I need a good 64bit Linux distro

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hey, not your fault, it's us men with our gadgets, we trip overthem all day. :D

I say, Suse's burning software is a breeze ... it automaticly burned the ISO correctly. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Back again ... in Suse. :rolleyes:

This is getting rediculas ... PCLos never got to the desktop. :confused:

muckshifter

Reaction score
ladypcer said:
Did you look in "home"?
M'Lady, I am home. :D

No, it got to a desktop, a black one with "login" on it ... so I logged in.

I know NO 'command line' commands = lost. :blush: oh, I tell a lie, I know 'EXIT'. :D

For tonight, we just play on Suse, maybe tomorrow I'll have another stab. Splitting head at the moment. :(

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, I downloaded Gentoo once only to find out it doesn't have a GUI. :blush:

Reaction score
Are we having fun yet?
Let's go slow here, I'll be switching over to suse shortly so I can answer specific questions.
Seeing you go thru these other distro's (all of which I've used) Let me comment on them:
1. Mephis nice looking layout, text is blurry and some people (me included) could not get the graphics system working. if it isn't nvidia or ati, it doesn;t work right. too bad. Format hda11
2. PClinuxos a pretty solid distro, excellent web multimedia support out of the box, has a nice control center
that is fairly easy to use. Initially I had some issues, but after doing a distro upgrade to a newer level it has been very good. you may need to try one of their failsafe settings when booting the live cd. you may want some more experience before using it tho.
3. Gentoo- most certainly does have a gui, but you have to make it yourself. requires alot of reading and care following of their lengthy instructions to be successful.

Now re your first post, I prefer "new linux user". Newbie seems to infer new to pcing altogether.
Now I know you want instant gratification, ala windoze, but remember, this is a free os, and many of the apps came from people putting in their own time to write the code, and others taking the time to tailor it to each distro. That does lead to some problems, as when they write instructions, sometimes it is a little different or they weren't exactly clear when they wrote them.

That said, don't be so discouraged, you're actually doing quite well. there IS a learning curve. I'll get back to you later on how to setup a floppy and a usb drive after I boot the other laptop with suse on it.
I know guys who installed suse on their parent;s pc for their use, and they are running along just fine.

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, I was told that I had to compile a GUI for Gentoo. Forget that. :rolleyes:

I like Mepis because it's fairly simple and easy. I've had no video problems, but I use mainly nVidia.
Because I use my rigs primarily to run Distributed Computing programs, most of them have on board video, sound, and ethernet.
I always bump up the size of the text anyway, so I hadn't noticed text being blurry until you mentioned it.

SuSe- I'm liking it so far :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
SuSe- I'm liking it so far
biggrin.gif
icon14.gif

Me too ... it certainly feels a little more refined than some of the others.

Hello tjm4fun, nice to have you back.
cool.gif

Yes, I am having fun, yes I do get frustrated because "I CAN'T DO IT" attitude, and, no, I was not expecting instant windows.
tongue.gif
But I'm quite pleasantly surprised at how close they have got though.
icon14.gif

Need to get my printer connected, it is no good sat over there ------------>>>

What gets me confused is the terminology ... the K in KDE stands for nothing.
tongue.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
AND THAT REALLY ANNOYS THE HELL OUT OF ME

I'm getting used to Firefox ... but, why did that happen. :confused:

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
I'm going to start some distro based threads. This one's getting a little long.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yeah, we should split them up a bit ... I just moved everything in the 'Hovel' to accomodate the printer ... just have to shutdown and see.

I'll start one on that if I have any problems. ;)

Ask a Question