most occations.

Unfortunately, it also seem to consume very much memory.

Because of that it sometimes would be a nice idea to have a stand-alone
small and core memory efficient OOo-txtpad. A textpad made just to write
bulk txt for OOo.

Naturally any txt-pad could be used, save in txt and import into OOo. But,
what I'd like is that the text pad automaticly installes and take use of
dictionary settings from OOo. That way any language, that user likes in OOo
automaticly installed in the txtpad too.

In such a pad I would like a feature to highlite txt and mark it as
?worknotes or explaination level? (viewed in optional dull colors). With 1
button for each level the marked txt should be possible to toggle on and off
(same in printing and export). 3'rd button to toggle body text on /off.
Obviously this is aimed to organize large text mass.

((Not many software have editable cursors and active line (area /cell) to
give best operation in LapTops on battery. I believe that applications with
the note: ?_Adaptable for low light laptops_? would be extra popular.))
..

Morgan O.

Mike Dee

Naturally any txt-pad could be used, save in txt and import into
OOo. But, what I'd like is that the text pad automaticly installes
and take use of dictionary settings from OOo. That way any
language, that user likes in OOo automaticly installed in the
txtpad too.

What a great idea. Can't help sorry, but think the concept is
fantastic. I envisage something like a MS Windows "Write" for OO.o.

meow2222

Morgan said:
The OOo word processor is very powerful. In ordinary use it's also very
stable. Perfect for most occations.

Unfortunately, it also seem to consume very much memory.

Because of that it sometimes would be a nice idea to have a stand-alone
small and core memory efficient OOo-txtpad. A textpad made just to write
bulk txt for OOo.

If you're still using core memory, time for an upgrade! Or have you
bought up most of the worlds remaining stocks of core ram? If so, you
might just have enough.

There are lots of neat features these big fat WPs have failed to
incorporate. Roughdraft has a very nice pad file feature for example,
but I've yet to see it on anything big. But then bloatware WPs arent
good design anyway.

NT

Sudden Disruption

Morgan,

Sounds like a good idea.

Finish up the spec and maybe someone will code it up for you.

That's how these things get started.

Sudden Disruption

meow2222

Sudden said:
Morgan,

Sounds like a good idea.

Finish up the spec and maybe someone will code it up for you.

That's how these things get started.

Sudden Disruption

Does sudden view include a pad file feature? I've been meaning to try
SV but havent yet. Of all the WP features I've encountered, the pad
thing is the most useful.

NT

Sudden Disruption

NT,
Does sudden view include a pad file feature?

I'm still working on the website. But a PAD file for Sudden View as a
product is on my list.
Of all the WP features I've encountered, the pad thing is the most useful.

I assume you mean tools for creating XML PAD files. If that's the
case, no Sudden View is simply an ASCII text editor - but with a twist.
It uses the principles of Direct Manipulation to edit text. You need
to see it in action (Sudden.net) or better yet do it to understand what
I mean.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Sudden Disruption

Morgan Ohlson

NT,

I'm still working on the website. But a PAD file for Sudden View as a
product is on my list.

I assume you mean tools for creating XML PAD files. If that's the
case, no Sudden View is simply an ASCII text editor - but with a twist.
It uses the principles of Direct Manipulation to edit text. You need
to see it in action (Sudden.net) or better yet do it to understand what
I mean.

I hope I've answered your questions.

How does Sudden View keep track on different levels in the text?

Does Sudden View support large cursor and pointer altering for low light
LapTops?

Morgan O.

Morgan Ohlson

If you're still using core memory, time for an upgrade! Or have you
bought up most of the worlds remaining stocks of core ram? If so, you
might just have enough.

There are lots of neat features these big fat WPs have failed to
incorporate. Roughdraft has a very nice pad file feature for example,
but I've yet to see it on anything big. But then bloatware WPs arent
good design anyway.

I think the memory problem doesn't stem from low RAM, more like the memory,
central core function. I'm no pro and can't explain in the right words, but
there is some kind of "needles eye" in all ibm-clones memory handeling.

Some software challange this more, other less and is not directly related to
minimum RAM.

[...]

.

Morgan O.

There is an ocean of textpads out there. Strangly they all seem to have the
same features. Mostly (?) aimed towards program authors.

I mean textpad as non WISIWYG and Wordprocessors as being WISIWYG. But, I
think it can be god to have italics, bulk and underlining wich also lead to
saving in sxw or rtf.

An OOo textpad should in my oppinion be aimed towards creative, essay and
study-reports writing as OOo is an office /SOHO pack.

Few textpads have this usefull features.

# speed bookmark function
# simple levels of text (to toggle on /off) *1
# dictionary
# word /scentens statistsics (as avarage word length (difficoult words).
Average scentense lengt in words. (tiering to read))
# big /small cursor /pointer options (EditPad lite)
# active line highlight (EditPad lite, Crimson have this)
# speed paragraph move (marked block - goto line X dialog)

*1 I think it would be super to have 3 levels of text. 1) Bulk txt, 2)
notes and a 3) contents level. Actually those levels could simply be called
black, blue and red levels as they could be used anyway the user likes.

Morgan O.

Klaatu

Does sudden view include a pad file feature? I've been meaning to try
SV but havent yet. Of all the WP features I've encountered, the pad
thing is the most useful.

Sudden View is shareware, and off-topic for this newsgroup.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Sudden Disruption

Morgan,
How does Sudden View keep track on different levels in the text?

Sudden View's Abstraction reflects the starting postion of each line so
indented text abstracts first in up to 200 levels. This works well for
navigating indented code. Word-wrapped text is also considered the
lowest (or most detailed) level with multiple levels of outline hiding
progressively later.
# speed bookmark function

You don't have to set bookmarks. Sudden View takes you to the last
four places you've worked in each file.
# simple levels of text (to toggle on /off) *1

Sudden Abstraction has many levels - more of an animated analog
experienced but it can also be stepped using the keyboard.
# speed paragraph move (marked block - goto line X dialog)

Sudden View's strength is Dynamic Arrangement. Paragraphs and other
types of blocks can be moved quickly and visually without the use of
menus.
Does Sudden View support large cursor and pointer altering for low light LapTops?

No. Only one cursor but the content can be dynamically scaled in real
time.
There is an ocean of textpads out there. Strangly they all seem to have the
same features. Mostly (?) aimed towards program authors.

That's because they were originally written by programmers for writing
code. In my case, I also like to wrte more than just code so Sudden
View has not only a TOTALLY different feature set from most textpads,
but a whole different way of working. It's not for everyone, but for
those who spend a LOT of time with text it has features no other
textpads have. And that's the reason I've bothered to put it back up
on the net.

Which gets to the last point.
Sudden View is shareware

Technically true. But it's UNLIMITED shareware which means it's not
crippled and has no time limit. OK, I do ask for registeration every
now and then and I'm not ready to give up my copyrights, but I also
think it's better that Sudden View is used indefinitely for free than
not at all. Which is why it's unlimited.

Sorry if this crosses the line.

Sudden Disruption

Klaatu

Technically true. But it's UNLIMITED shareware which means it's not
crippled and has no time limit. OK, I do ask for registeration every
now and then and I'm not ready to give up my copyrights, but I also
think it's better that Sudden View is used indefinitely for free than
not at all. Which is why it's unlimited.

It's still shareware, therefore off-topic.
Sorry if this crosses the line.

It does. But don't be sorry, just don't compound the error by doing it
again.

Susan Bugher

Technically true. But it's UNLIMITED shareware which means it's not
crippled and has no time limit. OK, I do ask for registeration every
now and then and I'm not ready to give up my copyrights, but I also
think it's better that Sudden View is used indefinitely for free than
not at all. Which is why it's unlimited.

hmmm. . . sounds more like Nagware (free) than Shareware - since you
have not made payment a legal requirement.

The Cacheman (PL2005 PL2004 PL2003 PL2002 PL2001) license is somewhat
similar:
http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=product&id=2

<q>
What does Cacheman cost?

Cacheman's cost is dependent on the user:

1. Private/Educational user

The registration fee for Cacheman is $10. Since most users cannot afford
$10, Cacheman has no disabled features and no time limit. If you really
cannot afford the shareware fee you are allowed to use Cacheman as
Freeware. All updates for registered users will be free even if we
should be forced to change the license to Shareware only with the next
major release.
Sudden Disruption
--
Sudden View...
the radical option for editing text

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Morgan Ohlson

[...]

Is there any open source texteditor that could be arranged for this?

Morgan O.

Morgan Ohlson

Yes, any outliner could be set up to do this.

Note that OOo doesn't have a real outliner capability, I use tvo in Vim,
personally. Vim is at <http://www.vim.org> and tvo is at
<http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=517> (Note there is
more than one thing calling itself "The Vim Outliner")

Hmmm, I didn't think about an outliner at all. I can't say that would be
wrong, but I more like imagined a textpad where text is floating as usual
and where you "switch on /off" text of a certain color.

The colors should not have any "rank" or order as nodes have in an outliner.
Just a plain text with different sober colors. This means that the text in
the document repetedly can change between black and (ex) blue. Write a
paragraph (black) and then make some blue notes. After that some key-words
in red.

That way the doc can show any combination of the colors as You have used
them (blue can be notes and red can be content keywords). Bue is allways the
"blue level" and red is the "red level" without any rank between them, they
are simply back, blue and red text

The colors should be permanently "connected" to it's own toggle button.

Morgan O.

Morgan Ohlson

Morgan,

Sounds like a good idea.

Finish up the spec and maybe someone will code it up for you.

That's how these things get started.

Sudden Disruption

What data /facts are needed in a spec?

Morgan O.

Sudden Disruption

Morgan,
What data /facts are needed in a spec?

Some say the best designs start by writing the news release. Then the
brochure. Then the mamual. This certainly reflects good top-down
design, but few are done this way.

Most designs start with a key idea and are fleshed out along the way.
But be careful. You can end up with a monster.

I think it's best to first clarify the problem you wish to solve. Then
describe the solution. That's what a spec is - the complete
description of a product and how it functions under every circumstance
which is not an easy chore. And the things you don't describe, the
programmer will. So be careful.

Of course the best expression of a visioin will come from YOU doing the
coding too.

Have fun.

Sudden Disruption

meow2222

Morgan said:
I think the memory problem doesn't stem from low RAM, more like the memory,
central core function. I'm no pro and can't explain in the right words, but
there is some kind of "needles eye" in all ibm-clones memory handeling.

Some software challange this more, other less and is not directly related to
minimum RAM.

Morgan O.

try this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_memory

NT

meow2222

Hi SD

I assume you mean tools for creating XML PAD files.

I had a feeling after posting that that I hadnt explained it properly.
A pad file is a plain text file that is opened and saved and worked on
in conjunction with the main file being edited. In Roughdraft this pad
file opens as a narrowish column to the right of the main file.

What is the point of these pad files?

1. 'To do list' for the main file
2. Notes of all sorts on the main file
3. List your main file paragraphs, replacing each one with a short
phrase, and you get an overview of your main document's structure,
something thats impossible to get from the main file itself. I've found
this a great help on restructuring and reordering things, it enables
seeing how the different pragraphs/sections tie together.

Other users will probably have other uses for the pad file, those are
just what I do with them.

The pad file saves with the same file name as the main file with 'pad'
added on the ended of the filename. So the saved files might be called:
mainfile.txt
mainfile_pad.txt

I'll see if I can add any more info using your spec guidance...

I think it's best to first clarify the problem you wish to solve.

OK, the problem is in txt documents there is nowhere to put all kinds
of notes about the document. There is no scratchpad space for figuring
stuff out, only the document itself. Using the main doc as this
scratchpad workspace has significant drawbacks, such as
- the need to repeatedly scroll up and down large distances,
- and the risk of unsuitable information remaining in the doc at
release time.
- the need to wipe all the note info out and recreate it when releasing
a newer version of the document.

Then describe the solution.

a txt notepad that works beside the main file can help solve all sorts
of problems. Today anyone can do this by opening 2 different windows
and creating 2 different files, but this is pretty cumbersome, and most
dont even think to do it. Roughdraft's pad system is a real
productivity booster, and is an idea I can much recommend.

NT