I need to know more reasons graphics don't show up!

I'm going insane!

I'm using FP2003. I'm the volunteer webmaster for the National CFIDS
Foundation. We have a page that has graphics (thumbnail jpg) which you click
to get a larger version of the photo (using a javascript popup).

I'm not very technical. I can usually read my way through HTML and cut and
paste bits of code to get done whats needed. In this case I copied existing
code for one card the Foundation sells -- and that part of the page works
fine. I edited the copied code for the new jpgs, being very clear that the
file names were exact as were their location (i.e. not local, correct
directory, etc.). I've deleted the jpgs from the server and uploaded them
again just in case they were corrupt. Nothing changes.

Whilst in Design mode, I see the thumbnail photo of the card correctly.
When I go into Preview mode, it disappears and I get the "x" of a missing
file (same result when I upload the page and the supporting files to the web).

**What are some other reasons why jpgs don't appear** -- it's *not* a
mistyped file name and the file is definitely there in the referenced
directory. I've even tried changing the file names to make them shorter,
remove numbers, etc. on the hopes it was a fluky problem with the actual file
name. I tried moving the code somewhere else on the page. Always the same
result -- the graphic shows up in Design mode but *not* in Preview mode or on
the web.

Here's the existing 'live' page:
http://www.ncf-net.org/fundraiserShop.htm

Here's the new page I put up there (but can't take live because I can't get
the graphics to show even though they are there -- both the thumbnail and the
larger one show up as the 'x' of a missing file):

http://www.ncf-net.org/fundraiserShop-NEW.htm

I've never had this problem where the file is there but the link doesn't
work though it SHOULD. If you could email me with ANY clues on where to look
I'd be ETERNALLY grateful!!

Thanks!

Diane
Volunteer Webmaster, National CFIDS Foundation

(e-mail address removed)

Stefan B Rusynko

Check the file name spelling and if on a non windows server the CaSe of the image file that is not showing
card-thumb.jpg

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

| I'm going insane!
|
| I'm using FP2003. I'm the volunteer webmaster for the National CFIDS
| Foundation. We have a page that has graphics (thumbnail jpg) which you click
| to get a larger version of the photo (using a javascript popup).
|
| I'm not very technical. I can usually read my way through HTML and cut and
| paste bits of code to get done whats needed. In this case I copied existing
| code for one card the Foundation sells -- and that part of the page works
| fine. I edited the copied code for the new jpgs, being very clear that the
| file names were exact as were their location (i.e. not local, correct
| directory, etc.). I've deleted the jpgs from the server and uploaded them
| again just in case they were corrupt. Nothing changes.
|
| Whilst in Design mode, I see the thumbnail photo of the card correctly.
| When I go into Preview mode, it disappears and I get the "x" of a missing
| file (same result when I upload the page and the supporting files to the web).
|
| **What are some other reasons why jpgs don't appear** -- it's *not* a
| mistyped file name and the file is definitely there in the referenced
| directory. I've even tried changing the file names to make them shorter,
| remove numbers, etc. on the hopes it was a fluky problem with the actual file
| name. I tried moving the code somewhere else on the page. Always the same
| result -- the graphic shows up in Design mode but *not* in Preview mode or on
| the web.
|
| Here's the existing 'live' page:
| http://www.ncf-net.org/fundraiserShop.htm
|
| Here's the new page I put up there (but can't take live because I can't get
| the graphics to show even though they are there -- both the thumbnail and the
| larger one show up as the 'x' of a missing file):
|
| http://www.ncf-net.org/fundraiserShop-NEW.htm
|
| I've never had this problem where the file is there but the link doesn't
| work though it SHOULD. If you could email me with ANY clues on where to look
| I'd be ETERNALLY grateful!!
|
| Thanks!
|
| Diane
| Volunteer Webmaster, National CFIDS Foundation
|
| (e-mail address removed)

Walter Weiss \(EIRE\)

Hallo Diane

I can confirm, that the thumbnails are visible in designmode, but not in IE
delivered from the server.
There are no errors in your source causing that problem.

Your problem comes from the picture itself;
just conirm the transmission protocol following:

1) the working (2nd) thumbnail:

started....
WWWConnect::Connect("www.ncf-net.org","80")\n
IP = "216.55.101.28:80"\n
source port: 1991\r\n
REQUEST: **************\n
GET /picts/frenchdoorway.jpg HTTP/1.0\r\n
Host: www.ncf-net.org\r\n
Accept: */*\r\n
\r\n
RESPONSE: **************\n
HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\n
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:02:32 GMT\r\n
Server: Powered by PowerBSD - Apache/1.2.6\r\n
Last-Modified: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:10:52 GMT\r\n
ETag: "103ba1-150f-4157062c"\r\n

what you can see, is that a picture with 5391 byte is delivered. Ok so far.
Now have a look at the protocoll for the 1st not-shown picture:

started....
WWWConnect::Connect("www.ncf-net.org","80")\n
IP = "216.55.101.28:80"\n
source port: 1952\r\n
REQUEST: **************\n
GET /picts/card-thumb.jpg HTTP/1.0\r\n
Host: www.ncf-net.org\r\n
Accept: */*\r\n
\r\n
RESPONSE: **************\n
HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\n
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:59:19 GMT\r\n
Server: Powered by PowerBSD - Apache/1.2.6\r\n
Last-Modified: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:22:27 GMT\r\n
ETag: "103a0e-8ea39-452d5283"\r\n
\r\n

as you can see, even this picture is delivered (HTTP 200) but still not
shown in Browser. Most significant: Your thumbnail have 584249 bytes...
little bit to much to render for IE.

Solution: resize the original picture to a reasonable size (~10K)

Walter
IIS support engeneer
"webmaster at ncf-net.org" <webmaster at

I cut and paste the file name to avoid that problem. It was one of the first
things I checked. That's not the problem. But thanks for the suggestion.

David Berry

Did you solve the problem because I see all the images on both pages just
fine.

"webmaster at ncf-net.org" <webmaster at
news:[email protected]...

Walter,

You're my hero! I had noticed a freakishly larger-than-expected file size
but didn't connect it with the problem. I usually control file size in
photoshop by (a) resizing the image (b) picking a resolution of 72 and (c)
the Jpeg quality, etc. -- I did all those things and the files were still
larger than expected. So I thought I'd done everything. After you pointed
that out, I went back to see what I was missing.

I had converted the file to CMYK recently (when we made the cards) and I
didn't realize how much that affected file size. I put it back to RGB color
and that did the trick. Thanks for the lesson!

You rock!

Thanks again!

Diane

Mark Fitzpatrick

The file is definitely there, but it could be that the picture is in the
wrong format. Something is wrong with it as it's 570 KB, and only 100 pixels
by 70 pixels. It shows up in another browser. I would try editing the
thumbnail all over again as something is definitely wrong with the file
format itself.
--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

"webmaster at ncf-net.org" <webmaster at
news:[email protected]...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It turned out to be the file size
which was inexplicably large (given the small dimensions, resolution of 72
and jpg quality of medium). It had been saved as CMYK color and apparently
when I put it back to RGB color, it shrunk the files enough to work.

THANK YOU!! You've saved my sanity (what's left of it) I really
appreciated everyone comments.

As soon as I fix the paypal buy buttons, the new page will go live. So if
anyone needs some holiday cards for a good cause you know where to find them.
:)

THANKS!
Diane

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

CMYK won't display on the web...so it wasn't totally a size issue.

"webmaster at ncf-net.org" <[email protected]>
wrote in message | Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It turned out to be the file size
| which was inexplicably large (given the small dimensions, resolution of 72
| and jpg quality of medium). It had been saved as CMYK color and
apparently
| when I put it back to RGB color, it shrunk the files enough to work.
|
| THANK YOU!! You've saved my sanity (what's left of it) I really
| appreciated everyone comments.
|
| As soon as I fix the paypal buy buttons, the new page will go live. So if
| anyone needs some holiday cards for a good cause you know where to find
them.
| :)
|
| THANKS!
| Diane

I didn't know that. I'll have to pay attention not to save the CMYK versions
when I make them (or at least to keep them separate and not get them mixed
up). Thanks for helping solve my mystery.
Diane

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

I work with web & print media a lot, so I don't confuse my cmyk images with
rgb, I put "cmyk" in the file name when I name the file....saves me some
time - although you usually can tell somethings goofy when you look at an
image thats cmyk if you're used to seeing it in rgb.

wrote in message |I didn't know that. I'll have to pay attention not to save the CMYK
versions
| when I make them (or at least to keep them separate and not get them mixed
| up). Thanks for helping solve my mystery.
| Diane
|
| "Rob Giordano (Crash)" wrote:
|
| > CMYK won't display on the web...so it wasn't totally a size issue.
| >

| > "webmaster at ncf-net.org"
<[email protected]>
| > wrote in message
| > | Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It turned out to be the file
size
| > | which was inexplicably large (given the small dimensions, resolution
of 72
| > | and jpg quality of medium). It had been saved as CMYK color and
| > apparently
| > | when I put it back to RGB color, it shrunk the files enough to work.
| > |
| > | THANK YOU!! You've saved my sanity (what's left of it) I really
| > | appreciated everyone comments.
| > |
| > | As soon as I fix the paypal buy buttons, the new page will go live.
So if
| > | anyone needs some holiday cards for a good cause you know where to
find
| > them.
| > | :)
| > |