Windows XP I can't back up I-Tunes to DVD's

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just spent a lot of time re-compiling all my playlists for I-Tunes/My I-Pod after system crashed beacuse of a virus recently. First Virus I'd had in 6 years actually, thought I was bullet proof, but there ya go :(

I go through the I-Tunes procedure but it just spits out the DVD, I really don't know what's up and any help would be apreciated.

I also recenty configured a friend's I-Pod for a trip she was takng sailing off the coast of Vancouver and I done that on the second system in my sig. That system backed up to 4 DVD's perfectly.

The system I'm using to try and backup on is the first one in my sig.

I'd really like to do this thing as compiling all those playlists again after a system crash is a complete PITA.

And just by way of a mention, another problem, all of my desktop shortcuts now have a '.lnk' visible file extension on them. What's all that about?

I'm betting nobody comes up with any solutions for these probs, but if you do - I'll buy you a choc-ice, ok? :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, that was helpful..... not :D

So why I suddenly got this .lnk extension whereas I didn't before,

Fair cheeses me off :D

Anyway, ain't too bothered about that, it's the I-Tunes thing I want an answer for.

Betcha no-one can help.....

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the fact that the .lnk extensions have appeared is something to do with that virus, or a corruption after cleaning - what was it?

Here is a linky to others with that problem, and a possible fix.

Are you able to make a normal copy of the iTunes music folder together with the 2 libraries to DVD without using the itunes inbuilt procedure?

Edit: Oooops, I've just realised this is the Vista section - in which case the above fix etc probably won't help you, and neither probably can I :blush:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Who was a grumpy old Hector last night then? :lol: Sorry bout dat.

Ok, I've used the link Ady gave me to get rid of the .lnk extensions, all the links did actually work, it was just annoying.

After I got the virus five or six weeks ago, I fomatted C Drive (a RAID 0 array) before doing a fresh install of Win XP Pro. As it was my 4th install I had to phone MS to activate it :mad:

I'm using Kaspersky All-In-One and AdAware SE, both of which are up to date and I've just done a full system scan with both which found nothing. Apart from AdAware finding 17 cookies, anyway.

As for the i-Pod library, I can back up all the music folders to DVD as data, that's not the problem, it's having to put every album into a playlist if I do a fresh install that's the PITA.

Is there a place where all the playlists are kept? If I back them up as data presumably I could reinstall them?

Any help apreciated but I gotta rush out right now, so laters...

PS: Have moved this thread to the correct section... :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, this story has a conclusion.

If you look at the specs for my main system in my signature you may notice that all my drives are SATA, I have no IDE/PATA optical drives or hard disks.

So I had an idea.

I disconnected the data cable from my burner and fitted my Plextor burner from my other machine temporarily to the IDE port.

And it worked. I managed to backup all my I-Tunes music and - more importantly - playlists to 4 DVD's.

Which probably means I-Tunes doesn't favour SATA optical drives. Which, imo, is bad.

The more I use I-Tunes the more I'm noticing it's flaws.

Like, when you rip an album by various artists to m4a in I-Tunes, the tracks are scattered all over the place depending on the alphabetical order of the artist.

Why can't you designate a playlist before you rip and put all the tracks into it? Creating playlists is a pain. I think the option should be there, to make compilations, but albums should compile automatically into a playlist.

Oh well, when this I-Pod eventually craps out, it's a Creative Zen for me :)

But it will probably last for years and years, lol... :D

Ask a Question