I cannot delete page numbers in Word 2010 document

MaryL

I am not at all expert in Word. I normally use WordPerfect, but I am using
Word for our church newsletters because that is what the church secretary
needs. I created a document when I did the newsletters several years ago,
and I am back to doing the newsletters again after a couple of years of
turning it over to someone else. I think the original document was created
in Word 2007, but I am now using Word 2010. The document has numbering on
every page except one that I selected from options that were available in
Word 2007. The number is on the lower left of the page and has a sort of
"half box" above it with a line extending to both margins. Now, I have a
page border on every page, and that numbering format looks rather strange.
I would like to delete that and replace it with a simple page number at the
lower left or lower center of the page. I have tried numerous times and
can't get rid of it. In fact, now the option to remove page number is
grayed out but it still shows up (in very light print) on screen and prints
when I print the document.

Can anyone help? I spent a great deal of time with the rest of the page
formatting--scanned picture of the church, basic information at the top,
etc.--so I really want to keep this document and simply change the page
numbers.

Thanks,
MaryL

Stefan Blom

Double-click the header to activate the header/footer area. You can then simply
select and delete the footer content. To quickly add a simple page number, press
Alt+Shift+P.

MaryL

Perfect! And so simple. For future reference, is there a way to make the
page number bold or perhaps add a hyphen on each side of it while I am doing
this?

Thanks very much!
MaryL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Double-click the header to activate the header/footer area. You can then
simply
select and delete the footer content. To quickly add a simple page number,
press
Alt+Shift+P.

Stefan Blom

To select a page number format, use the Page Number Format dialog box.

To display the dialog box: When the insertion point is in a header or footer,
click the Header & Footer Tools Design tab, and then click Page Number, Format
page Numbers.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

MaryL

That is what I originally tried, but at that time I first needed to get rid
of the number format that was already on the page. I see now that I should
have used the method you described in your first message, then go to Page
Number Format if I want a specific type of page number. I still have not
succeeded in selecting a specific font and size for the page number (as I do
in WordPerfect), but I will learn.

Thanks!
MaryL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
To select a page number format, use the Page Number Format dialog box.

To display the dialog box: When the insertion point is in a header or
footer,
click the Header & Footer Tools Design tab, and then click Page Number,
Format
page Numbers.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom

You can apply the formatting you want directly to the page number field (after
you have activated the header/footer area as discussed previously, of course).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Suzanne S. Barnhill

There is also a Page Number character style that can be modified (in
addition to the Header and Footer paragraph styles).

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
You can apply the formatting you want directly to the page number field
(after
you have activated the header/footer area as discussed previously, of
course).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom

Modifying the Header (or Footer) paragraph style would work, of course, assuming
that one wants to change the entire header (footer) content.

As far as the Page Number character style is concerned, I'm not sure it would
work after you have manually added the PAGE field, but I have to admit I haven't
tested it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP