I need a new PC after xmas! Please help!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'll have around £650 to spend with my saved up cash and i like gaming so the PC must be able to play some of the latest games.. I have a monitor already so i dont need one of them.

Ive been searching for a few days and a couple of companies have caught my eye... (sites removed : spam?)

Obviously ive been looking at Dell, arbico etc but i was more impressed with the top two as they had good options and simple sites to use although UVM's did seem expensive..

please help me so i can get the right pc for me for value for money etc

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do you need a mouse, keyboard, speakers and operating system? That will affect the price.

I've never heard of the two companies you've linked to so can't comment on them but companies come, companies go....

This should suit your needs at around £530.00 inc postage which leaves enough over to either buy an OS or get better spec video cards (sli) for the system.

And a second recommendation from me for Novatech as a supplier.

Also, the fact that it's your first post and there are two relatively unknown companies linked to has set my antennae quivering but for now we'll leave things as they are.

Reaction score
Yeah i need an operating as well....and i do need a new keyboard and mouse as the old ones a bit crusty lol!!!!
I just used mentioned them companies as ive had a couple of friends recommend them due to past experience and as im new to the custom built environment word of mouth is quite a mitigating factor when it comes to making an important purchase like this...
Where you get your PC from...any recommendations mate? apart from Novatech obviously lol

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mark W said:
Yeah i need an operating as well....and i do need a new keyboard and mouse as the old ones a bit crusty lol!!!!
I just used mentioned them companies as ive had a couple of friends recommend them due to past experience and as im new to the custom built environment word of mouth is quite a mitigating factor when it comes to making an important purchase like this...
Where you get your PC from...any recommendations mate? apart from Novatech obviously lol

I got my PC's from all over the place as I built them all myself.

If I were going to buy a ready built PC I'd choose Novatech but I really don't have any experiemce of buying tailor-made machines, sorry about that.

If you want a gaming machine with mouse, keyboard speakers and Windows you're pushing the limit with a budget of £650.00

Although the one I linked to above at Overclockers is within budget with Windows Vista and you could probably stretch to the other bits as well.

This one Here is a bit below £750.00 with Vista Home Premium and is the lowest priced gaming system that Novatech do. It's a good machine though.

I've been buying parts from Overclockers for years now and have never had a problem apart from one late delivery but I have been reading lots of complaints and negative reports about the company of late so I'm wary to recommend them.

I took a look at Chillblast, seems they supply monitors with their prebuilt systems but it might be worth giving them a phone call as they're an excellent company. I also took a look at Scan, they hardly do any prebuilt systems so don't bother going there.

Link to Chillblast

Reaction score
Yeah i was going to mention that... ive read a few threads about them on this forum... so might give them a miss! It seems their customer service seems shocking.....

Other people have mentioned my budget as well... lol might have to scrap a bit more money to get a decent system withj half decent graphics cards i think.

Im going to have a good look around need to make the right choice!

thanks for your help.

Any more recommendations will be helpful tho!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah and when it goes wrong and you had the extra the insurance as well and they say its still not insured and won't help.

Goodluck.

Reaction score
Decided to purchase from one of my original options (edit :URL Removed), but i've took your advice on the Razor mouse and kb.. will let you know how the purchase went.. I'll also post you the spec so you can give me your opinion. Thanks for the advice... hope you all had a good xmas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Budget Intel PC Builder

Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E8400

320Gb SATAII HDD 7200rpm

OCZ 2048MB DDR2 800MHz (2X1GB)

ASUS P5K PRO

Samsung/LG DVD-RW 20X

512MB ATI HD4870

OCZ 500W Silent PSU

A-Plus CS 188A

Onboard

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32bit)

Standard Intel/AMD Fan

Logitech S220

Razor® Deathadder

Razor Lycosa keybaord (UK layout)

1 yr RTB with 2 month free C&R (12 month parts)

6-8 working day delivery from payment date (standard)

System Total: £725.99

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's a good machine.

Not too sure about the price though, I could build for less.

Still, as an off the shelf machine I guess it's a fair price.

Reaction score
Yeah i cant build pc's myself tho dont know how. Yeah ive heard good things about them though from a friend. we'll see how it goes anyway but when i spoke to them earlier they were quite impressive and seemed to know what their on about... but the proof will be in the pudding... when the PC arrives. Will keep you posted!

Reaction score
Mark W said:
Hi All,

I'll have around £650 to spend with my saved up cash and i like gaming so the PC must be able to play some of the latest games.. I have a monitor already so i dont need one of them.

Ive been searching for a few days and a couple of companies have caught my eye...

Obviously ive been looking at Dell, arbico etc but i was more impressed with the top two as they had good options and simple sites to use although UVM's did seem expensive..

please help me so i can get the right pc for me for value for money etc

Some times aldi do good pc for the money you got.

Most pc at that price range will play today games at a limit.

Dell are,nt the best i think and are over price abit.

Reaction score
Phenom 2 x4 builds are appearing now, well cheap and outperforming most Core 2 Duo builds.
I'm soo gonna get me one to fiddle with.....
I'll report back on this when I manage to cook it on Liquid cooling :p

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
JaLing said:
Phenom 2 x4 builds are appearing now, well cheap and outperforming most Core 2 Duo builds.
I'm soo gonna get me one to fiddle with.....
I'll report back on this when I manage to cook it on Liquid cooling :p

Make sure you wait until feb and get an AM3 build and not an AM2+, i'm still not convinced with them, its just a higher clocked phenom, not a lot of performance increase.

AM3 = DDR3 future, no point getting a DDR2 build anymore, price has dropped alot.

Nice PC btw.

Ask a Question