Just 1 grub when multi-booting Linux distros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I would like to install Fedora alongside my Arch and Ubuntu distros on the same disk, but wish to avoid pulling in yet another bootloader - which is what had happened during my other two installations.
I don't think standard Fedora Workstation (or any GUI-based installers for that matter) offer this option.
Although I can't find any resources specifically warning the readers this is bad practice, surely having multiple bootloaders per distro is redundant with os-prober. Is there a simple method of possibly omitting grub (I assume I need a Netboot install in this case?) or just removing it afterwards easily?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I would like to install Fedora alongside my Arch and Ubuntu distros on the same disk, but wish to avoid pulling in yet another bootloader - which is what had happened during my other two installations.
I don't think standard Fedora Workstation (or any GUI-based installers for that matter) offer this option.
Although I can't find any resources specifically warning the readers this is bad practice, surely having multiple bootloaders per distro is redundant with os-prober. Is there a simple method of possibly omitting grub (I assume I need a Netboot install in this case?) or just removing it afterwards easily?

rEFIND works very well with the new UEFI systems.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd

The rEFInd Boot Manager by Roderick W. Smith

I dual booted Arch and W7 on a 100 MB EFI partition but it did not leave much room. I recon that as a rule of thumb having 100 MB per os would be fine for normal use.

:cool:

Grub is so so yesterday time to leave the old and embrace the new.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question