I NEED A GIGA!

JJ

My computer has got the worm i have downloaded norton and
it won't install, i also have the sercurity patch but it
won't install either instead it comes up with a message
saying "cannot verify the integrity of the file
Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is
running on this computer." Can you help me?

Pavan

JJ,
SYMPTOMS
When you configure automatic updates, or when you try to install updates on
your Windows XP-based computer, you may experience one of more of the
following behaviors:
a.. You cannot install certain updates.
b.. You are prompted to install one or more updates that you have already
installed.
c.. When you try to install an update, you receive an error message
similar to the following error message:

Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the
Cryptographic service is running on this computer.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
1.. Quit all programs that are running, including antivirus programs.
2.. Remove the C:\Windows\System32\CATROOT2 folder, where C:\Windows is
the path of your Windows installation. To do so:
1.. Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
2.. Locate the C:\Windows\System32\Catroot2 folder.
3.. Right-click the Catroot2 folder, and then click Delete.
4.. Click Yes to confirm the removal of this folder.
5.. Quit Windows Explorer.
3.. Install the updates again.
MORE INFORMATION
For additional information about how to configure automatic updates in
Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
306525 HOW TO: Configure and Use Automatic Updates in Windows XP

This is the recommended procedure from the Microsoft's Website

ConiferComputerGuy

This did the trick for me!

Go to Start, Run... and type:

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

A dialog box will come up to let you know that it has been successful. Now,
try re-running the patch!

It has worked on two of my computers. Thanks to izzy for this one!

-- Aaron