I can't correct page numbers in Word 2010

MaryL

I can't begin to describe my frustration at trying to perform what is
probably a very simple function. I create our church newsletters by using
an old version that includes a scanned image of the church plus some basic
information at the top. Many hours have gone into this "template" (not a
true template, I realize), and I would not want to start all over. There
are parts of the newsletter where I will move from 3 columns to 1 column or
similar changes. I have done this many times, and that may be why I have
the problem I am going to describe because I have probably confused the
issue by using various sections.

I originally had page numbers that were created some time ago and wanted to
change the style. I was successful in doing that, using information from
this newsgroup. Now I am using page numbers in the bottom left that show
at -2-, -3-, etc. The first page is not numbered. However, now the pages
do not number correctly. I have literally spent hours on this, and no
matter what I do page -2- is correct, but it is followed by another
page -2-. I have tried every tactic I can think of but always end up with
the same result. Not surprisingly, I even tried to type it in manually but
that was also unsuccessful.

I am using Win 7 and Word 2010, but it is in compatibility mode because our
church secretary uses Word 2003. I did try converting a copy of this
document to see if I could make the change in "true" Word 2010. Failure,
again! I am truly a "beginner" because I have many years of experience in
WordPerfect, but I only use Word for this one function. I have learned a
lot about Word while working on the newsletters, but there are some features
(like this one) that I can perform easily in WP but have not been able to
figure out in Word.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
MaryL

Stefan Blom

In Word 2010, place the insertion point on the page where the page number
restarts. On the Insert tab, click Page Number, and then click Format Page
Numbers. Select "Continue from previous section" and click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I seem to be "part way there." I had been doing as you suggested
except that I was doing it within the header/footers. So, this time I
simply clicked on the page and selected "Continue from previous section."
Oddly, it corrected the problem with duplicate -2- for page numbers.
However, now I have duplicate page -3-, and I was unable to correct that
using the method you described. I tried making the correction by clicking
on *both* pages with this number, but the numbering sequence did not change.

Can you offer an addition suggestion as to what I am doing wrong or where
the problem lies?

MaryL

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

Page number options, including restarts, are *section-specific*, which means
that you have to find the location where a new section begins. You can switch to
Draft view and display nonprinting marks (click the ¶ button on the Home tab) in
order to see all section breaks.

Note that you can add a section break manually, but Word will add breaks for you
when you change section-level formatting (newspaper columns, page orientation,
etc.) for a selection.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much! That solved the problem.