I am thankful for good people.

Reaction score
There are some good people in this world today.

Let me explain. I got up this morning and went for a stroll around Roman Road Market like I do most Saturdays. It can be quite a busy market, so there are always folk bumping into each other etc. I have my iPod turned up full with Nine Inch Nails going mad.
Anyway a few times I was aware of been bumped, but took no notice, like I said tis a busy market.
Anyway an hour or so later I have got home, took me jacket off and chcuked it on the sofa as you do. Unpacked the few bits and bobs I had bought, when the other half says me brother wants me to call him as soon as. I've gone to the sofa to get me mobile out me jacket to give him a tinkle. Mmmm no mobile in the pockets. I've checked on the floor, on the sofa, but no mobile. Asked the kids if they have picked it up, but no they haven't. I gave it a call, but it went straight to voice mail. In other words it were turned off. With that much unprintable language was used and I have prepaired myself for the fact I have yet again lost another mobile ( 3rd one this year ). So the rest of the day I have been sat around pretty much p*ssed off.

That was until about an hour ago when my landline rang and the other half shouted that there was somebody asking after Michael-James. A bit puzzled I took the phone from her and asked who was asking after me.
A young lad on the other end asked " Are you Micheal-James ? " To which I replied yes I am and who wants to know. The young lad says his name is Chris and he might have something I want. With that he asks me to describe my mobile and give the 1st 3 numbers in the phone book which I did without hesitation.

Anyway it turns out when I was walking through the market one of the bumps I got was a pick pocket ( crap one at that as he got caught ) This lad Chris and his mate have seen it happen and have caught the guy. As they have caught him they have shouted for me to stop, but having Nine Inch Nails thumping in my ears I haven't heard them.

I have one of those rubber see through cover things for my N95 and inside it I have a car which has my name on and my landline number and a small note saying "If found, please call this number" How thankful am I that I had that card in the protective case.

Anyway the lad has given me a call, explaing they seen it happen etc, caught the guy, got the phone off him, tried shouting out to me to stop.
I just went up the road to meet them and now have my phone back.

So tonigh as a show of greafulness I will have two lads to help me prop up the bar at " THe Cardigan " THe beers are on me all night long.
JUst goes to show there are some good people in the world still. They could so easily have kept the phone or even sold it.
There is also a lesson in this, keep a card with an " If found note in it

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you got it back :thumb: What happened to the guy they caught with it out of interest?

Reaction score
Crikey!! That was a stroke of luck!!

Presumably he didn't get nicked because the police would have taken the phone...

Wonder if they found out who he was or anything...

Reaction score
How great to hear an happy ending. I had my wallet nicked this morning at the market in Fuengirola, Spain. Whoever took it managed to unzip the compartment on my "man bag" which I had slung roung my neck and in front of me. These people should be brain surgeons. All praise to the Spanish police who have a multi-lingual department for reporting of such crimes. It's not the cash - it's having to cancel all the cards and driving licence etc. All the best
TandA

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice story madX. :nod: Glad it worked out for you.

IMO 95% of the population are "good people." You were lucky that the lads were part of that group and not the other lot.

Reaction score
Hi Madx.

Good to read that you got your phone back via some good people. Apart from the card you had in with the phone,another lesson would be not to have the music, or what ever,to loud so that every thing else is blotted out. Also think of your hearing, so think on.
historian ;)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
What happened to the guy they caught with it out of interest?

Christopherpostill said:
Crikey!! That was a stroke of luck!!

Presumably he didn't get nicked because the police would have taken the phone...

Wonder if they found out who he was or anything...

I actually didn't think to ask. I was just so releaved to get it back. The two lads did say Mr Pickpocket was a kid though, and they were two fare sized lads. So them catching him probably scared the crap out of him enough to warrent not calling the pollice. I know at the end of the day calling the police would have been the right thing to do, but there again scaring the crap out of the kid probably had more effect. The way kids are these days had the law been involved it would have just been something for him to brag to his mates about, they seem to think getting nicked is cool. Where as sh*tting yourself when 2 big lads catch you isn't something you run and tell your mates now is it ? :p

Reaction score
historian said:
another lesson would be not to have the music, or what ever,to loud so that every thing else is blotted out.

(I know exactly what you mean Historian. I have had a good few near misses nearly been run over by cars and motorcycles because I haven't heard them and beacuse of that it feels like they have come out of nowhere. Think its about time I listened to others advice and take the near misses into account and not listen to music so loud. It was just a brilliant track and one that needed the volume cranked...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TandA said:
How great to hear an happy ending. I had my wallet nicked this morning at the market in Fuengirola, Spain. Whoever took it managed to unzip the compartment on my "man bag" which I had slung roung my neck and in front of me. These people should be brain surgeons. All praise to the Spanish police who have a multi-lingual department for reporting of such crimes. It's not the cash - it's having to cancel all the cards and driving licence etc. All the best
TandA

Sorry to hear that! I see what you mean about being a brain surgeon, that is quite an achievement to steal something like that :eek: Hope you get everything sorted about the cards :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good News Mr Mad :)

imo most people are like that, there are plenty around, both now and then.

Incidents like this reinforce my optimism for the human race.

But then I read the news... :D

Reaction score
Good work, it sucks losing things!

I do the same with my USB drives, I put a 'readme' file in the root with my name and phone number incase it gets lost.

Ask a Question