Windows XP Final Step of Tune Up

Reaction score
happywave.gif
Over the last few days, I have been taking my excessively slow computer through some major upgrades. Better hardware, software, etc. Yesterday I cleaned and defragmented the registry and updated the drivers of the new hardware without any problems
. Now I'm left with cleaning up the hard drive and deleting all/near all junk files. I have ran HDValet, cleaned up the %Temp% folder, and cleaned up the program files folder. Right now I am focused on cleaning the WINDOWS folder...but simply put I have no clue where to start. The attachments show all of the folders in the windows directory. Could anyone tell me if the ones circled in black can safely be deleted without harming the system? (This is not all I have left to do. Expect quite a few posts to follow.;))

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 146
  • scrnshot2.JPG
    scrnshot2.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 148

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
why dont you just back up your data and reinstall windows? That would speed up the system and you dont have to go deleting folders that has a good chance of going wrong.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Deleting Files & Folders will not speed-up your PC ... indeed, you have marked several important folders that you should NOT delete.

Posting your PC specs may/should/will help us to make further suggestions.

If the "better hardware" install was a motherboard, then I would recommend a "clean install" of the OS.

:user:

Reaction score
I don't see any reason to go through the trouble of reinstalling the OS, the new hardware was just a graphics card, sound card, DVD-ROM drive, and more RAM. Basically things that I've been meaning to upgrade...nothing that major. I am wanting to get rid of these files because I'd like to free up some hard drive space. I've tried installing a new hard drive which didn't go too well, and required me to spend even more money for repairs. So I'm not doing that again.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    50.2 KB · Views: 153

Ask a Question