HTML displaying with unknown file icon

Mark Chilvers

HTML files are displaying with the unknown file icon.

All settings are correct (Folder Options> File Types),
and the HTML files open correctly when double-clicked in
IE. Checking "Advanced" for "HTML Document" type even
shows the correct icon, but does not get shown in the
file type list, and for files in the Explorer.

Have even checked the Registry against another XP Pro
machine (against the "htmlFile" entry) and they are
identical....except one is working fine, and the other is
not.

It's not stopping me do anything (files open correctly)
just at a loss as to why it's happening.

zxcvb

Mark Chilvers said:
HTML files are displaying with the unknown file icon.

All settings are correct (Folder Options> File Types),
and the HTML files open correctly when double-clicked in
IE. Checking "Advanced" for "HTML Document" type even
shows the correct icon, but does not get shown in the
file type list, and for files in the Explorer.
<<snip>>

Just a thought. Have you tried "rebuild icons" using TweakUI?

Ramesh [MVP]

Hi Mark,
Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to the following location:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile]

Backup the key by exporting it as a REG file. After backing up the key, delete the htmlfile key from the registry.

Open Internet Explorer and click the Tools menu. Choose Internet Options and select the Programs tab.

Click Reset Web Settings button and complete the process.

Now, post the contents of the key "htmlfile", or you do a FileCompare to the existing key.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

HTML files are displaying with the unknown file icon.

All settings are correct (Folder Options> File Types),
and the HTML files open correctly when double-clicked in
IE. Checking "Advanced" for "HTML Document" type even
shows the correct icon, but does not get shown in the
file type list, and for files in the Explorer.

Have even checked the Registry against another XP Pro
machine (against the "htmlFile" entry) and they are
identical....except one is working fine, and the other is
not.

It's not stopping me do anything (files open correctly)
just at a loss as to why it's happening.

Mark Chilvers

Thanks Ramesh. I will give this a try and let you know if
it's successful.
Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to the following location:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile]

Backup the key by exporting it as a REG file. After
backing up the key, delete the htmlfile key from the
registry.
Open Internet Explorer and click the Tools menu. Choose
Internet Options and select the Programs tab.
Click Reset Web Settings button and complete the process.

Now, post the contents of the key "htmlfile", or you do a
FileCompare to the existing key.
--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User